Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Purpose Semi-Auto Shotgun

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

General Purpose Semi-Auto Shotgun

Introduction: I used the search feature but didn't quite find exactly what I was looking for and so I thought I'd start this thread to spark some discussion to see if there were others in my situation. Essentially I'm looking for a general purpose, semi-automatic shotgun that can perform a variety of tasks well-enough but in the most cost-effective manner.

Caveats: While I know very little about shotguns I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a Benelli M2 or Beretta 390 series but want to approach the choice in a way that makes financial sense. I'm not looking for opinions as to why this choice would be better or why such-and-such operating system sucks or kicks ass, but if it helps someone else reading this thread go ahead and offer it. I don't really need "tactical" advice here, I'm more interested in hearing from skeet shooters/duck hunters who also have some tactical knowledge and understand the trade-offs involved.

Background: Over the years I've never really had a need for a shotgun, I've owned an 870 tactical, more because I thought I should have one that any real need or desire. In fact I pretty much didn't like shooting it but thought that it's value as a GP gun with the potential to hunt duck and other game (I've been duck hunting in my youth but never really got into it much due to cost/convenience but as an enlightened amateur chef it's probably my favorite game/meat source).

Recent Events: This past weekend I was taken skeet shooting for the first time and I am pretty well hooked. It's really some of the most fun I've ever had shooting targets and so I want to do it lots more and it gives me an excuse I need to start duck hunting.

Choices: That said I'm trying to get into this for as little money as possible and while skeet typically requires 4 gauges to get into competition seriously, I'm more just looking to do it for fun and so I don't really have multiple thousands of dollars to spend on this.

Additionally it would be preferable to have some form of tactical shotgun capability in the form of an easy barrel change and mag extension tube when needed.

In order of preference with associated questions:
    1. Benelli M2 - Would it be more cost effective to get the "tactical" version and then buy a skeet/duck barrel? or vice-versa? I don't like ghost rings so that's not an issue as I'd get rifle sights on a tactical model. Additionally is there any difference in the quality or receiver as there is between the Remington Police and Express versions?
    2. Beretta 390 - Distant second choice, are there after-market parts that allow it to be converted to a tactical model?
    3. Remington Versa-Max or 1100? Even more distant 3rd choice but thought I should consider it. I didn't know if the versa-max was equal in quality to a police or more like an express? Additionally whether it could take 1100 barrels?

Down the road: While skeet requires 4 gauges (12, 20, 28 and .410) and this would take care of 12 gauge, eventually I'll have to break down and get the others. I figured the best way to do this was a shotgun with interchangeable barrels but I don't know anything about who offers such a package at a decent price. I'd rather not buy total crap but a Holland and Holland isn't a viable choice.

Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 06-27-11 at 09:38.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Mossberg 930 series. I'm using it for 3gun and Skeet/Trap. I'm really considering getting their SPX version for a "Tactical" shotgun, it has a +2(7rds total) and 18.5in barrel from the factory.

I would avoid Remington shotguns. I had a 11-87 for years, and it was great for hunting, but thats it. Gotta put alot of money into it to bring it into the world of a GP Shotgun IMO.

The 930 I picked up was the Field version, had the barrel cut down to 24in(just behind the ports), got a Nordic +6 extension, had the lifter welded and the feed port beveled out and opened up.
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 06-27-11 at 09:38.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Is the Mossy gas or recoil operated?

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    It has a operating system almost identical the the Benelli's
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    The gas-operated, semi-automatic shotgun is a direct descendant of the excellent Mossberg 930 hunting guns. The shared self-regulating gas operating system reduces recoil and eases stress on its components by venting whatever excess gas isn’t required to cycle the action.

The system uses two gas ports in the barrel to power a piston that surrounds the magazine tube under the barrel. The set-up gives the Mossberg a bit of a chunky for-end (to accommodate the moving parts), but nothing that looks out of place. The 930 SPX functions smoothly and reliably without a gas seal ring. An added bonus: the 930 SPX also field strips without a lot of drama.
    http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10...tical-shotgun/

Doesn't sound much like a Benelli at all to me. Closest would be the M4 with its ARGO dual-piston gas system.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    As an aside, in case it wasn't clear, reliability would be a prime consideration.

The mossy looks very interesting even though I hadn't considered it, they even have a 930 package that comes with a tactical and sporting barrel.

Feedback Score

Winchester SX3

Winchester SX3 makes a great choice IMO.

1. 26" still maneuverable in a house (not the greatest length) and does the job for hunting.

2. You can add a Nordic magazine extension to give you 6-8 shots.

3. One gas piston versus switching from a light load piston to a heavy load.

4. If you want a shorter barrel you can look for another barrel on gunbroker any Browning Gold, Maxus, SX2 (older version), FN SLP will fit.

Mine has cycled flawlessly for me soft shooter however that is subjective to the user.

A SX3 can be had for around 900$. I don't know if you need to be logged in to view these pics but here is the link to Brian Enos forum.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...&#entry1085102

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are looking for a trap/skeet gun check out the Stoeger 2000. Its basically a Benelli M1(built on the old M1 tooling) with cheaper furniture and a slightly different spring setup(spring around the magazine vs. in the stock). They run about 400 bucks or so. Mine has been flawless through 1000 rounds or so(I know not a great indicator, but probably more rounds than most shotguns see in their life). There are not to many accessories for the gun, but for trap and skeet, not much is needed. They come with a big fiber optic front sight on them already. Comes with sling swivels already installed. Comes with 5 chokes, they arent the greatest quality(I dont think), but they work. It really just needs a limb saver pad and its good to go. I have a 30" gun and I keep thinking about ordering the 18.5" barrel for it for $200(but then I think about grabbing an 870 with 18.5" barrel for $350 and I hesitate to order the barrel).

For the $400 I paid for the gun I have not regretted it at all and its been a joy to shoot.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    If you are looking for a trap/skeet gun check out the Stoeger 2000. Its basically a Benelli M1(built on the old M1 tooling) with cheaper furniture and a slightly different spring setup(spring around the magazine vs. in the stock). They run about 400 bucks or so. Mine has been flawless through 1000 rounds or so(I know not a great indicator, but probably more rounds than most shotguns see in their life). There are not to many accessories for the gun, but for trap and skeet, not much is needed. They come with a big fiber optic front sight on them already. Comes with sling swivels already installed. Comes with 5 chokes, they arent the greatest quality(I dont think), but they work. It really just needs a limb saver pad and its good to go. I have a 30" gun and I keep thinking about ordering the 18.5" barrel for it for $200(but then I think about grabbing an 870 with 18.5" barrel for $350 and I hesitate to order the barrel).

For the $400 I paid for the gun I have not regretted it at all and its been a joy to shoot.
    Do they come in 20 gauge? I wouldn't mind spending some coin on a decent 12 gauge like an M2 that I can switch back and forth between sporting and tactical, but it's the 20 gauge sporting only versions that are giving me some heart burn with the price...being that even cheap ones make an M2 look modestly priced.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dont think so. Only 12g.

Stoeger has some over unders(which are designed for skeet and trap) which are 20g for about 500 bucks. The Condor Supreme is the one I am interested in. They also have a combo 12/20 over under
    Last edited by rjacobs; 06-29-11 at 09:27.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast