Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When its time to go what could I hope to find out there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

When its time to go what could I hope to find out there.

I have been thinking a lot lately of my bug-out guns and the ability to resupply ammunition should the need arise. Now lets face it if a truly national large scale event took place I would predict every possible retail resupply source would dry up in short order.

So with retail outlets discarded I decided to base my choices on common calibers which maybe found while savaging (Not taken by force, abandon property searches etc.) in a urban setting. Since one would be most prudent to travel lite while bugging out I limited my calibers to four if in a vehicle and two if on foot.

Now before I disclose my choices I was wondering what everyone else was packing if forced to drive or hoof it on foot to another location and the reason behind those choices.

Many times in past threads I have read that the 5.56 or 9mm caliber would be good choice due to possible resupply from military sources, Now while military ammunition resupply could be possible for law enforcement personnel I would bet most members here could agree that such a scenario would be highly unlikely for civilians so to that end lets keep it to more likely and reasonable chances of procurement.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 03-25-11 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    Just throwing it out there that A LOT of LEO's are issued .40's. Your right about the 5.56 and 9mm military options too.

I live in hickville so i bet the most common caliber around here is
    .30-06

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I'm planning on 9mm and 5.56,

but remember you can find other calibers and trade them still,

another option would be to get a .40 glock with a conversion barrels, then all you have to tote is a few extra mags, and you've got 3 common calibers.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Some guy not brave enough to put his name on it, so he slapped Jefferson's name on it.

Feedback Score
    92 (96%)
    Probably a .22 cause if I really have the bail
    I have to think survival,
    Carrying around a shitload of ammo for 1/2 a dozen weapons ain't gonna cut it
    and I sure as hell ain't relying on the government or any LE branch to supplement my ammo
    if anything I'd be stashing it to keep em from taking it.

After seeing that power hungry crap they pulled after Katrina
    no way am I sticking around for any of their bullshit.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I have been thinking a lot lately of my bug-out guns and the ability to resupply ammunition should the need arise.
    If you plan on bugging out ON FOOT with just the ammo you can carry for your primary longarm and you run into a scenario where you blast through all your ammo, you're probably not going to survive outta there...

Bug out with a BOV you should be able to carry enough to last you awhile, unless you get into a firefight, where the ammo in the back in ammo cans won't help that much either. If what you carry on you won't get you out a situation, again, your number is probably up...

Bug IN or a RETREAT is the only serious option for bulk ammo... I wouldn't count on buying ammo anywhere, IMO... But I see you live in Philly, which would be one of the last places I would bug IN at... I have relatives near UofP so I know the city somewhat well... enough to know I would want to get the hell out BEFORE things get squirrly

Rmpl
    Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 03-25-11 at 21:44.
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I bugged out of Phila in 1986 after a harrowing 4 years and would recommend that any other residents of that disaster zone do the same asap.

That being said, you can carry a lot of .22 lr rounds. Have you considered a take down .22 rifle in your pack, like the Marlin Papoose or similar?

As for resupplying, in true shtf there will be dead cops and soldiers about here and there, so you may be able to pick up a few rounds of .40 or .223. [What is the first thing Katrina people did when relief arrived? They shot at helicopters. And those helicopters were trying to help them. What if the cops were trying to make them do something that they did not want to do?] 12 ga. is very common. Then we go to deer hunting calibers like 30-06, 308, 270, etc.
    Last edited by 500grains; 03-26-11 at 07:55.

Feedback Score
    I've narrowed my main calibers to .223, .308, 7.62x39 and 45ACP, although I still have a couple 38 revolvers too. I should get a 22 rifle.
    "You won't rise to the ocassion, you'll default to your level of training." Barrett Tillman

NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    Pa ACT235 Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    .22LR is the best way to carry ammo in bulk. .22 LR can be fired without drawing a lot of attention to your location. I'd probably carry an AR and G-17, but this one would definitely be along for the trek as well.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    If you plan on bugging out ON FOOT with just the ammo you can carry for your primary longarm and you run into a scenario where you blast through all your ammo, you're probably not going to survive outta there...

Bug out with a BOV you should be able to carry enough to last you awhile, unless you get into a firefight, where the ammo in the back in ammo cans won't help that much either. If what you carry on you won't get you out a situation, again, your number is probably up...
    Rmpl
    I see your point but I'M a avoid/evade mindset and not a shoot it out unless cornered type of guy, but things can and will happen as Murphy's law dictates. Simple misfortunes like your bug-out vehicle breaking down or being disabled due to running out of fuel or you may get separated from your pack when forced to ditch it for speed to elude hostiles and so on. My line of thinking on this subject is how can I increase my odds of savaging ammunition by making smart choices on what common gun owners may have abandoned once they bailed for greener pastures. Sure my whole EOTWAWKI thinking has less then 00.01% chance of ever occurring but it cant hurt to consider options if the 00.01% ever got lucky.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

ab and go

If it comes down to a bug out on foot situation for the wife and I its simple for us. Although I would love to see her carry her AR, pistol and a .22 thats not realistic. She will carry my .22 and her .45 and I will carry the AR (patrol rifle) and my .45. If I can manage to strap it to my ruck than my 30.06. But the latter is if able and situational dependant.
    “It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” Samuel Adams

Those that bleed with me are forever my brothers OCT 28

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast