Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hornady .223 "Training" Ammo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MBRMan View Post
    If you talk to Hornady, I'm sure they will tell you their cases come from Barnaul in Russia, in which case the coating (laquer) is pretty much exactly what Wolf uses.

MBR

Great... HornyWolf

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The Ohio State Highway Patrol swat team had serious problems with the 55 grain TAP practice ammo. When I attended thier special response team course they said that the practice ammo damaged thier rifles exact words were the TAP practice ammo blew up three of our rifles. When Honaday was contacted about the problem. they immediately sent OSP swat a drop shippment of 55 grain TAP duty ammo.I cant remember the exact number of ammo that was replaced but it was in the thousands

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4A131 View Post
    The Ohio State Highway Patrol swat team had serious problems with the 55 grain TAP practice ammo. When I attended thier special response team course they said that the practice ammo damaged thier rifles exact words were the TAP practice ammo blew up three of our rifles. When Honaday was contacted about the problem. they immediately sent OSP swat a drop shippment of 55 grain TAP duty ammo.I cant remember the exact number of ammo that was replaced but it was in the thousands
    How did we not hear about this? THREE KBs, all ammunition attritibutable ?

Any photos or documentation? Please do not take this as doubt of your credability, I would just like to see what happened.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4A131 View Post

Interesting that this is your first post.

I have never heard of a single "kaboom" with any Hornady ammo as they pride themselves on quality.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    How did we not hear about this? THREE KBs, all ammunition attritibutable ?
    Not specific to Hornady, but there are bunches of things you'll never hear about, if no one on the line is inclined to broadcast their occurence in the public venues.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Not specific to Hornady, but there are bunches of things you'll never hear about, if no one on the line is inclined to broadcast their occurence in the public venues.
    Wow, I was unaware that Ohio State SWAT is Tier 1, TS/SCI.

Just kidding, don't get mad.

Agreed, things can happen that never make it to public knowledge, but considering the people that are members here and at ARFCOM and other more exclusive places like 10-8 or the TriCon/EAG Alumni Forum, I kinda thought that someone would have said something, even if only a warning to their friends and coworkers.

But anything is possible. Just hoping for some kind of verification.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I think I would have surely stopped using the ammo after the second KB (assuming this story has a factual basis.)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I wasn't present when the kabooms occurred. Just repeating what a member of the osp srt said.
    I almost forgot THIS MAKES MY SECOND POST

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Exactly so.

My new agency (I recently retired, and hired on with a local sheriff's office as a range monkey) had a bad lot of Blazer .45 ammunition a few years back. No guns were damaged, but the ammo was useless for training and was a colossal PITA the get exchanged.

Then there were the 70+ Sig P226R frames that were mis-machined and had to be sent back; once Sig finally responded , acknowledged the problem, and got their collective asses out of low gear.

We're not talking about some podunk Mayberry RFD agency; this is a large sheriff's office with almost 800 sworn deputies.

I could go on, but the point is that there are PLENTY of problems out there that never see the light of public dissemination.

Sometimes, folks on these boards seem to forget that most of the guys on the pointy end of the stick don't have time (nor the interest) to participate in internet forums...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12