Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Trunk Weapon?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I don't believe the intent of having a trunk gun is immediate access...otherwise you wouldn't have it in the trunk.
    But you still need a plan and you need to practice it.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Why not just get a Magpul FMG9? http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/fmg9.pdf

Haha! I wonder what ever happened to these... I think they were first introduced at SHOT 2008!

But seriously, I'm trying to find someone who makes a trunk mount that will allow me to carry my Benelli Super Nova Tactical in the trunk of my BMW 323i (not the largest trunk), but I want it to be locked. So far the only thing I've come across is the Tufloc trunk mount (http://www.chiefsupply.com/2291-Tufl...unk-Mount.aspx), but don't know if it will fit yet and the only Benelli they make them for is the M1. Anyone else know of anything?

Feedback Score
    While on duty, i started keeping my patrol rifle in the trunk rather than in the mount behind my head.

A couple things i discovered that during the hot ass new orleans summers with the a/c cranked up my Eotech optic would fog up so bad that it took about 5 minutes to effectively clear up.

Also, if i was in my vehicle it was quicker for me to draw my sidearm than to unlock the mount, chamber and engage while still seated in the driver seat. A crown vic with a cage is a lot smaller area than most personal vehicles but a sidearm is always quicker.

My m4 was equipped with the 11" barrel and with my seating position i had enough room to shoulder the rifle while in the driver seat and be able to engage targets in front of me and to the passenger side. Driver side was out of the question. Once again pistol is better. Even with practice it is difficult to move around with a small long gun in the driver seat. I cant see a civilian being able to manipulate the weapon properly w/out a lot practice.

Furthermore, in my case i found that exiting my vehicle and taking a position at the rear of my vehicle gave me time to gear up w/ my rifle and strap on extra mags.

A rifle in a vehicle would be useful but i can only think of a few instances where it would be more useful than a good pistol with adequate ammo.

Shooting from a stationary vehicle is a lot of fun and good training but can prove to be difficult w/ out knowing the proper tactics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4twenty6 View Post
    Shooting from a stationary vehicle is a lot of fun and good training but can prove to be difficult w/ out knowing the proper tactics.
    For those that don't know, shooting an AR from inside a soft-skinned vehicle is loud, smokey, and glass is flying everywhere. I would recommend anyone who thinks they may have to shoot from inside a vehicle should try it some time (junk yards have wrecked cars perfect for this).

On the fog issue, it's only a concern in areas of high humidity but I understand what you are saying. Try one of these.
    They sell the McNett stuff in some of the PX's.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Dave. L good call on the glass, I meant to put that but it slipped my mind. We were shooting from the outside of one of our junk cars and busted the back glass from the concussion. Funny as hell when it happened though.

A high caliber rifle will blow out side windows and **** up your ears something awful. Adrenaline pumping instance you may not notice it initially but yours ears will ring for a while.

On the fogging, i was nervous to put that stuff on the eotech but if you have tried it without issue then i will definitely do it. The optic was department issued so I didnt want to have to pay for it.

When i purchase my own i will definitely try it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    How quickly will high temperatures degrade the powder in ammunition to the point where they might be dangerous to shoot? I've considered storing a 18" Mossberg500 in the trunk along with about a hundred rounds of 00 buck and slugs, but I'm concerned that with the high temperatures here in the desert southwest, the rounds could go bad. I remember DocGKR once mentioned to me that rounds with powder damaged by heat could create higher than normal pressure.
    Last edited by uwe1; 08-04-11 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    For those that don't know, shooting an AR from inside a soft-skinned vehicle is loud, smokey, and glass is flying everywhere. I would recommend anyone who thinks they may have to shoot from inside a vehicle should try it some time (junk yards have wrecked cars perfect for this).
    I can tell you from experience that this is so true. When you see people hanging out the windows and shooting in the movies it is total BS. If you need to you just shoot through the glass and keep it going that way. You also have to know that because of the tempered glass in a car you need to hold your breath until you get a good hole to shoot out of. When you start to shoot out of the glass it will fill the car with very fine glass fragments that will mess up your lungs. You can end up with hundreds of small lacerations in them and start coughing up blood. Not a good thing. You need to run the car with the windows down to air it out.

Also remember that when shooing into a car the bullet will change direction in a downward angle quite a bit and the bullet will angle up when shooting out of a car. Just some food for thought.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Docsherm:
    I like everything you said but,
    I have to disagree on the bullet trajectory when shooting into a vehicle.

The SWAT team I was with did some training in April with junk cars that were seized and it was point of aim, point of impact when shooting through the windows with .38+P, 9mm, .40 cal, .223 and .308. We shot from varios distances and shooting angle and this was the case each time we shot.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Docsherm:

The SWAT team I was with did some training in April with junk cars that were seized and it was point of aim, point of impact when shooting through the windows with .38+P, 9mm, .40 cal, .223 and .308. We shot from varios distances and shooting angle and this was the case each time we shot.
    Are you talking about the side windows? If so I can completely agree with you on this. Were you shooting in them or out of them?
    Last edited by docsherm; 08-05-11 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Docsherm:

Docsherm was probably referring to shooting through the windshield, ie safety glass at an angle.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast