Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Best" .22LR Defensive Ammo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    The OP states he plans to use his .22LR backup pistol for SNAKES! Not 200 lb meth heads.
    Given the highlighted (in bold red) portion of the OP's initial (and one subsequent) post below, it would appear that the OP has considered using his 21A for "back up" use on 200 pound "meth-heads".

Why would he be looking for a load that produces at least 12 inches of penetration?

Do you honestly believe that he is planning to shoot snakes length-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by 556A2 View Post
    I know its a oxymoron. Let me explain before the inevitable flaming, and beat-down occurs.

I'm seriously debating on getting a .22LR pocket pistol like a Beretta 21A as a BUG. The reason is at our workshop, I am 99% more likely to be a victim of a Copperhead, Cottonmouth, or Timber Rattlesnake bite than a human attacker due to it being by a heavily wooded (and secluded) lake. Plus it would be quieter than a centerfire cartridge as not to disturb the only local resident near our shop. I ALWAYS have a M9 or G17 on me, and my business partner normally has his G17 on him. So this will NOT be a primary defensive firearm.

So a .22 would actually be ideal to be in my pocket over a .380 for the intended use. I am in no way thinking a .22 is near ideal for defensive use, and this would pretty much only be in use at work.

However, assuming that I expended all my 9mm (and my business partner expends all his), and I'm only left with a .22LR...... what would be the "best" load to reach 12" of penetration?
    So while its far from ideal against a 200lb methhead, its actually ideal for my intended purpose. In fact, I will probably just use it as a BUG at work. When going home for the weekend, or going to town it would probably be replaced by a LCP.

I just don't know what loading I should pick in the very rare case I would have to solely rely on it against a human threat.

Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Please read the OP before criticizing him.
    Are you serious?

I see no posts where anyone has criticized the OP at all.

In fact, it appears that there are several members here (including myself) interested in helping him arrive at a solid decision so as to ensure his safety.
    Last edited by 481; 06-12-11 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    I've never seen the 9mms run in several pistols. I'm leary of them, and I wouldn't trust #12 shot out of a 12 gauge let alone a 9mm if I ever would have to use it against an attacker.

I also find it unacceptable to use any ammo that requires me to manipulate the slide. It defeats the purpose of a semiautomatic.

I'm leaning towards 481's advice to go with a heavy 40-grain LRN. I think CCI's SGB will fit the bill with it being a 40-grain LFN.

556A2,

The CCI SGB should do nicely!

Kudos to Jake'sDad for the recomendation.
    Last edited by 481; 06-12-11 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pick a reliable load, ain't enough of a difference in any of the high speed .22lr loads to make any real difference.

Feedback Score
    Wonder how effective a 40gr would be from a 18" 10-22 Ruger. It's about the only firearm my wife can handle for home defense.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 200RNL View Post
    Wonder how effective a 40gr would be from a 18" 10-22 Ruger. It's about the only firearm my wife can handle for home defense.

Go with solids, they penetrate rather well, and normally yaw, often to the 180 and finish up backwards typically.

The Velocitor does interest me in this role though.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/CCI%20Ve...Dot%20JHP.html
    Last edited by tpd223; 06-13-11 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The 21 is a very reliable .22 when fed the right ammo. The cheaper value packs like the stuff from Wal-Mart and CCI blazes work well for practice. Hollow points are not going to expand from that short barrel; it’s just not going to happen.

Another consideration is the small sights on the pistol. They are tiny and crude and in the two I have used did not hit point of aim.

If you are going to carry in your pocket then I would recommend cutting the hammer back so it will not snag.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    I can tell you the CCI Velocitors will kill 5 lb nutria rats out of my Walther P22 at 15 yards, I also have shot cottonmouths and regular water moccasins if you hit them with that bullet it will deter them rather quickly. The Walther barrel is not that much longer than the Beretta and at a few feet these bullets are very lethal on snakes, I blew a water moccasin in half when I emptied the mag on one a couple years ago.
    The nutria all swim off if hit by regular .22's, but with the Velocitor they flop around and roll over dead if hit in any vital area or neck.

Feedback Score
    For a Beretta 21A I suggest CCI .22 LR 40gr SGB (Small Game Bullet). It uses a flat nose bullet propelled at Mini Mag velcity.
    Last edited by Shawn Dodson; 06-13-11 at 13:42.
    Shawn Dodson

Feedback Score
    The previous posts have pointed you to the correct ammunition in my opinion.

Food for thought, I've never fired a .22 magnum, so I can't testify about it's report. However, you may consider a S&W 351 PD AirLite. Small, light, and a slightly more adequate round, with 7 shots, more reliable than a .22 autoloader.

I put down sneaks with my Glock 20, and I've never had to shoot at a poisonous sneak that's running from me. Every time, I have time to stop, take my ear protection from my backpack, take aim, and squeeze the trigger. I wouldn't be concerned with accuracy when talking venemous snakes.

Just food for thought.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Assuming it runs well in your gun, you may consider Aguila SSS. The 60 gr bullet means 50% more mass than a typical 22 LR. Expect below average accuracy but for a belly gun out to 20 feet or whatever, it's gonna punch a hole in what you hit

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast