Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Emergency Reloads - dropping or ripping?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    When it comes to training and being in a team based job; I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you allow your individual skills (ie weapon manipulation, marksmanship fundamentals, etc) to be limited to what is taught at your agency/team.

Also by being trained in material from outside the agency you can become enlightened to shortcomings in your training and start to make attempts to get it changed (typically a very slow process)
    As a complete outsider to the law enforcement community and just a casual observer of that world, the insular, "if we didn't invent it, it's not good" attitude seems far more prevalent than an open mind. Some military elements are the same way and it's unfortunate.

Feedback Score
    Practice both ways, but in a bad place and having something gum-up that drop method might make you re-think the grip&rip. Practice the way you want to fight because you will revert to your lowest most fundamental training when you get that adrenalin dump.

Feedback Score
    Gravity first.

If that doesn't work, then I rip.

I consider a mag that won't drop free to be a malfunction.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    As a complete outsider to the law enforcement community and just a casual observer of that world, the insular, "if we didn't invent it, it's not good" attitude seems far more prevalent than an open mind. Some military elements are the same way and it's unfortunate.
    As a law enforcement officer and trainer I have to agree with you.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score

Dropping Vs. Ripping

I am a dropper, I rip when it does not drop. There are few things I use the "100%" technique for, one is running the slide of my handgun with a full fist, overhand grab. Automaticaly ripping the magazine out in either handguns or rifles is NOT one.

There has to be a balance between speed on target, accuracy, and an efficiently run handgun/rifle. Damaging Magazines is not something I consider much now, nor do I plan on considering it much in the future. I consider them disposable, and reflect that in how many I carry on a given mission/raid/detail.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The 100% idea is what I was thinking although I didn't know there was a ideology/term for it. If I only have to do one trick regardless of the situation, I should become quite proficient at that one trick.

Along that line, and not to stray, our instructors currently use one drill for clearing pistol malfunctions because it's a catch-all and doesn't require diagnosis and then a specific response. Maybe this is old news but I like it because it's also along the "one-trick-pony" lines.
    Last edited by Scotter260; 07-19-11 at 15:43.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910