Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: "Best" .22LR Defensive Ammo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
    Assuming it runs well in your gun, you may consider Aguila SSS. The 60 gr bullet means 50% more mass than a typical 22 LR. Expect below average accuracy but for a belly gun out to 20 feet or whatever, it's gonna punch a hole in what you hit
    THE SSS is fun & hits hard, but it rarely functions reliably in semiautos & isn't very accurate unless you have a barrel with a fast enough twist.
    "The road to hell is paved with flip-flops" Claude Werner

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot TX View Post
    THE SSS is fun & hits hard, but it rarely functions reliably in semiautos & isn't very accurate unless you have a barrel with a fast enough twist.
    I've seen it crono'd out of small handguns and noted velocities in the high 500s and low 600s, a Sim round is almost 500fps, and the old "Super Police" load with a 200gr bullet launched at similar speeds was well known to be very poor at putting bad guys down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556A2 View Post
    I know its a oxymoron. Let me explain before the inevitable flaming, and beat-down occurs.

I'm seriously debating on getting a .22LR pocket pistol like a Beretta 21A as a BUG. The reason is at our workshop, I am 99% more likely to be a victim of a Copperhead, Cottonmouth, or Timber Rattlesnake bite than a human attacker due to it being by a heavily wooded (and secluded) lake. Plus it would be quieter than a centerfire cartridge as not to disturb the only local resident near our shop. I ALWAYS have a M9 or G17 on me, and my business partner normally has his G17 on him. So this will NOT be a primary defensive firearm.

So a .22 would actually be ideal to be in my pocket over a .380 for the intended use. I am in no way thinking a .22 is near ideal for defensive use, and this would pretty much only be in use at work.

However, assuming that I expended all my 9mm (and my business partner expends all his), and I'm only left with a .22LR...... what would be the "best" load to reach 12" of penetration?
    I have a close friend who uses the Beretta model 21 as a BUG and that pistol is often complemented with a G-26.

I have fired several 21s and my opinion is that although it can be a reliable pistol, I would much prefer a .32 ACP chambered in a Seecamp or similar quality pistol. But FWIW, he seems to have had the best luck with CCI .22 LR loads.

I have personally fired hundreds of thousands of .22 rounds and only recall ignition problems with low-quality bulk type rounds. However, by the far the lowest quality/ problematic rounds that I have encountered were produced by Remington.

CCI is probably one of the most consistent quality made rimfire ammunition rounds that you can buy until you venture into the match ammo, as the other member referenced (i.e., Eley, RWS, SKD, Lapua, etc.). I have found that either CCI mini-mags or plain 40gr standard velocity rounds are very accurate, reliable, and not expensive for the quality.

In regards to the shotshells, I have used both .22 LR and .22 WMR shotshells on birds with a rifle and pistol. By far the .22 WMR was much more effective on birds (starlings). However, I have not shot a snake with either. I have shot three snakes in the desert with a 12 GA shotgun and a 9mm pistol and noted that rattle snakes have a tenacity for life.

I like .22s alot too. And have been considering picking-up the SW 351 in .22 WMR. It is a neat little pistol (I have handled one but not shot-it) and would fit my needs nicely for a trail gun and to dispatch a wounded Big game animal.

The .22 WMR is a great little round and would likely lend itself to dispatching a snake or other varmint better than the standard .22 LR. And a revolver is about as reliable as you can get. The only down sides to the choice are the additional cost of the ammunition, the greater cost of the gun (SW 351), and the larger size [than the Beretta 21].

Regards
    SkiDevil

Links: http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Ca...mp-Pistols.htm

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=5&loadNo=0032

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...specialty.aspx

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/whatsnew/newproducts.aspx
    Note: Name changed/ Used to be called Standard Mini-Mag High Velocity Rn load

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    a Sim round is almost 500fps, and the old "Super Police" load with a 200gr bullet launched at similar speeds was well known to be very poor at putting bad guys down.
    Don't know what a 60gr .22 can do but the soft tissue penetration of the 200gr Super Police, even at 600fps, must be considerable. I know it doesn't do well against automotive sheet metal though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 200RNL View Post
    Don't know what a 60gr .22 can do but the soft tissue penetration of the 200gr Super Police, even at 600fps, must be considerable. I know it doesn't do well against automotive sheet metal though.
    Does really poorly against bone as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think if I was going to use a .22LR for last ditch defense because I ran out of every other caliber then I would most likely go with a high end Match load were the brand was known for stringent quality control. More so that any other factor I want that rim fire to go bang when I pull the trigger and have enough velocity to positively cycle the action. After that a standard lead or copper plated 40gr solid would be best for penetration. I would totally discount any expansion as it would only limit the already anemic cartridge penetration wise.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

.22Lr Defensive Ammo

I too have a Beretta 21A and it always feed reliably with Federal Champion 40gr ammo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by _rab_ View Post
    Food for thought, I've never fired a .22 magnum, so I can't testify about it's report. However, you may consider a S&W 351 PD AirLite. Small, light, and a slightly more adequate round, with 7 shots, more reliable than a .22 autoloader.

Just food for thought.
    I have a few thousand holster hours with this lil' piece. It's my carry as a back-up or when it absolutely must stay out of sight for sure. Super light, very compact and shoots right where it points. Other than it's stiff price tag, the fact it is LOUD and it does shoot a bit of a flame - I can't find much fault with it. The debate on trusting a rimfire for self defense is one I'm not going to play. If you don't; then don't. I have specific requirements and this pistol fills that bill. I'm very comfortable trusting my hide to it. YMMV

I only shoot the Winchester Supreme 34gr jacketed hollow point ammo. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...004000_425-4-1

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In a must use .22LR situation I would stick with CCI Min-mags and Velocitors. They are proven reliable as any .22lr and hit hard enough to cause some damage.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Experience

I work for a .gov that controls coyotes and beavers on a weekly basis using a .22LR RIFLE. Both of those animals rarely stop right away after direct hits to the vitals. The example of the "200 LB Methhead" and a 3" barrel would be concerning.

We exclusivelly use CCI Mini Mag solids. The SGB is great as well, but not as easy to find locally. The biggest concern in my opinion would be reliable cycling of the weapon since any round is going to be marginal on lethal performance.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
    Abraham Lincoln

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345