View Poll Results: Is Larry Vickers Bashing the 1911?

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 8.79%
  • No

218 91.21%
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Larry Vickers Bashing the 1911?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I do not think he is bashing it I think he is saying not all 1911s are good for all people. I remember when I droped my M9 and was like shit there is mud at on the end of the slide its going to jam and what happened I went through 2 mags with no issues. The only issue was my 6004 got rusted and I am glad I had some lube to get it fixed. It is funny how much people do not look at the system. Do my Sigs and my Berettas require more maintenence than the Glock yes but not too much. If he says something I will listen . Do I agree with everything he says no but I then look at myself and say is it just the way he says it or something I just do not agree with? Most of the time I find it is he is just blunt.

How may Glocks and M&Ps are going strong in former Special Operations and LE instructors that we take classes form?

Feedback Score
    What do threads like this accomplish? I'm being serious here. Threads like this pop up from time-to-time. Hell, there was a, "LAV said this and look at the reaction on GlockTalk" thread not that long ago. Most of us know exactly where a man like Vickers is coming from and why he says/writes certain things. So really, why do we care about what the unwashed on TOS or any of the "other" sites think about what he has to say?

They don't know what they don't know, it's as simple as that and most of us know it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    I noticed that some of the couch commandoes over on another 1911 forum are having a hissy fit over some remarks Larry Vickers made about the 1911....
    Do you think LAV is "bashing" the 1911?...
    Sorry but I'm not in to gun drama much so I don't really care. Mr. Vicker's opinions about the 1911 won't affect my ownership, use or purchase of a 1911 in any way.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    This is now the second thread on the same subject here.

He is absolutely NOT bashing the 1911. He merely gives a realistic, no BS assessment on a pistol platform that has served well, but is past it's prime, compared to more modern day platforms. My choice is the full sized M&P45. It is the most controllable and comfortable .45 bullet launcher I've ever fired.
    Last edited by RogerinTPA; 06-23-11 at 07:59.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    Sorry but I'm not in to gun drama much so I don't really care. Mr. Vicker's opinions about the 1911 won't affect my ownership, use or purchase of a 1911 in any way.
    If more people thought this way things would be much easier for them all around. There is nothing wrong with reading and absorbing the opinions of SMEs but ultimately it's your money, your gun, and your life.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    This is now the second thread on the same subject here.

He is absolutely NOT bashing the 1911. He merely gives a realistic, no BS assessment on a pistol platform that has served well, but is past it's prime, compared to more modern day platforms. My choice is the full sized M&P45. It is the most controllable and comfortable .45 bullet launcher I've ever fired.
    These were my thoughts exactly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I commented on that thread that the 1911 forum on Glocktalk is really going down the toilet (in post #166). There are some good guys on there, but in the past couple of months, some people have started just running every thread into the ground with stupid stuff. I hardly even go there anymore.

Unfortunately, the decent guys there haven't been calling out the jerks. And, its gotten out of hand. The comments on that thread at Glocktalk are uncalled for.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    IMO there is a liiiiiittle bit of bashing going on... but deservedly so. The 1911 is almost completely obsolete, but we tend to cling to it for nostalgia's sake. It's like daily driving a highly modified car, when you think about it, it's probably not the smartest idea and it's only rewarding when it's running.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    There is nothing wrong with reading and absorbing the opinions of SMEs but ultimately it's your money, your gun, and your life.
    There ya go. I just purchased two Nighthawk pistols, specifically one that makes 1911 purists freak out, i.e a double stack 9mm. I knew going full well it wouldn't be the beat to hell and back reliability of a glock or M&P, but it's a different platform with it's specific strengths (ergonomics and trigger).

Best you can do is take the advice of SMEs, and then jump in. There are plenty of other platforms out there that are outdated, but still worth owning. As long as you acknowledge the real-world negatives, and plan for them, you won't be shocked.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I just re-watched the Tactical Arms episode that LAV and Kyle Defoor did on the 1911. I must have missed all the "bashing". At one point it was referred to as " the greatest combat handgun the world has ever known". They did state that it is not a platform for everyone. The truth hurts some people I guess. I swear, some guys would get less "pissy' if somebody rudely insulted their wife/girlfriend right in front of them . Crazy!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast