Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 870P Project

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Remington 870P Project

Under the heading of trying to set a good example, I thought I'd start a thread chronicling my 870 project and the why's and how's of the choices I make as I move forward with this.

Years ago I had an 870P police-turn-in shotgun. I bought it, and had it re-parkerized, for $250 in the last '90s. It had wood furniture and an 18" barrel with bead front sight. I added a one-shot extension to it and rarely shot it but at $250 invested it was the gun that didn't live in the safe. Eventually this bit me in the ass as it got stolen (and in hindsight teaching me a valuable lesson about leaving guns out that could be used against you). I never really had much use for a shotgun but have always felt like I should have one, and have wanted to take a couple-three shotgun classes so I might as well own one rather than borrow one.

I put feelers out to a few dealers earlier this year and finally got a hit from one down in Miami with some police trade-in guns. I went down, cherry picked my favorite, and when they came up for sale I went and bought it. I *think* it's an 18" barrel with rifle sights and polymer furniture, but the picture below seems to be playing an optical delusion making it look like a 20". I ordered a NIB 18" rifle sighted barrel and a new firing pin from Remington direct just to be safe, so we'll know soon enough (package arrives here tomorrow). If the barrel on the gun is a 20" I already have a buyer for it, if it's an 18" I may just go ahead and install the new barrel anyway along with the firing pin just to be overly cautious. Haven't decided yet.

Along with the gun I picked up a set of used wood furniture. I will readily admit that this is, to some extent, and exercise in aesthetics. There's just something *right* about an 870 with wood furniture. Plus, it's easier to cut down to length than the polymer so that's a win/win IMO.

I intend to get the gun refinished, just like the last one, but this time with Cerakote in a parkerized-grey type of color. Depending on if I stick with the current barrel or the new barrel I may or may not have that part refinished as well.

Modificationss to start with will be extremely limited. I'll add another 1-shot extension like the old one to start with, probably a sling (simply because it seems like it should have one), cut down the wood stocks, get it refinished, and try to get signed up for a Randy Cain shotgun class. Ultimately I'd like to take Cain, Awerbuck, and Haught shotgun classes, probably in that order. I also plan to try to shoot some shotgun and/or 3-gun matches just to get some trigger time with the thing.

so, this is the "new" gun. pretty beat in a lot of areas, but I test fired it for two tubes worth of low-brass birdshot on Saturday and it went bang all 8 times so at least it appears to be functional.

I will update this thread as progress continues, to include snapping a picture tomorrow of the current barrel next to the incoming NIB barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Only pic I can find of the old 870 right now.

Feedback Score
    I like your how's and why's approach to these kinds of threads -- and I'm going to start doing the same.

Like you, I think the 870 looks RIGHT with wood. (mine isn't so equipped, however)

What made you decide to go with just a single shot extension?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Why the one shot extension and not a 2 or 3 shot?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Rob,

I have a /wilson +1 in the parts bin if you need it. I dropped my 870 last year to standardize on Mossbergs. If you need it Shoot me a PM with shipping info.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    I like your how's and why's approach to these kinds of threads -- and I'm going to start doing the same.
    thank you. I think it helps other shooters that can read through a process, see how you arrived at an end-state, and decide if their choices should mimic yours or deviate. I love reading other people's threads like that.

What made you decide to go with just a single shot extension?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Why the one shot extension and not a 2 or 3 shot?
    Before my last 870 I had a Winchester 1300 with fixed, extended, tube. When shooting that gun I always felt like it was nose-heavy. Like it just had too much weight out at the muzzle. It wasn't a balance issue but it did affect the way the gun swung, and I would constantly over-swing past where I intended to stop when running the gun in little scenarios we'd run. One such scenario was that we'd set up a series of barrels on each side of a path, with a target on top of each barrel. You'd walk through and your buddy would call out "left" or "right" and that was the target you were supposed to engage. That meant that your muzzle was low ready, down the center of the path, until you got the command. I was CONSTANTLY over-swinging past the targets.

With the +1 it actually adds very little material to the end of the tube, and it limits you to only one shot added which also reduces weight at the muzzle. Look at the size of the +1 relative to the +2.

Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    Rob,

I have a /wilson +1 in the parts bin if you need it. I dropped my 870 last year to standardize on Mossbergs. If you need it Shoot me a PM with shipping info.
    awesome, I'll send you a PM now. Appreciate it!

Feedback Score
    Seems like a good project.

I must ask, by buying this shotgun and planning on taking classes with it, are you just buying and learning for future and extra knowledge and skills and being able to use it if needed, or are you planning on making it a well used firearm that you'll train with outside of classes often and possibly use in competitions?

It seems like there are always three main branches of shotgun owners. Those that own them but never train with them, those that own them and know how to use them but don't, and those that own them and use them alot.
    Last edited by GeorgiaBoy; 06-22-11 at 14:13.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think it's worth learning. there is a lot of shotgun-hate of late and it seems to be trendy to hate on it in certain circles. Kind of the way art school kids think they are supposed to be atheists so they are. Rather than just hate on something I know nothing about, why not learn to use it and then decide if I think there's an application for it or not?

On the whole I think we (meaning civilian defensive shooters) are getting a little carried away with military applications for things and then trying to force that into our own TTPs. I'm willing to spend the time and money to learn the shotgun and make up my own mind if I see a use for it or not.

I don't want to be in your first group, but I'm not sure if I'll fall into your second or third group ultimately.

And if I want to do 3-gun or shotgun matches, I need a shotgun of some sort. I'd rather not go down the semi-auto path for a variety of reasons, primarily cost.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I think it's worth learning. there is a lot of shotgun-hate of late and it seems to be trendy to hate on it in certain circles. Kind of the way art school kids think they are supposed to be atheists so they are. Rather than just hate on something I know nothing about, why not learn to use it and then decide if I think there's an application for it or not?

I'm willing to spend the time and money to learn the shotgun and make up my own mind if I see a use for it or not.
    This is a very good point. Growing up in rural south Georgia my whole life has led me to be far more experienced using shotguns than any other weapon system. I am just now (over the past several years) trying my best to learn more about the carbine and pistol systems.

Knowing as much about shotguns, their ammo types, the ability to use their ammo and what ammo is best for certain choices has been very valuable to me. I don't care what the tactical guru's say, I have seen first hand countless times what a shotgun can and can't do on a deer, hogs, and other human sized animals. Results can be both devestating at times and other times you get plain confused. How can you shoot a deer with 3" 00 buck and it nearly drop in its tracks, then you shoot a deer with the same load directly at the vital area and it run 200 yards? It gets confusing and really opens your eyes with the use of shotguns in defense type scenarios.

I think the reason there is so much shotgun hate is generally that its pointed to those who think shotguns ARE "do-all" weapons. They are certainly not and do have their limits. However, that does not mean they have little to no use as some "shotgun haters" think. There are many applications where a shotgun has an advantage over the defensive carbine or pistol, and vice versa. It all depends on the sitution at hand. I keep all three in my house ready to use, with the pistol being the first, shotgun second, and carbine third. If I knew what the defense situation would be, I could easily probably choose the correct weapon system. But no one can, so its all a coin toss on what to use for that situation.

Good luck with the 870. Enjoy the shotgun shooting.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Good looking piece. I just got back into shotgunning and fell back
    on the old standby 870. I like mine to be all purpose, from shootin'
    clays, to hunting deer with slugs. People also miss the fact sometimes that after all these years, birdshot is still only $.20 cents a pop.

That is cheap shooting in my book.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast