Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Emergency Reloads - dropping or ripping?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Not many will say that PMAGs are inferior, and the same can be said about Colt products. With that said, PMAGs don't always drop free in my 6520 lower, thus making me rip them out. I think I notice and rectify this situation rather quickly when it happens, thus not making it that much of a problem, if at all.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
    Not many will say that PMAGs are inferior, and the same can be said about Colt products. With that said, PMAGs don't always drop free in my 6520 lower, thus making me rip them out. I think I notice and rectify this situation rather quickly when it happens, thus not making it that much of a problem, if at all.
    I had a similar issue with a Colt I used to own. A little sand paper and elbow grease solved the problem. (on the Pmags earlier generation)
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last I heard, Jeff Gonzales recommends and does this on the AR...not sure about the pistol stuff.

I'm sure he has his reasons for doing so, and others have their reasons for not doing so.

I don't see myself doing it anytime soon. If I wore gloves and spent a lot of time being wet and sandy, maybe I would. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My technique/opinion is worth absolutely nothing but I "sweep" the magazine as I bring my hand down, I don't make the conscious effort to grab the magazine, but I do make contact with it in a downward movement to grab the next magazine.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    One other thing, if Glock mags are not dropping free, a wipe of ArmorAll will do wonders.
    That's good stuff right there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm not a fan of ArmorAll on Glock mags. Making the mag slicker is not the issue. Fit of the mag in the mag well is.

Take the magazine and lightly sand the sides with a fine wet/dry sandpaper (I use 600 grit). Simply place the paper on a piece of glass or other known flat surface and sand the sides (usually about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the mag). Takes a little time but unless the mag has grossly swelled from being loaded, which some do, it should fix the problem.

Keeping 150 Glock 23s up and running had me fitting a few mags. Once you do it you normally will not have an issue again as they only seem to swell to a certain point.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    I'm not a fan of ArmorAll on Glock mags. Making the mag slicker is not the issue. Fit of the mag in the mag well is.
    If the mag is swelled or out of spec, I agree with you.
    However, that little bit of armor-all will make a difference in the mag shedding dirt and mud, and they assuredly drop free so readily it's almost like the gun is rejecting them.

Now, I am not keeping 150 23s in the hands of others up and running; I was keeping a 19 going as a CC/bedside piece, with a 35 that I only used for competing, and a Gen 2 23 that mostly jut keeps the 35 out of trouble. All of their mags are good (even the 35's with extended floorplates) though, which I know can be questionable when dealing with large numbers of other people's guns.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    If my mags get the nicks, etc on them from getting dropped, stepped on, etc I just use my pocket knife to "shave" the surface imperfections. I've had these training mags for a long time and you don't take that much off to hurt the integrity of the mag body.(This is for polymer mags of course)
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    I now stay away from dropping mags, specifically ar mags because one of my mags got damaged that way and wouldnt allow the round to feed into the chamber after 1 shot. I had to chamber a round using the charging handle which would work until that round was fired.
    What works for me and what I do for a living, is to retrieve a full mag and reload the full mag while placing the already used mag back in my mag pouch if it still has rounds or in my dump pouch if empty.
    It works for me and keeps my speed up and my rifle always has a round in the chamber while I reload.
    I love this site and readin everyones tactics, it's great!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4twenty6 View Post
    I now stay away from dropping mags, specifically ar mags because one of my mags got damaged that way and wouldnt allow the round to feed into the chamber after 1 shot. I had to chamber a round using the charging handle which would work until that round was fired.
    What works for me and what I do for a living, is to retrieve a full mag and reload the full mag while placing the already used mag back in my mag pouch if it still has rounds or in my dump pouch if empty.
    It works for me and keeps my speed up and my rifle always has a round in the chamber while I reload.
    I love this site and readin everyones tactics, it's great!
    mags are disposable items. Drop them its not worth risking your life to save a $10 mag from damage.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast