Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig 1911's....Good?

Feedback Score
    The last time that I was at the range qualifying, a couple of co-workers had new 1911's with them. One was a SIG 1911 (don't remember the model) that ran very well. The other was a Kimber "SIS" that couldn't get through a mag without a problem.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Here's a post I put on 1911forum.com
    Quote Originally Posted by anto View Post
    Took delivery of my first 1911 yesterday, a Sig Nitron Railed.
    I had already ordered a few parts for it - magwell, SS busing & endcap. Took some pictures of the sear, disconnector & hammer as well, for those wondering what's MIM & what's not.

Couple of questions:

Can a magwell, bushing or endcap affect slide to frame fitment (flushness) in the rear? After I installed all the parts, I noticed a bit of a gap that's small but noticeable, and I'm not sure if it was there to begin with. I reinstalled the stock bushing & endcap, and it was still off by a hair.

Gap in question:

Internals:

Upgrades:

Plunger staking:

Since then, I've noticed that the frame underhang under the slide is common, as it is present on two other Sig 1911's that are at the shop. I've put around 150 rounds through it so far, with only 1 doublefeed when my buddy was shooting it (possible user error).
    Thus far I've disabled the S80 slide & frame parts, planning to fit a standard 1911 slide with internal extractor as a project. I figure the cost of getting slide serrations cut & refinished is around the same price as a new slide, so might as well try it out.

Thus far on the pistol:
    Fusion .120 chamfered bushing & thick flange
    Fusion magwell
    STI Aluminum trigger
    XP firing pin spring
    TJ customs S80 disable plate
    EGW FPS
    Painted front

Getting:
    10-8/Warren blacked out rears
    VZ aliens / dirty olive
    Ambi safety

My .45 dies are coming in tomorrow, so I will definitely be putting this thing through a few hundred rounds. Will post results.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I had a SIG 1911, shot around 3,000 rounds through it before I decided that I wanted to consolidate all my pistols to 9mm. I never experienced any problems with it, and it actually had a better trigger than another 'name brand' $1,700 1911 I was shooting. I shot the hell out of it at Vickers classes (he said nothing about it one way or the other), and it held up fine. Would I get another? No. I liked it but there are as good or better 1911s around the same price. Would I have an issue having another? Not if it was the one I had. Like most everything SIG nowadays there are too many hits-and-misses with QC, and their guns are like Forest Gump's famous box of chocolates.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    If I was going to buy a mid-range production 1911 (e.g. nicer than an RIA, not as nice as say a Springfield TRP) right now, I would look very hard at Smith and Wesson or Springfield's offerings.

Feedback Score
    I've got a Rev 2-Tone TTT that I just started shooting. I've got about 100 rounds through it including some lightly loaded 200gr SWC BE rounds. Thus far I haven't have any functioning issues. Fit and finish are good, and with the exception of the unique slide profile and external extractor all the parts are standard 1911.

The SIG forum is full of doom and gloom about the newer US made pistols, but there seem to be few actual complaints compared to the amount of people bitching that they'll never buy a new SIG. I also have a P220R Sport that's hasn't had any issues aside from not liking Blazer aluminum ammo. Anyone can build a bad gun. If I stayed away from every company that had bad press on an internet forum, I'd never own a gun.

Feedback Score
    I've got a Sig GSR in a commander slide. Nitron finish. I've got about 700 rounds through it. I do get the occasional out of battery (feeds the next round, but slide does not go back fully into battery), especially if it feeds low powered ammo like WWB or Fiocchi. I like way the gun shoots. It's dead accurate at the 25 yrd line. The stock trigger is very crisp, with no creep. I've yet to have issues with the external extractor. I may do some research and buy a new heavier recoil spring to see if that fixes the out of battery issues.

If I did (read Marylander :-( ) carry, the Sig would be one of the last guns I'd choose. If I want to go to the range and plink at a 25 yrd bull, I would definitely take it along.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I had already ordered a Scorpion a while back and have been waiting for a while now for it to arrive. Thanks god I seen this thread and had time to cancel my order with the dealer. Went up there this morning to look at a STI Trojan and the "E" series Smith's and ended up walking out with a Colt "80" series MK IV Government model 1911 that was used with 7 mags. Think I will be good for now until my dealer starts carrying the Les Baer's and Ed Brown's.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackboar View Post
    I've got a Sig GSR in a commander slide. Nitron finish. I've got about 700 rounds through it. I do get the occasional out of battery (feeds the next round, but slide does not go back fully into battery), especially if it feeds low powered ammo like WWB or Fiocchi. I like way the gun shoots. It's dead accurate at the 25 yrd line. The stock trigger is very crisp, with no creep. I've yet to have issues with the external extractor. I may do some research and buy a new heavier recoil spring to see if that fixes the out of battery issues.

If I did (read Marylander :-( ) carry, the Sig would be one of the last guns I'd choose. If I want to go to the range and plink at a 25 yrd bull, I would definitely take it along.
    Might want to send it back to Sig. My gun would also fail to feed weak WWB rounds, but worked well with the hotter Blazer .45ACP. Once I sent it back and they replaced the extractor, it functioned a lot better with cheap WWB.

My Sig 1911 is also dead accurate--but I think that's true of the 1911 series in general. Did a clover leaf with it at 25 yards.

(Orange target on right)
    Last edited by Kchen986; 06-29-11 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Sig 1911's....Good?

Sig have a reputation of producing quality pistol, but may take on the subject matter if you are really interested in getting a good reliable 1911 go get a Les Baer, Wilson and if those brand are beyond your budget then Springfield and you'll not regret it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by payj View Post
    When I think 1911 I do not think of Sig,
    This. Far too many quality 1911's in the price range to add the above who decided to jump on the 1911 bandwagon.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast