Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage quality and reputation

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Savage quality and reputation

The Ruger GSR coming out in left-handed has sort of re-ignited my casual browsing for a quality left-handed bolt action rifle. I saw that Savage produces quite a few of their models in left-hand (relatively speaking) at a generally lower price than its competitors.

What's the general opinion of Savage centerfire rifles around here? Are they worth considering?

Feedback Score
    Savage makes a decent entry level gun. It meets the basic requirements of a factory bolt gun and is a acceptable first step in the market.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Savage makes an excellent production rifle.

I have three suggestions:

1. Use the search function in this forum using key words “Savage” and “Left-hand”.

2. Consider sticking with a right-handed action (the above search will show threads on the this subject)

3. Consider the .260 Remington caliber.

Feedback Score
    The nice thing about a Savage is that the owner can easily change out the barrel.....which I guess then would get you into the intermediate level rifle category.

I'm still working on loads for my Savage 10 FCP HS Precision I picked up earlier this year. The best 100 yard group to date (without tweaking the load or components, other than powder) is:

For my purposes, these Savage rifles are more than accurate enough.
    Last edited by arizona98tj; 06-25-11 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

There's an old guy that volunteers to run the sheriff's Office range when it is open to the public twice a month. He runs the 300 yards range, He's a crabby old guy but says that he sees more out-of-the-box accurate Savages than any other rifle...period...hands down without a doubt.

He prefers Rem 700's but he says over the years that the Savages have been improving by the year to where they are the most consistently accurate rifle out of the box.

Not how long they hold up...that is another question.

Just one opinion though...

Feedback Score
    With machining tolerances available in the modern CNC equipment, it is no wonder that so many other companies have learned to make an accurate out-of-the-box rifle.

Remington was first. Why? Because they were large enough to buy the best equipment before everyone else.

A production rifle is just that. However in recent years the machining quality has gone up, while the material quality being used has gone down. You suppose the profit margin has gone up or down?

My point is that I would expect all manufacturers to be able to put out a sub-moa production rifle at some point. The rate at which they grow these days is largely determined by the aftermarket following, giving the user the ability to get precisely what they want. Hence the reason for the black rifle explosion about 10 years ago.

This puts remington on top. Nothing savage, howa, winchester, or any other company does will change that. It's simply a perception that is proven true even if it is not justified. There are more aftermarket options and more gunsmiths familiar with the rem700 platform than any other on this earth. It will take a lot, and I mean a LOT of time for that to change... if it ever does.

That being said, I see no reason for it to change. You can go get a rem700 sps in just about any configuration you could desire, and are virtually guaranteed a sub-moa gun out of the box for a price of around $550-$650. When you are done buying it... you'll have a remington 700.

No matter the price or configuration you buy a savage, you still will not have a remington. Some are fine with this. I am not. However that is purely user preference. Every time I cycle a savage, I feel dirty.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Savage quality and reputation

If you do real research on Savage Rifle you will find that you will find that rifle are very good quality and respected with the hunting community.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinjinhawk View Post
    If you do real research on Savage Rifle you will find that you will find that rifle are very good quality and respected with the hunting community.
    Interesting blanket statement. I'm sure I could make similar claims for nearly every manufacturer out there.

That said, this isn't the hunting forum. This is the precision rifle forum. The standards that tactical (precision) shooters hold their rifles and equipment to are much different (higher) than the majority of hunters.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    That said, this isn't the hunting forum. This is the precision rifle forum. The standards that tactical (precision) shooters hold their rifles and equipment to are much different (higher) than the majority of hunters.
    That's fairly vague. Not calling you on the carpet, just more looking for clarification. Perhaps a topic for a different thread but where is the cutoff? If it shoots groups larger than .5 MOA does it cease to be a tactical/precision rifle? Larger than 1 MOA? Where's the cutoff or what are the requirements behind "this is a precision rifle and that's not" type statements?
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    The "cut-off" as you call it, is different for everyone. Like hot and cold, acceptable accuracy is in the eye of the beholder. That was the point behind my statement.

To say something is acceptable for hunting is not the same as saying it is acceptable for precision rifle work.

For most hunters, they'll be happy with a couple inches at 100yds. For most precision shooters, they aren't happy unless its sub-moa at distance.

Understand what I meant now? The correlation of "savage must be good because if you ask the hunting community they'll say so" doesn't pertain to discussions taking place in this section of the forums.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast