Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selling a suppressor you own...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Arrow selling a suppressor you own...

Greetings. Is this how a suppressor sale to another person works? Can is currently form 4'd to me of course.

- ensure buyer is in a NFA friendly state

- send in form 4 paperwork and my $200.00 for transfer from me to my local class III dealer

- when approved / stamped form 4 comes in the mail, have my local class III dealer form 3 it to the buyer's class III dealer

- when that is approved, my dealer sends it to the buyer's dealer

- when it arrives, buyer starts form 4 paperwork to transfer can to him

Does that sound about right?

Feedback Score
    Essentially yes, that is how it would be done..

Only thing amiss is I think when you transfer the can to your SOT its on a form 3, not a form 4, semantics in this case.....

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    You can apparently transfer on a Form 4 from you to the receiving dealer.

Then the buyer's dealer can Form 4 it to him. It saves you a step.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVAN View Post

oh...interesting..so class III items do not need to transfer out of state from an existing sot?

as long as when they enter the state they are going to a current sot holder?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Roger that....

So long as the Title II item is going to a Title II FFL, you should be good to go.

I have done two of these in the last 6 months. Both approved without a hitch.

One to Utah and one to Ohio -- from Virginia.

You can do it the way that is described in the original post, but that costs you some time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    SHIVAN,

So if I read this correctly I can get the SOT / class III info (for filling out the form 4) from the buyer's dealer, form 4 it to that dealer directly? Saves me a step and the $50.00 NFA transfer fee that my dealer will charge me. I can completely bypass my dealer.

I take it I would have to check with the buyer's dealer to see if they'll go this route.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    In my two cases, I provided the item's serial number, manufacturer address, caliber, and my personal data to the out of state FFL/SOT. That dealer then sent me a signed/partially completed Form 4.

When I got it, I signed it, and forwarded it to BATFE directly with the $200 check.

In a few weeks you will get that completed Form 4 back at your address of record. Then you ship the item via FedEx to the dealer on the Form 4 with proper insurance.

Both of mine went off without a hitch.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Arrow

I spoke with Tim McCulley and Scot Ferguson, NFA examiners, and they both told me that I could form 4 the can to the buyer's class III FFL. Tim said that I did not have to include a copy of my trust, or a citizenship form, or fill out the back page of the form 4 - transferee questions, certification / signature. In this case, the transferee is the buyer's FFL and I am the transferor. So I included the form 4 and the check. We'll see what happens.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
    Greetings. Is this how a suppressor sale to another person works? Can is currently form 4'd to me of course.

- ensure buyer is in a NFA friendly state

- send in form 4 paperwork and my $200.00 for transfer from me to my local class III dealer

- when approved / stamped form 4 comes in the mail, have my local class III dealer form 3 it to the buyer's class III dealer

- when that is approved, my dealer sends it to the buyer's dealer

- when it arrives, buyer starts form 4 paperwork to transfer can to him

Does that sound about right?

Skip the xfer to a local FFL, and send it direct to *any* (except C&R) FFL in the buyer's state. Does not have to be SOT. Can be useful if buyer does not have an SOT nearby.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

SHIVAN,

My form 4 is approved and should arrive in a day or so. Is there a FedEx method of shipping (overnight, 2 day, etc.) that is required, or can I go with ground to ship my suppressor + approved form 4 to the OH dealer?

In a few weeks you will get that completed Form 4 back at your address of record. Then you ship the item via FedEx to the dealer on the Form 4 with proper insurance.

Both of mine went off without a hitch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast