Thread: Precision with or without suppressor?

Feedback Score

Precision with or without suppressor?

Using an accurate rifle, which configuration is likely to give the best accuracy or precision?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From what I've read, most say a good suppressor will at most help the accuracy a small amount.

I have been running my lmt mws as a precision rifle unsuppressed for nearly a year, but just purchased a surefire suppressor for it this week.

My reasoning:

1. The private land I shoot on is legal to shoot on, but the neighbor's get curious when lots of gunfire is heard. (Sometimes inviting themselves to shoot with you).

2. The suppressor will make my .308 a little easier to shoot due to the decreased recoil, sound and blast. Also I will be using a muzzle brake mount so when the suppressor is removed recoil will be milder.

3. I plan to shoot more team matches and feel a suppressor would make spotter shoot communication easier. I would be able to wear just a light pair of ear pro instead of the plugs and sometimes muff's I wear. The last match I shot in made me realize how nice it would be to communicate with out yelling and constantly asking my partner what he just said.

4. The last reason I can think of is that I wanted to buy one while I could. You never can tell what the future may be as far as suppressor availability so I decided to go ahead and pick one up.

I'm sure more will follow, as I already have plans for an aac m4-2000 when the surefire clears.

Feedback Score
    I agree that silencers make the shooting sessions more pleasant from several aspects, what I am curious about is the physical changes they show during usage relative to precision.

I have and use 2 AAC silencers, one a direct thread Cyclone model, the other a quick atach SPR-M4 model. I have noticed that there are differences when using these accessories, and am trying to expand my knowledge and understanding of this polite aspect of shooting.

Overall I think they are a tremendous asset, but their use comes with financial, weight, mobility and responsibility costs.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

accuracy

this is an interesting question. From shooting GemTech, SureFire, Kights and Ops Inc on platforms from MK11's,MK12's,M40A5's,M110's and Blazers, AI's. In calibers from .22 on up to .338 mag I would say only a cheap or heavy can produces inconitant performance. It seems to me that quality cans are very consistant and thus very accurate. Th same with a well tuned bolt or gas gun, consistancy is accuracy. But I think the issue has been usually more point of impact shift from without the can to shooting with it. It just about always seems to shift the impact. It seems to shift less with lighter cans, I think after speaking to Kel at Gemtech and Clay at Surefire that 14oz seems to be the magic number in regard to minimal point of aim point of impact shift. This had also been evident to me in my own work and personal shooting suppressed.

Just shoot good quality ammo, same lot number if you can manage and collect solid data and every range you can. you can plug in your info to a number of free ballsitic programs these days and fill in the holes.

Shooting 7.62 suppressed hardly even warrants ear pro, at least with our 175gr Sierra loads. Its that darn 5.56 thats so hard to keep quiet. But SureFires can have been good for us, although too exspensve considering they provide almost the same level of suppression as the gemtechs (at least with our ammo). But I think everyone should have a can, its just common sense hearing conservation. Having my hearing damaged over years in the military and mainly in a few IED blasts in afghan i really appreciate the increase in comms also.

Have fun shooting that new SureFire, im sure it will not dissapoint you at all!
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28