Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Trunk Weapon?

Feedback Score
    No Doc this was front and rear windows too. One of the vehicles was an 90's chevy lumina and the other gem of a vehicle, an early 90's buick regal.

It was as surprising to us as it was to you doc, we all thought we would get some deflection from the front and rear windows. One shot usually collapses the side windows so we were limited to the number of testing. 9mm was going through the windshield, the front head rest and either out of the back window or into the rear seat depending on the angle.

The Sheriff actually wanted us to do these test because of the number of potential and actual shootings we had involving shooting into vehicles.

We had some incidents where detectives were injured after criminals tried to run them over and a few of the detectives asked if our weapons were adequately penetrating the vehicle and would be able to stop the threat.

It is amazing where a .38 caliber round will end up if you shoot the headlight. We found them in the trunk in some instances.

We once thought that the A pillar was a good place to use as cover if needed in a gun fight. Negative, all caliber penetrated.

9mm was going through a door and clean out the other from a straight shot. At steep angle it was deflecting off of the door.

I could go on but you get the idea. I dont wanna to give away all our weeknesses/ strengths on the internet.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    That is strange because I have done extensive training (and it is very fun to shoot up cars ) and we got about a 45 deg down deflection from a 77gr and 62 gr 5.56 and about the same from our 9mm. It was really bad shooing out (about a 55 deg up angle) until you get a hole to shoot from.
    Last edited by docsherm; 08-05-11 at 09:38.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also know from experience that while a few 5.56 rounds placed low on the windshield may go through, most seem to skip right over. FWIW, this was on a controlled range environment; IMHO shooting at a windshield with 5.56 in most places would be dangerous for the surrounding community.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    Doc, was that from inside?

Also we were shooting from close range, inside 7 yds.

.38 not sure what brand.
    9mm speer 147gr hollow point.
    Federal 62 gr. flat trajectory bonded boat tail
    .308 was snipers rds so not sure what they had.

Feedback Score
    We were able to skip rounds off of the hood and trunk and had it penetrate the glass with the .223 rounds. But we were trying to do that by shooting somewhat level with the hood.
    I can believe a round would be skipped off of the windshield if the angle was right but as for it happening while we were standing and at close range, none of ours skipped.

None skipped off of the actual windshield though.
    Maybe it had something to do with the round or distance shot from. Like i said we were close range.

Even on shooting scenes i never saw evidence of rounds skipping off of the front or rear glass. Does it leave a big mark like a rock chip? Even with ball ammo that these thugs sometimes use, i havent observed anything that looked like a round skipping.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4twenty6 View Post
    Doc, was that from inside?

Also we were shooting from close range, inside 7 yds.

.38 not sure what brand.
    9mm speer 147gr hollow point.
    Federal 62 gr. flat trajectory bonded boat tail
    .308 was snipers rds so not sure what they had.
    We would shoot from the inside and the outside of cars.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Yea it was just under the surface and sticking out. barely bleeding.
    EMT's were flabergasted.

The forehead is supposed to be extremely thick bone mass.

We tried to make sense of it like maybe it was an old light load that didnt burn completely or something. I will never forget that.

Oh by the way i just saw that the S&P lowered the country's credit rating from AAA to AA+. Isnt that just lovely!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I also know from experience that while a few 5.56 rounds placed low on the windshield may go through, most seem to skip right over. FWIW, this was on a controlled range environment; IMHO shooting at a windshield with 5.56 in most places would be dangerous for the surrounding community.
    I have seen 5.56 amd 9mm "skip" off a windshild from differant angles. We were shown that so that we could position ourselves better in the event that we needed to shoot at a car. It is a real pain if it is moving.

Feedback Score
    hey doc, never shot through the window of a vehicle from the inside.
    I have shot out of a vehicle in various training scenarios and such.

I wonder what the difference is in our experience. So many variables to consider i guess that could contribute to different behavior.

Bullets tend to do some crazy shit sometimes though.

We had a black kid get shot point blank in the fore head while he was mowing his lawn. .357 magnum, old ass revolver and probably older bullet, it was ball ammo.

****ING THING STUCK IN HIS FOREHEAD!

Brother if im lying im dying!

We found the kid laying down with ice on it, he didnt know the bullet was still there. i wish i could have taken a picture of it. It happened while i was in training and didnt take a picture cuz i didnt want to get in trouble.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4twenty6 View Post
    hey doc, never shot through the window of a vehicle from the inside.
    I have shot out of a vehicle in various training scenarios and such.

I wonder what the difference is in our experience. So many variables to consider i guess that could contribute to different behavior.

Bullets tend to do some crazy shit sometimes though.

We had a black kid get shot point blank in the fore head while he was mowing his lawn. .357 magnum, old ass revolver and probably older bullet, it was ball ammo.

****ING THING STUCK IN HIS FOREHEAD!

Brother if im lying im dying!

We found the kid laying down with ice on it, he didnt know the bullet was still there. i wish i could have taken a picture of it. It happened while i was in training and didnt take a picture cuz i didnt want to get in trouble.
    That is so true....bullets do some crazy things.

That is NUTS!!!!! Was it just under the skin? He must have had a real tuff head....talk about being thick headed.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast