Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Savage quality and reputation

Feedback Score
    Just picked up my New Hunter 11 in .223 Rem, I traded in my old '06 110F for it . The 110 F shot 1" or less with factory fodder right out of the box! With quality handloads it would do under an 1" consistantly at 100 yards. The new 11 has been the same.

Feedback Score
    I certainly enjoy my Savage 10FP. I have found it to be very accurate with smooth bolt function. The Choate stock I added is a real plus. While a bit heavy it's a comfortable stock to use with excellent cheek weld.
    Groups at 300 yards average just under 2.5 inches. This is with surplus ammo.

http://gunner777.wordpress.com/

Writer for "The Firearm Blog"
    NRA Certified LEO Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I get SUCH a hoot outta guys that buy these one, two thousand dollar, or more, rifles, put a $1500 dollar or more scope on it, then brag and strut around about shooting 1/2 MOA, when you can get a Model 10 .308 and shoot 1/2 and 1/4 all day long.
    If I had a choice between a Rem 700 and a Savage 10, Id take the Savage ALL DAY LONG. My close shooting friend, my mentor actually, has probably a dozen or more of the Savages, and we just ROLL with laughter at what we see on the range or read in these gun mags or forums.
    Ole Jim Carmichal several years ago had an out of the box Savage shooting factory ammo into 2" and 2 1/2" groups...at 500 yards.
    Yeah, go ahead and get the latest Ed Brown/Wilson/Baer/ect.. and overpay for rifle when you can get a rifle that lasts as long, and shoots as good, and even BETTER, for about $600 or so dollars.
    Of course, I dont know anything, and Im sure some will chime in Im apeshit crazy, and Savages are cheap, no good POS's that no REAL shooter would be caught dead with.
    Cant wait to hear the replys.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 07-17-11 at 13:52.

Feedback Score
    Oh well if somebody has the bucks and wants to spend so much on a rifle ok. I can't see doing it but then again being a retired police officer I couldn't buy one like that if I wanted to which I don't.
    I actually used a Savage FP10 like the one pictured above as a department issued rifle. The only difference was they had a McMillan stock on mine. They also used a straight 10X scope.
    What I can't understand is spending $3000 on a scope for recreational use???

Sniper Central has a Savage Package right now for $1100 which includes a good 10X scope and excellent stock.
    http://gunner777.wordpress.com/

Writer for "The Firearm Blog"
    NRA Certified LEO Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    I have a few pre-acu trigger and they seem to work just fine. Not as refined as the current models. A few friends are in love with the acu-trigger. So far, they seem to get a little better with age, once all the squirrels get knocked out .

Feedback Score
    I get SUCH a hoot outta guys that buy these one, two thousand dollar, or more, rifles, put a $1500 dollar or more scope on it, then brag and strut around about shooting 1/2 MOA, when you can get a Model 10 .308 and shoot 1/2 and 1/4 all day long.
    If I had a choice between a Rem 700 and a Savage 10, Id take the Savage ALL DAY LONG. My close shooting friend, my mentor actually, has probably a dozen or more of the Savages, and we just ROLL with laughter at what we see on the range or read in these gun mags or forums.
    Ole Jim Carmichal several years ago had an out of the box Savage shooting factory ammo into 2" and 2 1/2" groups...at 500 yards.
    Yeah, go ahead and get the latest Ed Brown/Wilson/Baer/ect.. and overpay for rifle when you can get a rifle that lasts as long, and shoots as good, and even BETTER, for about $600 or so dollars.
    Of course, I dont know anything, and Im sure some will chime in Im apeshit crazy, and Savages are cheap, no good POS's that no REAL shooter would be caught dead with.
    Cant wait to hear the replys.
    I'm not quite sure where you are getting this from. I haven't read anyone here saying that a Savage is a "no good POS." I, too, am no fan of hearing folks brag, but is someone driving a Mercedes deserving of similar laughter when a Honda Civic will do the same job? People shoot what they like and what they feel they can afford. Let's just be neighborly and let them enjoy the sport regardless of the particular equipment they use--expensive or otherwise.

Peace.

Feedback Score
    Nicely put blueline.

It's not that savage can't be accurate. That isn't the basis for me and others not liking them.

It's just a "feel" thing. You know, user preference? Some men like chunky woman... others like little scrawny broads. Myself... I like it somewhere in between.

Same with this savage vs remington thing. Stroking the bolt on a savage makes my teeth grit together. I feel dirty and it is unpleasant. However, the remington is a little sloppy sometimes... but much better. Now my surgeons... oh baby bring it to me!

You see what is being said now? Not that savages are a pile of shit. (some are) ... but simply that they are a taste that some of us would as soon not acquire.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Gunner777,
    Just wondering...
    ...what kind of AR do you shoot?

But maybe it's just me...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To blueline & orkan-
    I heard PLENTY of times, MANY times, people saying that Savage rifles are like some kind of "off brand" or some other dumb, stupid shit. Many times. And Ive had the good fortune to lay either mine, or one of my freinds acroos the bench, throw some money down, and DARE them to see whos 5 shot group is tightest. Shuts them up real quick.
    As I said, I dont give a damn what anybody buys, you wanna spend spend $3000 or more on a rifle with Ed Browns name, or Wilson, or whoever, God bless you brother. But, when I read in these gun rags those rifles"turned in some impressive 1/2" to 3/4" 100 yard groups consistently" I freakin roll on the floor laughing my ass off. I know a guy, right now, whos got more rifles than almost anyone youll ever meet, shoots EVERY week, and will NOT clean a barrel for love nor money, and he has a couple of Savages...dirty, filthy bores...thatll outshoot most of the uber guns all day long. I care less if you believe it or not, dont matter to me. I put the uber rifles into the same category as the uber pistols they sell....utter nonsense. My first 1911 was bought in 1979 by me,had the "Accurizer" bushing, and outshot pistols for years that were custom, handbuilt..yadda yadda yadda...then I start reading, from Wilson no less, how those bushings are"prone to breakage at the most neeeded moments" and how "only a handfitted bushing can wring out all the 1911's potential accuracy". BULLSHIT. Its crap made up to convince people to buy THEIR stuff. That 1911 had 15000 + rounds thru it when I traded it for a new S&W 29 .44 Mag. STILL could outshoot most other pistols.
    I guess what Im saying is, in closing...EXPENSIVE DONT MEAN ACCURATE.

Feedback Score
    Straight Shooter... do you like arguing with yourself for the sake of arguing?

Let me say it for the cheap seats:

NO ONE IS SAYING SAVAGES ARE NOT ACCURATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!11!one

We are simply saying we don't care for the way they feel. If you don't speak english, I can translate what I've said into a few other languages...

... and if I were standing there, I'd have tossed my money down in a heartbeat. I'm quite confident my surgeon or DTA would hang right with any savage.

Win or lose, when it was all over, the crowd would be standing around my DTA. I buy rifles based on what I want to do with them, but there is also something to be said for having the coolest toy on the range.
    Last edited by orkan; 07-19-11 at 11:09.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast