Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts regarding pistol technique

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Thoughts regarding pistol technique

If this should be in a better location, mods please move it.

I have been spending some time at the range, dividing time almost equally among my Glock 19, S&W M&P, and SIG 226. What I am finding is that with the Glock I shoot to the left and generally a bit low, 9 o'clock to about 7 o'clock. Not changing my grip (or anything else that I can think of) I am dead-center with the SIG and S&W, though my groups with the M&P are a little scattered.

Thoughts on why I might not be as good with the Glock? Maybe the sights and not me? Maybe entirely me and my grip? Ideas? Trying to troubleshoot a little.

Feedback Score
    1. When I put new sights on a gun, I use some type of rest to verify the sights are aligned correctly.

2. In my experience, when I change between platforms, I don't shoot them all as well as I do when I only maintain one platform.

3. Again in my experience, changing grip sizes, trigger pulls, felt recoil, etc. just leads to too many variables for me to maintain what I want accuracy and speed wise.

I'm not a naturally gifted pistol shooter, and it requires constant work.

Then again, I do know folks that have less probs then me when switching between platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    If this should be in a better location, mods please move it.

I have been spending some time at the range, dividing time almost equally among my Glock 19, S&W M&P, and SIG 226. What I am finding is that with the Glock I shoot to the left and generally a bit low, 9 o'clock to about 7 o'clock. Not changing my grip (or anything else that I can think of) I am dead-center with the SIG and S&W, though my groups with the M&P are a little scattered.

Thoughts on why I might not be as good with the Glock? Maybe the sights and not me? Maybe entirely me and my grip? Ideas? Trying to troubleshoot a little.
    Trigger control is my first thought.

Low left (for a righty) is common for a shooter new to a Glock.

Dry fire with the Glock every night for an hour for the next week and see if you improve.

Or rest the gun. If you can shoot one hole groups from a rest at 30 ft., it's you, not the gun.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Stop screwing around with so many platforms. Pick one and stick with it. Dry fire.

Feedback Score
    How much finger do you put on the trigger? I found my shots drifting left when I was using more of the tip. When I moved closer to the first knuckle they came back in line. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Take a class. Not being flippant.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Good info here, thanks for the gouge, fella's. I will try the Glock on a rest and see how it shoots. lebowski, I do not take your comments flippantly.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Any one of your pistols would make a servicable duty pistol.
    The problem is that they are all basically the same in performance, but different in operation. My inclination would be to choose whichever one you like more (I would say to pick the one you can maintain and repair the easiest, but using whatever criteria means most to you is the goal), and sell the rest. With the money, buy an extra of the size you plan to shoot the most and buy another model in either subcompact size for deep
    concealment or as a BUG, or a fullsize model for funzies.
    For example: 2 G19s and a G26

Following this model will make you more proficient on the platform as a whole and will give you a backup to your primary.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bet if you benched that Glock it would shoot POA=POI, I know mine will. If I do my part with the trigger, I can do the same off hand. tgace's advice runs counter to every instructor I've ever talked to regarding finger placement but he did qualify it with YMMV.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    I bet if you benched that Glock it would shoot POA=POI, I know mine will. If I do my part with the trigger, I can do the same off hand. tgace's advice runs counter to every instructor I've ever talked to regarding finger placement but he did qualify it with YMMV.
    Not counter to Defoor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast