View Poll Results: Is Larry Vickers Bashing the 1911?

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 8.79%
  • No

218 91.21%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Larry Vickers Bashing the 1911?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepDriver View Post
    Do that every weekend for a year straight then see which gun is still running.
    Prior to resuming my schooling back in January, I did run a ton of ammo through my pair of Nighthawks and Wilson. Even my Series I Kimber. They still run. And run well. A little TLC is all it takes. Knowledge of the platform and willingness to do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    IMO there is a liiiiiittle bit of bashing going on... but deservedly so. The 1911 is almost completely obsolete, but we tend to cling to it for nostalgia's sake. It's like daily driving a highly modified car, when you think about it, it's probably not the smartest idea and it's only rewarding when it's running.
    Obsolete how? The platform has continued to evolve. A few years ago, it was unheard of to have a rail on a 1911. Blasphemy. Now, we're looking at the potential that, sometime down the line, a properly set up External Extractor model (as per JMB's ORIGINAL design) will remove a lot of the maintenance issues associated with the pistol. No more worrying about having fitted and timed spare extractors for your pistol.

Am I a die hard 1911 fan? Sure. But I'm also a fan of getting the job done. I own a handful of the 1911, I own a few HK pistols. I own a Glock or two (three, but who's counting). The 1911, for those who are willing to put in the extra time and effort, is a wonderful combat handgun. The problem is, as LAV so eloquently put it, is that a majority of folks these days don't have the skill, knowledge or desire to make a 1911 work. They want to pick up a gun from the shop, a box of ammo, and shoot the hell out of it. For people like that, he's saying the 1911 is a no go. For folks like me and a few others around these parts, the 1911 is what suits us.

H
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."-Thomas Paine

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    I noticed that some of the couch commandoes over on another 1911 forum are having a hissy fit over some remarks Larry Vickers made about the 1911.

Frankly, as usual, I think LAV is just speaking his mind and telling it like it is.

I love the classic 1911 too, but I think we can agree that handgun technology has made real progress and significant advances in the past 100 years.

Here's the article

Do you think LAV is "bashing" the 1911?

I don't.
    I think people often confuse "bashing" with telling the truth. From my personal experience with LAV, he is a fan of the 1911, but its day has pretty much come and gone.

If I was king for a day, I would require and IQ test before you were allowed to purchase a 1911. If you treat your firearms like you treat your lawn mower, than the 1911 (or AR for that matter) is NOT the weapon(s) for you.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 06-23-11 at 08:51.

Feedback Score
    Yep, nothing he said is incorrect. You can adore the 1911 as much as you want....I sure know I do, but you'd be a fool to ignore its shortcomings.

I choose to acknowledge its shortcomings and work around them because I am a better shooter with a 1911 than any other handgun and as such, its benefits outweigh its detriments, at least for me.

Feedback Score
    I don't think Larry's bashing the 1911. He's just being realistic. I love my 1911, but I'm not one who thinks handgun development ended a hundred years ago.

I'd feel comfortable going into combat with a 1911; in fact I did just that 43 years ago. If I were given the choice of which handgun I wanted to carry in a tactical situation today; my beloved 1911 would have to get in line behind my 2 Glocks, (The G21 is our duty gun), my HK, & my 2 Sigs; in that order.

I like to think that I'm a realist, too.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just take it for what it is. A man who knows the reality of the 1911's current abilities compared to that of modern pistols. I love my 1911 even though it's heavy, tight, and picky with ammo. It has never had a failure(other then mag issues)and I will continue to shoot 600+ rounds every other Saturday. It's like a 700+ hp muscle car, it runs great but requires more attention then your average daily commuter. Anyone who knows anything about firearms would be foolish to not think that LAV was simply being realistic. My .02 cents.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The M1911A1 is not without its faults, but would not have survived to this day without some pretty strong attributes.

Take a look at many of the polymer pistols around and you'll find examples of declining quality control (google Oakland, California's Police recent problems). They are not limited to any brand.

Larry's comments are just as valid for the M1911A1 as they are for any machine -- think of a typical American woman and her car or major kitchen appliances, or the average third-world knucklehead and his AK. She unconsciously switches them on with no regard for maintenance, fluids, filters, etc. Anyone can be blissfully ignorant of their gear -- which speaks for Kalashnikovs and a lot of other off-the-rack, unmodified "Stuff."

Buy a rack-grade genuine Colt (pre-MIM and plastic, pre-Series 70) M1911A1, add decent modern magazines, and don't screw with it and it's a pretty decent weapon that requires maintenance. Just like changing your own oil or rotating your tires it's a machine.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    He was stating the truth about the 1911, not bashing.

Larry Vickers, and Ken Hackathorn, in unison, "It's a Glock world." They both really like the 1911, and in the past two years I've seen them shooting Glocks more often than not.

I took LAV's Basic pistol last year at Drake's Landing, and shot my 1911. I took an invite-only class in February with him, and shot a Glock. I carried a Glock at a CTT carbine class with no pistol component.

You know how many people asked, or noticed, the above details? One. M4arc, and he only took notice to barb at me.

I'll continue to live my life using my choices, and whims, to guide me.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    I for one appreciate Mr. Vickers' comments. I just wish he had made them in time for me not to have spent thousands of dollars on a handful of 1911's over the past 15-20 years.

I've had several flirtations with the romanticism of the platform over the years but I've always gotten rid of my 1911's and gone back to my Glocks.

1911's belong in display cases with Lugers and Nambu pistols. It's an enthusiast's gun to collect and have fun with, not so much a modern fighting weapon.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 06-23-11 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Been a die hard 1911 shooter for a long time, but (1) when Larry speaks I tend to listen (2) things change no matter how much we wish they would not, and guns like the M&P are game changers (3) Larry simply told the facts/truth regarding the pros and cons (yes I said it, cons!) of the 1911.

Nothing more, nothing less, from Larry. For those who want smoke blown up their skirt regarding the 1911, or any weapons platform, Larry is not the guy to ask.
    Second that - no BS assessment of the platform, plain and simple. I loved my 1911 but in my eyes it's more of a 'weekend car', than it is a tool. Mine ran great but keeping up with them, so to speak, involved more PM than I cared to do. Which is why I now carry a Glock. I might go back to carrying a 1911 here and there, but not likely. I appreciated the article and the honesty.
    Last edited by munch520; 06-23-11 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    It's just the truth.

I have a bunch of 1911s and shoot them often because I like 'em. I know what to expect out of 'em and do what's necessary to keep 'em goin'.

I also own a few Glock 19s and know what to expect out of 'em and do what's necessary to keep 'em goin'.

The only debate for me is deciding which one I want to shoot when I'm getting ready for a match or whatever.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast