Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Savage quality and reputation

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks GunnutAF...it IS fun, aint it?!
    Turbo...I really feel that for a very affordable, and just good ole accurate, shootable rifle, the new Savages just cant be beat for value.
    My old mentor has probably near two dozen, and as i said before, WILL NOT clean a bore if you paid him, and Sunday after Sunday he is at the range shooting groups that are just unreal. They are consistent, easily modified with other stocks, and durable rifles.
    I hope you get some more trigger time with them. Oh, one thing about my old mentor, he does use top-notch glass on his rifles, and that really helps him shoot like he does, of course. But, if the rifle wasnt capable of accuracy, it would really show up with the high quality scopes he uses. The good thing is, Savages are so damned affordable, youll have the money left over for a really good scope!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    What about group #3 in the above pic. Its better to post an average of several 5 shot groups than the best one of the day. Not a Savage or a Remington Slam. But you can't say a rifle is X accurate from one group.
    Pat
    Pat....that is why I did not state my rifle is a .4 MOA rifle. I clearly stated I was working on loads and that the best group to date was as shown in the photo. The photo also includes groups that are not .40". If I want you to think I have a sub .5 MOA rifle, I would have said something like "My rifle shoots groups less than 1/2" off the bench" and I would have cropped the other groups out of the photo.

Why would I calculate the average group size for several load work-up groups when each one of those groups were using a different load combination? What would that prove....that changing the load recipe causes the group size to change? Don't we all already know that? (I suppose some don't if they don't reload.)

If people can not ascertain from my simple comments and the photo I posted that I am not claiming I have a .4 MOA rifle, then there isn't much else I can do.
    Last edited by arizona98tj; 08-22-11 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    At 300 yards my groups are between 2.5 and 3 inches using plain old surplus ammo.

Choate stock
    http://gunner777.wordpress.com/

Writer for "The Firearm Blog"
    NRA Certified LEO Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
    Pat....that is why I did not state my rifle is a .4 MOA rifle. I clearly stated I was working on loads and that the best group to date was as shown in the photo. The photo also includes groups that are not .40". If I want you to think I have a sub .5 MOA rifle, I would have said something like "My rifle shoots groups less than 1/2" off the bench" and I would have cropped the other groups out of the photo.

Why would I calculate the average group size for several load work-up groups when each one of those groups were using a different load combination? What would that prove....that changing the load recipe causes the group size to change? Don't we all already know that? (I suppose some don't if they don't reload.)

If people can not ascertain from my simple comments and the photo I posted that I am not claiming I have a .4 MOA rifle, then there isn't much else I can do.
    It was pretty clear to me, thanks for the response.

Also, I live about 2 miles from Savage Arms as the crow flies. I think I am wanting to go in their direction as I like the idea of supporting our local economy..
    Jack C.
    cleaned up my gun list for Odie, hope this makes you feel better.. is my target ok? I
    can delete it too..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I posted this in the new hunting forum: I have had a Savage 110 for about 14 years. Chambered in 7mm Rem Mag, it was originally $345 with a Simmons scope.
    I have since updated the stock to a B&C Carbalite Classic, had action trued, barrel crowned, CNC-cut recoil lug, and added Leupold VXII with nice rings and base.
    I also took a Dremel tool to smooth out the feed ramp as it was scraping up the tips of my bullets when feeding from the box-mag.
    The gun is now at MOA or better with off the shelf Black Hills loaded 162gr. A-Max rounds.
    I wouldn't trade it, sell it, or replace it. It was always under 2 MOA, but the barrel not being free floated really destroyed the accuracy.
    For the money, they may be one of the better deals in rifles.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo38gn View Post
    It was pretty clear to me, thanks for the response.
    Thanks.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345