Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shotgun ammo selection

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    FWIW, I asked about the Lawman stuff because I already have it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Once you need to buy slugs, you might consider Winchester 2.75 Foster slugs as they are inexpesive, accurate and shoot about the same POI in my shotguns as the 2.75 Brenneke Classic Magnums I carry.

Feedback Score
    I shot a lot of the 2 3/4" Brenneke Classic Magnums, and the similar 2 3/4" Brenneke Heavy Field Short Magnums. The performance is impressive, as is the RECOIL!!! Compared to the 'Low Recoil' 9-pellet 00 Buck load I shoot, the recoil is a LOT more... close to PAINFUL, in all honesty.

I eventually switched my 'serious' slug load to the 2 3/4" Brenneke Tactical Home Defense (1 ounce, same basic slug style as the Brenneke Heavy Field Short Magnum, but lighter and slower). This slug will do everything you need for LE and HD, but the recoil is a lot more tolerable!!! Check it out...
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 07-18-11 at 13:21.

Feedback Score
    For personal SHTF scenarios I like to run a saddle with multiple options. I run 00Buck in the tube and have other options at the ready. 00Buck is similar to throwing 9 9mm bullets at the bad guy, just remember where they are going if you miss him!

Feedback Score
    Merc8541,

00 Buck is about .33" in diameter and weighs only 55 grains, if memory serves me correctly. You can count on about 13-15" of penetration, maybe a bit more depending on velocity. Expansion will be small, if at all. The wound track from a 00 Buck pellet will not be anything remarkable.

9mm is .355" in diameter and the 'better' JHP loads weigh 124 to 147 grains, if memory serves. You can still get 13-15" of penetration with the 9mm (JHP's), but expansion and the resulting crushed tissues with 9mm JHP's will produce a much more devastating wound track than a 00 Buck pellet can/will. Even a FMJ/FMC 9mm with little/no expansion will do far more damage per projectile than 00 Buck due to far greater penetration and bullet yaw effects.

I do, however, agree 100% with having 00 Buck loaded in a shotgun for a SHTF scenario... I feel the same way!!!
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 07-18-11 at 20:43.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234