Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Remington 870P Project

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Just remove the velcro, parkerize it, stick some new velcro and the sights on it and go shoot that bad boy!
    Well, that's the other thing, I frankly haven't had any reason to shoot it. I've been s'poseta go shoot three gun twice now and had to cancel both times, and this month the same thing is happening and I won't make the match.

what'll wind up happening is I'll finally be able to make a match and I'll wait 'till the last minute and install the sights the morning before I leave to head up there.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    It will shoot fine just the way it is. There is no need to have it refinished. Just "shoot the gun" as is and decide if you even need to refinish it. Or hit it with some Molly coat or even Aveno or Krylon. You could have fun and keep it inexpensive. It is an 870 with some personality.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 03-06-12 at 10:03.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have shot it.

The sights that are on it are unsat so they need changing. I can't see that little front bead.

also, it already requires more attention than I'm willing to give it and the blued areas are prone to rusting. I live two blocks from the beach, and even if I didn't this whole area makes anything rust. For a gun that I'll learn, play with, and then likely stick in the back of the safe I need to know I can do that without having to take it out and rub it with a diaper like Cameron Frye's dad's Ferrari. My old 870 was reparked and it sat, outside the safe and largely untouched, for years with zero rust. So while there is no functional need relative to shooting, there is a need in the long term to deal with the rusting issue.

and it's not getting shot waiting for work to get done, it's not getting shot because I haven't had any time or reason to shoot it. As mentioned, if a match comes up and it hasn't gotten refinished I'll put the new sights on and go shoot. Not posting updates here is related to the fact that I haven't shot it OR done any of the work to it. I'm not going to go out of my way to make some special trip just to go "yep, I shot it" and I'm not going to waste range time on an anachronistic antique without any higher purpose.

Truth be told, other than the fact that I think I should have a shotgun in the safe, and will eventually need one for 3-gun, so far the project is reinforcing that *for me* there likely isn't any use for it based on how infrequently it's gotten used since I bought it.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-06-12 at 09:55.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    You got me laughing with the diaper comment. I Molly coated my 870. I forgot about the salt air. Have been living in the Green Mountains for more than 20 years now. I grew up near the ocean so remember what that was like. Especially after a day on the water.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    You got me laughing with the diaper comment.
    Ferris was on this weekend, so it was fresh in my mind.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Is your gun an express? Does'nt look it. But mine is an I had to do some dremel work to get my +2 extension to fit. The express magazine tube is made Not to accept an extension.
    It is actually made to keep the magazine spring from ejecting from the tube when the mag cap is removed to change out the barrel....there is a tool out there to remove the detents without using a dremmel or drill bit as I have heard as well....and putting holes in your magazine tube..... wish i had read that you were planning this sooner so i could send it to you... been loaning it out since i bought it....
    Last edited by M1AG30; 03-08-12 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1AG30 View Post
    It is actually made to keep the magazine spring from ejecting from the tube when the mag cap is removed to change out the barrel....there is a tool out there to remove the detents without using a dremmel or drill bit as I have heard as well....and putting holes in your magazine tube..... wish i had read that you were planning this sooner so i could send it to you... been loaning it out since i bought it....
    Thanks for the info. Who makes the tool. What does it look like?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Rob,

Let me dig in the parts bin again. Pretty sure I have a set of LPAs looking for a home.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    Rob,

Let me dig in the parts bin again. Pretty sure I have a set of LPAs looking for a home.
    Sights? I already have them, just haven't installed them yet since I haven't had any opportunity to shoot the gun anyway.

Feedback Score
    Here is my 870P in Sniper Grey Cerakote

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789