Thread: Looking for a decentm, good priced SXS...

Feedback Score

Looking for a decentm, good priced SXS...

I am new to the shotgun world but would like an sxs. Where do I start?

Edit: Holy shit, my title makes no sense what so ever.
    Last edited by maxwell600; 06-22-11 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What do you want it for? Hunting? Clays? Cowboy Action? Grins?

If it is for hunting I suggest looking in the used section. I have a few Winchester Model 24s and I feel they offer the best price on the used market, generally selling between $350 to $600. Parts can be hard to find on the Winchesters though. The Savage 311s are as well made as the Winchesters but not nearly as nice in the finish. I've also been able to find more parts for the Savages as they were made for a longer period of time.

If it's for Cowboy Action or just for fun I'd get a Stoeger. If you can find one of the Savage 311s with the 18" barrels I'd pick on up. I have both and prefer the Savage, though I don't shoot CASS and only use it for grouse hunting and clays.

The CZ imported s x s had good fit and finish on the ones I've looked at but I don't know much about them past looking. Last I looked they were selling for $600 to $1200.

I've only seen one Ruger and I think that was north of $2000.

That's my two cents.

As far as quality side by sides go new ones are fairly expensive due to the hand fitting of parts that is required. The German made Merkels and Kreighoffs are going to be your best bet there.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    Just for fun, with the shortest barrel length legally possible.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check out the Stoegers. I have a Stoeger 2000 semi gun that has been great. Ive been thinking on grabbing one of their over unders(condor supreme) for trap and skeet. The wood may not be as nice as a benelli, but they are made on old Benelli tooling.

Their coach guns, at least the ones I have messed with(havent shot any of them) look pretty decent and feel good. You can get some with 18.5" barrels.