Thread: New analysis method with target?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New analysis method with target?

I think I did this right. This is a 10-shot group from my .300 WM I shot yesterday.

If I'm reading that right, that means my AMR10 is 0.49MOA. Did I state that correctly?
    Last edited by QuietShootr; 06-25-11 at 22:39.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I stand to be corrected on this but I believe .49 represents the average of all those shots.

In other words if the RED + is POA each hole is a POI. It measures each one and then averages the 10.

Your Average for those 10 was .49 MOA.

However the largest spread which I think is the RED LINE is also calculated and that's how they got the 1.71 MOA.

I don't know what is supposed to be "the MOA", the average or the worse case.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I stand to be corrected on this but I believe .49 represents the average of all those shots.

In other words if the RED + is POA each hole is a POI. It measures each one and then averages the 10.

Your Average for those 10 was .49 MOA.

However the largest spread which I think is the RED LINE is also calculated and that's how they got the 1.71 MOA.

I don't know what is supposed to be "the MOA", the average or the worse case.
    The normal way of measuring is the extreme spread, or the 1.71MOA. However, Average Mean Radius, or Average to Center, appears to be .49MOA for 10 shots. The original thread was here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82297 - the explanation is much better for why this appears to be a more valid measure of system performance.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Ok, yes, I agree then. I think that would be correctly .49 MOA.

I've been reading this http://www.bmotsoft.com/moa.html

and when I use that (6) formula I get the wrong answer though. I had to guesstimate the 10 POIs from POA though.

If you add up all your POIs from POA what number do you get?

PIO-1 + POI-2 ... POI-10/3600 x 3437.7 = MOA

I get something in the 4 MOA range which can't be right. So I think as you ad up your POIs you have to divide your final MOA by number of shots. In this case that would 4/10 or .4.

So yes, I think you are correct. .49 MOA.

Then apparently you do that 3 times and average those results for your final true MOA.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OK... so I'm beginning to get pissed at this gun. The target depicted above is about the best group I've gotten from it with both FGMM and handloads - and I now know for sure it's not my shooting technique, because after shooting a 3" shotgun pattern at 200 yards, I shot a friend's custom 6mmBR on the same target and printed two 5 round groups you could cover with a dime.

Aargh... I'm about to say **** this gun, and this is the 2nd bad one in a row I've gotten from Remington.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It looks like the vertical spread is high? Have you checked to insure the barrel is clear and also what surface are you shooting from?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    It looks like the vertical spread is high? Have you checked to insure the barrel is clear and also what surface are you shooting from?
    Yup, barrel is clear, and I'm shooting prone supported using sandbags under front and rear. Same position I shot the dime-sized groups with the 6mm immediately following.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Are these factory loads or are you loading them? My wm likes the BH factory over the A191. The vertical spread seems to show that the ammo/barrel combo needs tuning. I would try a different load combo to see. If load testing, I always take a known to "verify" my ability and check the rifle if I have problems with the unknowns.

I wouldn't think you are having a hold issue since it's mainly vertical.

Do you know what numbers the bottom three are?

My guess is also, no dialed or elevation hold change during the group?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!