Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RRA LAR8 Review and Range Report

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

RRA LAR8 Review and Range Report

Finally got my RRA LAR-8 out to the range.

(Major Add ons: Magpul PRS--highly recommended, Millet TRS-1 4-16x50)

(Factory Config) (LAR-8, 20" HBAR, Free Float Half-Quad Rail)

Couple of notes on the RRA LAR-8.

1.) It is the least expensive AR-10 in its class--a similarly equipped DPMS SASS will cost about $1,800. Mine cost approximately $1,400.

2.) Parts compatibility. One of the more frustrating things about the LAR-8 is the lack of parts compatibility. Installing the Magpul PRS required a stock extension as the charging handle doesn't clear the PRS cheekpiece. In addition, the LAR-8 won't accept BCM .308 charging handles or Magpul LR20 pmags. Due to this, I had to (a) place the scope further back for proper eye relief and LOP and (b) add a PRI big latch (just the latch, not the overpriced complete charging handle).

3.) Magazines. Uses FAL magazines, both metric and inch pattern. Although my FN Fal mags run fine in my LAR8, my LAR8 mags cause double feeds in my FAL. Guess LAR mags aren't backwards compatible.

4.) Gun isn't too heavy. It's about 9lbs. But once the scope and bipod are on, the gun gets substantially heavier.

5.) Gun has ambi-controls with the exception of the selector lever (bolt release, mag release are both ambidextrous). That's a nice touch.

6.) RRA two stage trigger is nice--reportedly set to break at 4.5lbs. However, in the past I have heard of RRA triggers breaking and become very light single stage triggers.

7.) Gas Block's clamped on. We'll see how that holds up. RRA also had a sling mount on the gas block--pretty stupid for a precision rifle. I punched that out.

On to the range report.
    ========================

I started with a 25-50-100 zero. Nothing really significant except that at 100 yards, I was chasing zero for a while due to the M80 ball I was shooting. Once I switched to Black Hills 168gr Match my groups tightened up significantly.

I used to think that video games about peoples' vision going bad when holding their breath was crap, but today, at 100 yards, when I held my breath for too long, my vision definitely became blurry. In addition, I was a little sore from exercising yesterday so it was hard to center the crosshairs at 100 yards. If there's any inaccuracy in this gun, it is definitely the shooter.

Anyway, here's a 5 shot group from 100 yards:

Here's a 3 shot using Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr:

A lot of stringing came from the shooter. Once I sand-bagged the stock, my groups started sliding horizontally:

Center group was with 175gr FGMM. Top left BH 168 Match, bottom left 168gr FGMM, bottom right the same, and top right 175gr FGMM.

The gun mostly stayed around 1 MOA, but I managed to wrangle out some ~.6 MOA groups center to center. I definitely have a lot to learn when it comes to precision shooting. Hoping to return with some clover-leafed shot patterns the next time around. Gonna have to buy more precision ammo ($75 shipped for 3 boxes [60rds] of M118LR--yikes!).
    ===================

About a month later, I added on a Leupold MK4 that I purchased for a great price.

Took it to the range again and managed some *very* tight groups.

=======================

So what do you guys think, is this a 800M/1000M capable rifle?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yes....it is capable of 800 - 1000 yards. Shot my BM308 at 800 yards hitting 8" steel plates.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchen986 View Post
    So what do you guys think, is this a 800M/1000M capable rifle?
    Let us see how you do with a few 10-shot groups at 100yds.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    2.) Parts compatibility. One of the more frustrating things about the LAR-8 is the lack of parts compatibility. Installing the Magpul PRS required a stock extension as the charging handle doesn't clear the PRS cheekpiece.
    Just out of curiousity, did you use the 308 version of the PRS?
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    Just out of curiousity, did you use the 308 version of the PRS?
    Yes, it was the .308 PRS. RRA messed up and did not make their CH compatible with the .308 PRS (even with the shorter .308 PRS cheekrest) .

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Yes, it was the .308 PRS. RRA messed up and did not make their CH compatible with the .308 PRS (even with the shorter .308 PRS cheekrest) .
    So what did you do to make it compatible? Yesterday it was an academic question. Today, more economic :-) Customer came and picked up some stuff and wanted a PRS for his LAR8 and I mentioned the incompatibility to him...
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    So what did you do to make it compatible? Yesterday it was an academic question. Today, more economic :-) Customer came and picked up some stuff and wanted a PRS for his LAR8 and I mentioned the incompatibility to him...
    http://www.brownells.com/mobile/aspx....aspx?pid=5559

This should be it. Make sure to use the shorter included screw. Otherwise the buffer will hit the longer screw and potentially shortstroke.

If the link doesn't work, just search for A2 stock extender.

Hope this helped!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    http://www.brownells.com/mobile/aspx....aspx?pid=5559

This should be it. Make sure to use the shorter included screw. Otherwise the buffer will hit the longer screw and potentially shortstroke.

If the link doesn't work, just search for A2 stock extender.

Hope this helped!
    Danke, Gracias, and Arigato! I will forward the info on to the guy.

Feedback Score
    Does the stock extender also allow for use of the Gunfughter charging handle from Bravo Company? I have one on my 5.56 AR and would LOVE to put on on my LAR-8 Varmint.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't believe so. IIRC, the BCM .308AR gunfighter Charging Handle is not long enough for the RRA LAR 8's bolt carrier. Thus, extending the stock-length doesn't do anything to enhance charging handle compatibility.

I love the Gunfighter CH too. I have 2 of them on my AR-15s, but when I did my research, the BCM GF CH would not work with LAR8s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast