Page 51 of 366 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Always keep this in mind...

Feedback Score
    Since I'm behind on this one...I'll play catch up.

Today:Got an extra pump for the well. Got an extra LPK for the AR count now is 5.

Past weekend: Fired up the propane gen. to make sure it works and do PM and cleaned the dust from it, check the pipe that runs from the tank to the gen. for any signs that need tending or replacement.

Got an extra LPK for the AR.

The past year: Also just had the "bug-out" house repainted useing some PVC type paint. Was done via contractor...just didn't have the time ourselves. Roofed redone due to major hail damage.

This is a multi family project started during the Y2K scare....has been refined and built upon since....KNOWING it will happen.

PLus it's a nice place to get away and play on 25acres.

We have also the peeps in our family that when pulled together have several trades covered such as a doctor, several handy men, hunters(bow) and shooters, mechanics. Some mothers really good with growing food.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Not much in preps lately, but did some. Got my elderly mother new phones, and an LED camp lantern (she lives in a retirement apt.). Forgot to take her a case of MREs this trip but that is on my list of things to do for her. She is not into prepping too much but is concerned about power outages now that she is in a smaller place and has less control and storage. Other family that lives nearer to her would check on her in case of a outage, but I am trying to get her supplied with at least a few basics to get along comfortably for a few days or a couple of weeks if need be. She has water filters but not much stock of bottled water so that is next on my list for her.

For myself, I got another 4 lbs of Power Pistol powder for the the 9mm and .40S&W, a hundred more rounds of .30 Carbine and 200 more 110 gr bullets, and 2,000 more target/field pellets. That pretty much finishes my reloading and ammunition preps after my summer reorganiztion and inventory planning for .223, .30-06, .308, .30 Carbine, 7.62x39, 9mm, .40S&W, .38 Special, .45ACP. .22LR and .177 air guns.

Also picked up a diamond grit "file" for sharpening tools. It has three plates of different fineness of grit held by a magnet to the file handle. Made by Chef's Choice and saw it at Cabela's while I was shopping for the LED lantern. I tried it out on a stubborn axe head and works way better than my standard mill file. Looking forward to cleaning up some edges on axes and hatchets. I will never buy axes from home improvement stores again, except for Estwing. The head and edge geometry is so screwed up on even the Made in USA axes. Future axe purchases will be from fire fighting or logging oriented retailers that carry professional grade axes that sharpen easily with an even taper and fine edge. I can't count the hours I have spent with grinder and file trying to correct bad head/edge shape on a few home improvement axes. These were like $35 I think, and the professional grade is more like $50-$100.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    More cheap pillar candles from the 2nd hand store and a couple of boxes of good defensive pistol ammo.

I think my buying for prep's has come to a impasse as it appears my stores and gear have grown to a level which supports the family for a solid year.

Other then rotating the food stores and up-grading a few minor pieces of gear I feel it now becomes a sit and wait to see what if anything occurs in the coming years.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Picked up the Mrs.'s a Lowe Alpine Gore-Tex Wilderness jacket on the cheap and picked up some sportsman dry boxes half off.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Bought a Mora knife for the trunk and a Gransfor Bruks axe.

Yesterday bought more peanut butter (price increases coming), some beans and misc canned goods.

Last week wife and I did some informal primative fire starting in the back yard but didn't actually make a fire outside of tinder due to burn bans.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My daughter and I did and inventory of all of our food/water storage items. Tonight we are going to work on making a map of our area for my two younger boys that will have directions and emergency numbers in case SHTF while they are at school (their elementary school is in our neighborhood). We are going to have those maps/cards laminated and then attached with a key ring to the inside of their backpacks.
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    My daughter and I did and inventory of all of our food/water storage items. Tonight we are going to work on making a map of our area for my two younger boys that will have directions and emergency numbers in case SHTF while they are at school (their elementary school is in our neighborhood). We are going to have those maps/cards laminated and then attached with a key ring to the inside of their backpacks.
    Excellent idea! I am going to do that when my grandkids get older. In fact that would be a good activity with them, to walk the route and make the maps together and then walk the route with the map so they are totally familiar with it.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 11-11-11 at 02:59.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not much happening today so decided to hit the local gun show over at the Armory to look at all the over priced items. The place was packed and everyone was spending buying every over priced gun in sight as if 2012 was right around the corner .

Any how I was standing at a table of a dealer who buys and sell magazines and was currently working on a trade for a box filled with unused British SA 80 30rd mags for some other type of magazines the dealer sold.

I watched the back and forth bartering for a few minutes and the dealer went off to help another customer when I asked what the current offer was for his British SA 80 magazines were and he replied $3.00 each.

I offered to buy all he had at $4.00 each and he accepted so we relocated so I could inspect the 21 magazines and found all to be in perfect condition with smooth follower travel.

Now these magazines are made of steel and have a grey parkerized finish with a black colored clone of a standard Green Mil-Spec follower. Spring pressure on all was strong and the floor plates were made of steel and unmarked. All magazines only had the single AR lock cut which seated perfectly in all of my AR's and dropped out cleanly.

I never owned a British SA 80 magazine before and was wondering if I made a good deal or wasted cash. At worst they would be range mag's or if they work out then loaded ready mag's stored in the vehicle.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I never owned a British SA 80 magazine before and was wondering if I made a good deal or wasted cash.
    According to this thread I think you got a hell of deal and the mags are GTG!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55282

I would research on the markings and verify manufacture. I do this with all my "GI" mags.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Page 51 of 366 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast