Thread: Which Pistol-Caliber Carbine for IDPA DMG?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Which Pistol-Caliber Carbine for IDPA DMG?

My wife started IDPA just this year, pistol only so far (shooting an M&P9). She is thinking about getting in on some of the DMG side matches for rifle, probably in the pistol-caliber carbine division.

I have always used AR's and AK's in the side matches, but a shooter in a match yesterday had a Beretta Storm that caught her eye, so we got to talking........

She has no problem with my AR's recoil, but since she is small the weight is a little much, and blast also is more than she is used to. So one of the 9mm carbines might be the best approach for her in DMG.

I have never owned nor know much of anything about this class of firearm. The Storm seems popular but I am not sure why, or what other choices there are.

Anybody shooting a pistol-caliber carbine -- either for IDPA DMG or on any other basis -- please fill me in. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The Beretta Storm is a decent choice, they're reliable with factory Beretta magazines and optics ready.

The manual of arms is different than just about anything else, so bear that in mind. That's not that much of a handicap if the person using it doesn't have a lot of time on an AR.

Of course, there's always the Colt 6450 9mm carbine, but it's not quite as optics ready and will weigh more.

*Edited to add....avoid any of the Century Arms subgun clones.*
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    At our carbine matches we had a contingent of 3-4 guys that were running Storms for awhile, and running them well and performing well. Not sure on the max range at IDPA DMG rules matches, but that could become an issue. At 5.75lbs unloaded it may well work out nicely for your wife. and if it's really just about the gaming anyway for her, the manual of arms thing probably doesn't matter, and may even seem more familiar if she's used to pistol shooting. I know the magazine release is in the same place, and I think there is a pistol-style bolt-release, and the charging handle can be reversed depending on how you want to use it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks Templar and rob_s.

I forgot to add that this would be a mostly-gaming gun.

Any idea what new Storms are costing now? I am seeing conflicting figures through searches, but it looks like they have come up a lot from a couple of years ago. Cost is a consideration, this being only a casual schitzengiggles item.

I am also seeing that some people dislike the Storm's trigger. My wife pretty much only likes M&P/Glock type triggers. Anything long and heavy-ish double-action feeling would probably be a no-go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've noticed the same RE: price. I went to Beretta.com to check the weight for my previous post and was shocked to see an MSRP of over $900.
    IIRC the guys that were shooting them in our matches were getting them in the $600 range but I have no idea if that pricing still holds. At that price I thought they made a lot of sense as they were priced about what a pistol would be.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    This may or may not fit the bill, but I shoot a three gun match where some of the stages have to be shot w/ a pistol caliber carbine due to noise requirements. (Yes, I am talking about Blackcreek for those of you in Va.)
    I used it as an excuse to get a sbr FN PS90. The cost of admission is higher, and I readily admit that it's ammunition does not make it the"death ray" that FN would have you believe... But it is freakishly reliable, scores a 100% on cdi pts, is very light w/ virtually zero recoil, handles very well (even with the 16" barrel), And I can usually shoot 2 or 3 stages inside one 50 rd mag.
    This carbine may not be the solution for a lot of people, but I really enjoy mine.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I've been looking further at various options but getting put off by most of the price tags.

However, what about the Mech-Tech carbine conversion? I've currently got a G19 not on active duty that could be converted. The basic unit costs $360, although I would have to add sights and one of the buttstock options. The tele-stock looks pretty cool, and I've been wanting some kind of collapsable.

Do Mech-Techs qualify for IDPA DMG matches? How about reliability?

ETA: Hmm....seems like nobody is hot on Mech-Tech's, either pro or con.
    Last edited by blackscot; 07-01-11 at 13:27.