Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your experience with recent "Bad QC"

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Well,

About 2004 or 2005 local gun dealer ordered in several Remington 870's. All had to be sent back because the chamber's weren't finished.

One STAG .223 MG was causing rounds to impact sideways. It got sent back and fixed.

Out of a department full of G21SF's I think three had dead night sights upon opening the box. Later a fourth one joined them.

Mossbergs have always been a problem some way or another.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Glock 17 Gen 4. 2 FTEs within the first 350 rounds. This was an early model w/o the counterbore for the recoil spring.

Unmarked recoil spring replaced with 02 spring, FTEs gone.

02 recoil spring got bound up in the slide hole (just like the original), making field strip a hassle. 02 spring replaced with Glockmeister spring, which fixed that issue and still kept the pistol running reliably.

GM spring replaced with Glock 021 spring (which has a metal cup at the front end to enclose the first coil). 021 spring continues to run the gun reliably (just over 2500 rounds since last malf) and now pistol strips easily and w/o drama.

The 02 spring belongs in G17s with the slide counterbore. The 021 belongs in those without.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    S&W - ordered a 686SSR. Noticed that the right grip panel was not sitting flush. The side plate screw underneath was not flush. It was the correct screw, but would not bottom out. Returned to S&W for repair. Service was prompt, but they had to replace the frame. Thank you S&W. How did it pass QC in the first place? Lost interest in the gun and tried to sell it. No one will touch it. Even though I have a letter from S&W that states that they replaced the frame, the box no longer matches the frame and everybody runs quickly away thinking that something is wrong.

Feedback Score
    2010 M&P9 FS.

I could not release the slide with the slide stop without using two thumbs and as much force as I could press.

I think this may have been done on purpose since S&W took some flak for auto forwarding slides and the cs guy told me they recommend the "grab the slide" method for dropping it on a reload. I sent it back and S&W fixed it. Now the gun won't auto forward unless I really slam the mag hard but it is still easy to drop the slide with the slide stop.

Feedback Score
    I see the recurring theme of, "increase QC". This is a nice thought but have these individuals looked at the fact there are already numerous QC programs in place at SIG. First Pass Yield, VWI's for production workers, etc. What it all boils down to is your production employee. This is where quality really is, sure you can hire a boatload of production and manufacturing engineers, then expand your QC dept, implement even more programs and flowcharts, adopt and implement the latest ISO standards but what does this really do? It does provide for increased "catches", yet does not address the real problem, your floor employee who is not paying attention to what they are doing and have no pride in their work. A company relies on the floor employee, and management provides the direction. The two are a cohesive unit integral to success. I grow weary of individuals flamining management yet giving labor a pass.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by malignantbum View Post
    I see the recurring theme of, "increase QC". This is a nice thought but have these individuals looked at the fact there are already numerous QC programs in place at SIG. First Pass Yield, VWI's for production workers, etc. What it all boils down to is your production employee. This is where quality really is, sure you can hire a boatload of production and manufacturing engineers, then expand your QC dept, implement even more programs and flowcharts, adopt and implement the latest ISO standards but what does this really do? It does provide for increased "catches", yet does not address the real problem, your floor employee who is not paying attention to what they are doing and have no pride in their work. A company relies on the floor employee, and management provides the direction. The two are a cohesive unit integral to success. I grow weary of individuals flamining management yet giving labor a pass.
    That's a good point. This country needs more basic pride in one's workmanship. More emphasis on skilled labor and trades.

Managers assume anybody who doesn't have at least a 4 year degree to be a disposable wage-slave, barely worthy of flipping burgers.

Workers these days don't have the skills of past generations, and the culture does not reward people who seek those skills. If you try to become an expert at anything, management will try to get rid of you. Their MBA's tell them the road to profit means avoiding "irreplaceable" skilled workers. You can qualify yourself right out of a job if you're not careful.

Feedback Score
    Ruger SP101

Shot fine, but once it heated up after a few rounds, the cylinder release got harder and harder to push and it finally locked up, making it impossible to reload. Gunsmith got it open, and it was sent back to Ruger, fixed and returned.

It is my dad's pistol, but I have witnessed every round through it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    1. Upon taking my advice, my brother recently had a negative experience with a new, late model production 3rd gen G27. The recoil spring failed just as he began working on the second box of range ammo- 57 rounds. Replaced with a new OEM part and the same thing happened after another 148 rounds. Replaced once again and the pistol has been solid for about 1,200 rounds.

After looking at the recoil assembly it appears that the lip on both of the captive rods had simply failed. I understand that this not that uncommon?

2. Not a huge issue, but I purchased a new Ruger LC9 and immediately brought it to the range. Gun was so full of cosmoline or some other lubricant/preservative (as I later discovered) that the hammer began sticking after the tigger was pulled. Cleaned it up and it works fine. I cannot see how that much gunk got past any visual QC inspection. Now I thoroughly clean and relube all of my new firearms before going to the range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not hardly recent, but memorable to me. I was on official business over in the UK back in 1983 and among other things visited with the the London Metropolitan Police's firearms unit. We toured their armory and while there they showed me their Ruger Mini-14s. At least one had the hole in the rear sight aperture missing--just a solid rear face.

It was a little embarassing not only because I was an American, but a Ruger stockholder at the time as well. Pretty hard to put a good spin on a mistake like that...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    My new 9mm H&K P2000 (back in 2008) came with a .40 recoil spring. It wouldn't function for more then 2-3 rounds. HK did take care of me and replaced the spring as well as sending me a bunch of goodies.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast