Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 870P Project

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I would actually prefer that they weren't tritium, or at least, I don't care that they are. I just find the rifle sights on the gun now to offer a weird sight picture with that bead on top of the post.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I would actually prefer that they weren't tritium, or at least, I don't care that they are. I just find the rifle sights on the gun now to offer a weird sight picture with that bead on top of the post.

Rob on my rifle sighted shotguns i run a night sight front either the xs stripe or an simple dot in a blade style

i opened up the rear sight notch with a file about 2-3 passes to give me a bit quicker sight picture
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries
    Nighthawk custom firearms

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R Moran View Post
    Rob,
    Looks like a 20" to me, nice project.
    I think I would've went with a Hogue or Speedfeed short LOP stock. I use the pistol grip one.
    I also use a Vang 1 shot extension, for the same reason, lighter weight. If you use a +1, and not utilize that space, if you need to do a select slug drill, you simply stuff a slug into the tube(there's now space for it) and run the action, now I have a slug in the chamber, and shotshell on the ground.
    I also have the XS sights on the RS barrel, not a huge fan, but OK enough.
    SureFire forend is the only way to go for a light.

Having said that, put me in the "shotgun hate" club. But, just like the 1911 hate club, its more about hating its fan boys, then the gun itself. And, once again the reverse elitism rears its ugly head. Much of the reasons have been mentioned in this thread.

Those who talk about, "inside shotgun" longer range I'll bring my carbine" etc. That's all fine and good, if you know exactly what the fight will be, rarely if ever is that the case.
    Shotguns are certainly viable tools, but, outside of breaching, I can't see a time I would willingly choose a "gauge" over a 5.56.

Bob
    This is a complete waste of space and it is costing the user a round. I equate it to buying a set of headers for your car and then bolting a block of wood under the accelerator.

With the 870 platform and a full magazine tube, the (most) correct way to change the round in the chamber is as follows:

1: Mag-tube full, Chamber full
    2: Press the tab allowing you to rack the weapon.
    3: 1/2 way rack the weapon, half-ejecting the shell in the chamber and un-seating a round from the mag-tube.
    4: re-seat the round in the full mag-tube with your thumb.
    5: Finish racking the weapon ejecting the round that was in the tube.
    6: throw the slug into the chamber and slide it home.
    7: engage your target.

This sounds like a lot, but that's only because it is written down step by minute step. You can do this VERY fluid and quickly with just a little bit of practice.

I BY FAR! am not an expert on any weapon system and never will claim to be, but I can easily see why people hate the shotgun. They do not understand how to use it to nearly the potential that most understand the AR platform or the handgun.
    Last edited by WS6; 06-23-11 at 08:11.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Have you considered Wilson Combat's "Trak Lok" or whatever they call it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am planning on sticking with the rifle sights for now and am not looking to get in to ghost ring sights.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The same way a .338 can traverse the heart/lung region on a deer and it run 200 yards. The same way a skinny punk can take 30+ rounds to the chest. The same way a .22 to the arm will drop a massive biker in his tracks. The body (animal and human) is VERY durable, and each being reacts differently to being shot, and each shot impacts different organs in a different way. When shooting something, it's impossible to remove variables. Even paper. Much less a living being.
    Exactly my point. I was just trying to make the point towards the people who think shotguns are the "blow someone in half and throw them back 10 feet" types of weapons.

This reminds me of a buck I shot at this last season.. .270 Winchester, Barnes TSX bullets. 35 yards broadside. Tons of bright and bubbly blood, tracked him nearly 300+ yards back and forth across a creek down in a bottom. Saw him about 250 yards through the search on the other side of the creek. He ran, and I lost the blood trail there.

As you said, theres tons of variables.
    But what then is capital punishment but the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated it may be, can be compared? - Albert Camus

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I am planning on sticking with the rifle sights for now and am not looking to get in to ghost ring sights.
    Why? I am building up an 870 as a Christmas present and I would like to know your logic to see if it applies or could apply to the person I am gifting it to. If it's "better", it could save me some cash while delivering a superior weapon. Win/Win.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will know for sure tonight re: the barrel length, but I'm 99% sure now that the one on the gun is a 20" now that I have an 18.5" in-hand.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Why? I am building up an 870 as a Christmas present and I would like to know your logic to see if it applies or could apply to the person I am gifting it to. If it's "better", it could save me some cash while delivering a superior weapon. Win/Win.
    I arrived at my sight choice two ways.

The first is through my own, limited, use. My previous 870 had a bead sight which just never seemed *right* to me. I can't say I ever really shot the gun enough to have a specific list of shortcomings, but I always thought it should have something more precise. The Benelli M3 that I owned for awhile had ghost rings. It seemed *right* but mostly because that's what I thought I was supposed to think. In hind sight it seemed slower. My hope is that the rifle sights, probably in part due to the fact that the rear sight is barrel-mounted, will split the difference between the two. I'm not certain, however, that the factory version will accomplish this. The white triangle/dot setup seems hard to get a good sight picture with.

The second is that an instructor I trust and respect, who knows way more about these things than I do, prefers the rifle sights. Generally I'm not so quick to take something like that as gospel, but given the person, and my complete lack of experience, I'm willing to chance it.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I arrived at my sight choice two ways.

The first is through my own, limited, use. My previous 870 had a bead sight which just never seemed *right* to me. I can't say I ever really shot the gun enough to have a specific list of shortcomings, but I always thought it should have something more precise. The Benelli M3 that I owned for awhile had ghost rings. It seemed *right* but mostly because that's what I thought I was supposed to think. In hind sight it seemed slower. My hope is that the rifle sights, probably in part due to the fact that the rear sight is barrel-mounted, will split the difference between the two. I'm not certain, however, that the factory version will accomplish this. The white triangle/dot setup seems hard to get a good sight picture with.

The second is that an instructor I trust and respect, who knows way more about these things than I do, prefers the rifle sights. Generally I'm not so quick to take something like that as gospel, but given the person, and my complete lack of experience, I'm willing to chance it.
    I have never tried them before on a shotgun. I found a ready supply of fixed MOD choke 870 barrels with rifle-sights for a very fair price. I will follow your lead building my 870 present as well, thank-you!
    Last edited by WS6; 06-23-11 at 11:30.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast