Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Best" .22LR Defensive Ammo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    <SNIP>
    I had actually thought about the shotshell cartridges, but its a specialty round that won't work an automatic. I decided against going down the revolver path since I never shoot them as well as autos.

I'm pretty adamant about keeping this a .22LR for several reasons:
    1. Report
    2. Effective against its primary threats (Venomous Snakes)
    3. Cheap cost & practice
    4. While rimfire is not as consistent as centerfire, quality rimfire cartridges tend to always work (NEVER seen a FTF with CCI Rimfire).
    5. I can do some plinking with it if I wanted to as well.

So while its far from ideal against a 200lb methhead, its actually ideal for my intended purpose. In fact, I will probably just use it as a BUG at work. When going home for the weekend, or going to town it would probably be replaced by a LCP.

I just don't know what loading I should pick in the very rare case I would have to solely rely on it against a human threat.

(Also open to other small .22LR autos. Just planning on a 21A since I carry a M9 frequently).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You should look at the Aguila Interceptor. 40 grain plated round nose that is the hotest round available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556A2 View Post
    I had actually thought about the shotshell cartridges, but its a specialty round that won't work an automatic. I decided against going down the revolver path since I never shoot them as well as autos.

I'm pretty adamant about keeping this a .22LR for several reasons:
    1. Report
    2. Effective against its primary threats (Venomous Snakes)
    3. Cheap cost & practice
    4. While rimfire is not as consistent as centerfire, quality rimfire cartridges tend to always work (NEVER seen a FTF with CCI Rimfire).
    5. I can do some plinking with it if I wanted to as well.

So while its far from ideal against a 200lb methhead, its actually ideal for my intended purpose. In fact, I will probably just use it as a BUG at work. When going home for the weekend, or going to town it would probably be replaced by a LCP.

I just don't know what loading I should pick in the very rare case I would have to solely rely on it against a human threat.

(Also open to other small .22LR autos. Just planning on a 21A since I carry a M9 frequently).
    556A2,

In the event that you have to employ your Beretta 21A loaded with shotshells against a 200 pound "meth-head", I believe that you'll find it terribly lacking since those tiny #9 pellets (0.08 inches in diameter and ~0.75 grains in weight) will only provide about 2.50 - 3.00 inches of penetration (@ 850 - 950 fps) against soft tissue and will be deflected by even the thinnest bone should they encounter it after impact.

Although the device above (the Paco tool) is an interesting idea, if the bullet is fired at a velocity that will not initiate expansion with the factory formed JHP (the pressure produced at impact velocity fails to exceed the yield strength of the lead alloy composing the bullet which in turn drives expansion), altering a LRN to a JHP configuration with the tool is also unlikely to produce expansion. (plastic deformation)

I'd really urge you to stick with the fastest .22LR 40 gr. (plated) LRN that you can find, but ultimately the choice is yours.

The Aguila Interceptor suggested by sjc3081 seems to be a promising option.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by 481; 06-12-11 at 12:42.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Arrow

I tested my 21A ,350 rounds of Interceptor in one siting rapid fire no additional lube or cleaning , no malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556A2 View Post
    First, I've run CCI's shotshells (in small quantities) through an early production HK45 with zero issues.

Second, if you're shooting at snakes, does it really matter if you have to manipulate the slide after every shot?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    First, I've run CCI's shotshells (in small quantities) through an early production HK45 with zero issues.

Second, if you're shooting at snakes, does it really matter if you have to manipulate the slide after every shot?
    I've never seen the 9mms run in several pistols. I'm leary of them, and I wouldn't trust #12 shot out of a 12 gauge let alone a 9mm if I ever would have to use it against an attacker.

I also find it unacceptable to use any ammo that requires me to manipulate the slide. It defeats the purpose of a semiautomatic.

I'm leaning towards 481's advice to go with a heavy 40-grain LRN. I think CCI's SGB will fit the bill with it being a 40-grain LFN.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The OP states he plans to use his .22LR backup pistol for SNAKES! Not 200 lb meth heads. He carries a Glock for 2 legged critters. Please read the OP before criticizing him.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    The OP states he plans to use his .22LR backup pistol for SNAKES! Not 200 lb meth heads. He carries a Glock for 2 legged critters. Please read the OP before criticizing him.
    So can we 1911 Afficianados make fun of his choice of a glock?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I know of a Sheriff's department that issued the 21s to all of the troops, required that they carry it as a BUG on duty unless they supplied a larger caliber personal weapon, and allowed them to be carried off-duty as well. They actually trained and qual'd with the little guns, quite a bit since ammo was so cheap.

Not my first choice, but a .22lr NSR to a bad guy's face ain't a bad option to have vs no BUG at all.

Check out "Southnarc"s Total Protection site and look up "old man gun". Claude Werner does a well thought out write-up on why he bought and modified a 21 for his dad (CT laser grips, tool on board to pop out a round in case of a fails-to-fire, etc.).

Ammo is whatever is most reliable in your gun, this is the most critical aspect.
    Currently Claude uses CCI Mini Mags or the Velocitor as they have tested to be reliable in his gun. The Velocitor won't expand from that short of a barrel, but it does open up just slightly in the tests he ran so that the bullet becomes very wadcutter-ish.
    Stingers ain't a bad choice either in my experience.

Doc can correct me on this, but almost any .22lr round, be it solid or HP, will pretty much act the same in gel, basically fails to expand and eventually yaws to a 180, penetration near 12" for the most part, give or take.

I think for your needs this ain't a bad choice at all, and you can afford to become VERY good with a .22 due to low ammo costs.

Feedback Score
    I have thought many times about a .22 to carry as an "outdoor gun" in addition to my carry pistol. Every time I do, I relize that as much as I want a beretta 21 in .22 it is just not a good choice. For .22 I simply cannot see using any auto because of .22 ammo's spotty reliability. The S&W 317 looks like about the best option as you can simply pull the trigger again and go to the next round. Or try the beretta in .25.
    You can never make anyting idiot-proof, whenever you get close they just build a better idiot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast