Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trunk Weapon?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Question Trunk Weapon?

I just traded my old Jeep for a new one, and it has a lockable compartment under the floor of the trunk. I'm thinking about leaving an AR in there, separated into the Upper and Lower for space reasons. Maybe a chest rig with 3 mags in it as well.

This would be for defense in case of a societal break down that happens in a matter of hours. I.e. LA Riots, aftermath of a massive attack, etc. Also for if we encounter a ****in bear while hitting the jeep trails.

Even though it's perfectly legal, I think this might be a bad idea.
    What are your thoughts? Go for it? Not worth it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Perhaps a side/under folder AK. Be a little cheaper for a gun that is going to see a lot of abuse. And you wouldn't need to assemble it before it is ready to go.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have a $450 under-folder AK and a $400 Rem 870 that I keep in my truck. Not both at the same time. I have a Chest rig and a Go-Bag set up for both of them. I choose the one that best suits the day’s activity or if I am going someplace that I can’t take the AK. Worst case I am out about $500. There is no way I would put one of my $2500 N4s in my truck and leave it there. That is what I got the AK for anyway.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Worst case I am out about $500.
    Plus the fact that you'd have armed a crook. That would bug me more than the money.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMETNA View Post
    Plus the fact that you'd have armed a crook. That would bug me more than the money.
    Good point. But I weighed the pros and cons and that is what I have come up with. I would hate to be stuck in the middle of the BIG SH!@ with just me Glock 27. That would be a very bad day.
    Last edited by docsherm; 06-28-11 at 13:49.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is one question I struggle with. How to keep myself armed in my car with more than a measly Glock 19 or 1911 without giving a crook easy access to a rifle when I get out of the car.

How about a PS90? 50 round mag, drops brass at your feet, could be shot one handed if needed... It's very short, very quick handling, and easy to shoot well. Wish I still had one!
    Disclosure - I am the Founder of www.FusionWebArchitects.com and don't shoot for living. However, I do run websites for various companies by contract, including several in the firearms business. I also do product photography for some (like Maglula & Slidefire Solutions). Our clients include www.CrossbreedHolsters.com, www.LoessHillsTactical.com, www.Maglula.com, www.AccurateArmory.com and various FFLs. Pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/owen-imaging

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I like my PS90 a lot. I'd be hesitant to rely on it as a trunk weapon, though. First off, it's expensive and I'd hate for it to be stolen. More importantly, though, there is ample reliable evidence that the terminal performance of the standard 5.7x28 offerings is sub-par. This would be especially problematic for situations where the need for penetrating barriers (i.e. auto bodies and glass) might be required.

I think a cheap folding AK, beater shotgun, or a lever-gun would all be better choices.

FWIW, I occasionally roll with an old Glock 22 in my vehicle as a supplement to my CCW. The G22 stays locked in a small steel handgun case which is cabled to a seat support. It's cheap, corrosion resistant, as theft resistant as I can make it, and relatively quick to get to. Plus, 46 rounds of 180gr gold dots should solve whatever problem I've encountered (or get me killed in the process ;-) ).
    Last edited by kerplode; 07-01-11 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    IMO the locking compartment in the back end of a Jeep (if it's under the rear decking) is pretty safe from the average thief who would rummage through your car.

Around here its pocketable stuff like GPS's, change, computers and even purses/wallets that knuckleheads leave visible in their usually unlocked cars.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's where it is. Under the rear deck. I like the idea of having my range stuff in the Jeep too. "I was at the range earlier, I haven't been home yet." is better than "We live in increasingly uncertain times and I like to prepare for the worst and pray for the best"

Also, 2 mags is probably just fine. If I needed more than 56 rounds to stay alive, then some good running sneakers would serve best. (Or a heavy right foot, whichever is possible)

Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    IMO the locking compartment in the back end of a Jeep (if it's under the rear decking) is pretty safe from the average thief who would rummage through your car.

Around here its pocketable stuff like GPS's, change, computers and even purses/wallets that knuckleheads leave visible in their usually unlocked cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast