Thread: Surefire weaponlight 870 - Best choice for CQB?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Surefire weaponlight 870 - Best choice for CQB?

I want to put a Surefire weapon light on my 870. It's used for home defense so I don't need a lot of throw.

Thoughts on the 318LM versus the 618LM?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    For a HD weapon, especially something like a shotgun that's intended for close range, a 3V is likely all you need. Why hang extra weight off the gun if you don't need it? You just need to ID the target, not boil their aqueous humour.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I would stick with the single CR123 318LM stick with the 100 lumens to keep reflection of light off walls at a minimum.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Surefire weaponlight 870 - Best choice for CQB?

I have a Wilson built 870 with Surefire 918 tactical light for my HD. If I would have done it again I will used 618 for weight reduction.

Feedback Score

Surefire 618

I am an average Joe, not a paid shooter.
    I have a 618 with a LED bulb. Adds a little weight, but worth it to identify what goes bump in the night. I have never really cared for any of the other options. I shoot this shotgun every chance I get, even at the local matches and it is now my upstairs gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    bmyk,
    How are you liking the Urbino stock? I'm running the short LOP speedfeed pistol grip stock, but was thinking of trying the Urbino, not sure if it would be worth it, for as little as I shoot the gun.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score

870 URBINO w/ LimbSaver Initial Impressions

Honestly, If you already have a Speedfeed, I would add a Limbsaver to it. (If you do go with the Urbino, let me know and I will take the SF off your hands for another 870).

I was very happy with the stock, installation, and instructions. I realize "form over function" but the stock is very well made. When I have bought plastic stocks before from the other guys, I have always had to say "well it is just a plastic stock" not with this. All seams line up, no plastic flash. Everything went together and lined up perfectly. The plastic is thick, there is substance but it is not "heavy". There are no gaps, overhands, misalignment, or rattles when assembled. This thing is well made.
    So far, I have only made one range trip, in about 30 minutes I fired over 30 2.75" 00 buck and slug rounds (LV 1200 fps and HV 1395 FPS) and five 3" 000 buck. Definite less felt recoil, no "tingle" after the shooting session. My thought is that wide pistol grip is redistributing some of the recoil rather than it all being directed to my shoulder. That pistol grip has almost as much surface area as the recoil pad and it is made of a firm rubber material, it is not spongy at all nor is it "too big". Your hand will not slip on this grip. Follow up shots were much quicker for me.

I felt I could get "lower" on the stock so I am no longer having to work to keep from hitting high. With any standard stock on this shotgun (870 Police Magnum, 18.5" I/C with a bead on a pedestal base) I am always seeing the pedestal in the sight picture and I hit high within 25 yards. Now the bead alone is a small circle over the receiver and this is my sight picture, so for me it is quicker to "aim". POA and POI and now the same place. For this reason alone the Urbino was worth it. I have a XS Tritium Big Dot bead on the way.

I also feel like I have more control when combat loading with my support hand. I am waiting to see if the pistol grip gets in way doing strong hand or tactical reloads "under stress"
    I let one fellow shooter (paid shooter, built like Brock Lesnar) who was shooting an 870 with an AR collapsible stock, his comment after five rapid fire 00 buck rounds was "That ain't fair".

I am participating in a local Tactical Shotgun match in a couple of weeks, after that I will post a better review.

I am an average citizen and this is my HD shotgun. I like to shoot it every chance I get to practice so it goes to local matches and for fun range trips. I also want my wife to be comfortable shooting it; with the short LOP, Limbsaver and LV 00 Buck hopefully she will like shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    bmyk,
    How are you liking the Urbino stock? I'm running the short LOP speedfeed pistol grip stock, but was thinking of trying the Urbino, not sure if it would be worth it, for as little as I shoot the gun.

Bob

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    bmyk,
    Thanks dude, good review. When I had a Benelli about the only thing I liked was the pistol grip, stock and whole gun was way to big.

I send you a PM, Brownells has the stocks in stock, and if you take the speedfeed off my hands, that will defray some of the cost, so I could justify it.

FWIW, I have rifle sights on my gun.

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.