Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage quality and reputation

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes I understand what you meant. And again, not looking to be argumentative, just looking for additional info. I guess my point was that if there are no standards, measurements, qualifications and specifications, etc. set for what qualifies as a precision rifle and accuracy is in the eye of the beholder then one man's hunting rifle may be another man's precision rifle. How is one to know what the "standards that tactical (precision) shooters hold their rifle to" are and what qualifies and what doesn't (and by extension what is appropriate to discuss in this forum) if those standards are not defined.

Guess I've drifted a long way from the Savage and it's quality discussion, apologies.
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Feedback Score
    It's not that hard to grasp what I'm saying. Go into your local cabelas or bass pro shop and ask some of the people in the guns section what they think an accurate rifle is.

I don't think I'm talking out of turn to say that most here in this section of the forum agree that sub-moa is a "precision rifle" and anything over that likely is not.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just a thought, you could look on snipershide or snipercentral. Not to say our members are not well versed in this type of weapons but you will find a lot of information regarding Savage.

Overall they really are a good rifle and company, many folks get outstanding accuracy from a bone stock rifle.

Feedback Score
    As another lefty shooter, I'd suggest buying a base model LH Savage rifle and getting a quality after market stock for it

The Savage barrels are good to go, but even their new Accu-stocks, like whats on their LE models, are an improvement over the old ones, but still aren't all that great, IMO.
    Last edited by cheaptrick; 06-30-11 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    I have a Stevens 200 in .223, with a cheap Simmons scope. It's the cheapest model that Savage makes.

It shoots clover leaf, sub MOA groups, as long as I do my part.

Feedback Score
    Savage is a great rifle, thought recently Bagara Barrels has come out with a barrel nut and barrel for Remington Savage is still the easiest for home gunsmiths to change out barrels and calibers. one of the main reasons I see the military has not looked at savage is to to the bolt head pin, though I think Barret is coming out with a new rifle using a similar set up.
    after carrying a M24 (rem 700) for years I actually do not own one, I prefer Savage and Tikka T3. I have Home built many Savage rifles, for some one who wants a very accurate, and agun you can build on yourself, savage is a fine rifle.
    here are a few of mine;

the wife's purple one

6.5x55

300RUM

DA - B4 1992
    SOTIC 1993
    getting old but can still shoot

in memory of Harvey, 5th SFG Sniper Locker

Feedback Score
    Solid design that works and works well. You get more than you pay for. I have had a few and never been let down in the accuracy department. I think they get a bad rap because of the bulky wood stocks on the lower end models and the elcheapo plastic stocks on others, but thats a easy fix.
    Last edited by COVERBUSTER; 07-04-11 at 10:53.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Smile Savage quality and reputation

Wow!!! SOTIC1993 has some impressive rifle indeed. Cool pics

Feedback Score
    Thanks I have been building and shooting for many years
    DA - B4 1992
    SOTIC 1993
    getting old but can still shoot

in memory of Harvey, 5th SFG Sniper Locker

Feedback Score
    First of all, how much money are you willing to spend? I know a lot of guys who have put many thousands of dollars into their rifles. Depending on what you want it for, you might find that the rifle is the easy part. Then you start looking at what stock fits you best, what scope you want on top of the rifle, and then trigger jobs, truing the action, making the bolt as smooth as glass... And then once you look at the price of match ammo, you want to buy your own reloading setup so that you can custom formulate your own loads. It can become a sickness. *cough* *cough*

On the other hand, if you're looking to get into the bolt gun scene and have a rifle that is a good place to start, then Savage is a perfectly good place to start. Worst case scenario, you can always sell the rifle if you want to upgrade.

My first bolt gun was a Remington 700--mostly because I got a great deal on a 700 VS in .223, and with ranges only 100 yards long around me, it seemed like a good choice. Later I sold that rifle and moved up to a .308 again in a Remington 700. Why didn't I get a Savage? Because I was already familiar with Remington, had a stock that I liked that I just moved over to the .308, and again, got a good price. Would I have bought a Savage? I did! (Ok, it's a .22, but still, I am very happy with it.) Yes, I would have no problem starting out on a Savage. They work, and they are a good place to learn and practice as you decide if you want to move up to laying out some serious money on a more custom rifle.

I kinda' assume people are going to end up with a different rifle than they started with, so in that case, where you start is less important than getting a lot of time behind the rifle, getting better, and learning what you want in the next rifle.

That's just one guy's opinion, so please take it for what it's worth.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast