Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts regarding pistol technique

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    I bet if you benched that Glock it would shoot POA=POI, I know mine will. If I do my part with the trigger, I can do the same off hand. tgace's advice runs counter to every instructor I've ever talked to regarding finger placement but he did qualify it with YMMV.
    LAV and Hack both told me to keep using the joint, not the pad. Defoor reinforced that with me, too.

Individual hand/finger size and how it fits on the gun dictates where you need to be.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    I bet if you benched that Glock it would shoot POA=POI, I know mine will. If I do my part with the trigger, I can do the same off hand. tgace's advice runs counter to every instructor I've ever talked to regarding finger placement but he did qualify it with YMMV.
    It's on almost every "error chart" I've ever seen (in regards to being "left" of POA in general).

http://10point9.ie/wp-content/upload..._diagnosis.jpg

Feedback Score
    Iv heard many credible local instructors, some of which I encountered at the Academy, say that for glocks due to the trigger safety you need to allign your trigger finger so that the trigger rests in between the whorl pad and the first finger joint. How far is usually dependent upon the makeup of your hand, but getting back on point, as TGACE and LLEBO have stated, it is an accepted and preached technique from many accredited shooters.

When I went from 1911 to glock, that trigger info helped me out ALOT

Best of luck though, enjoy the 4th
    "There's the way it is, and the way it ought to be" - SGT. Barnes

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks for the tips. I will try finger placement, though I do see merit in selling the G19 and M&P and picking up a couple of SIGS. I don't seem to have this problem with either the SIG or the M&P, just the Glock, which is what has me stumped.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    watch this video and try what he offers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf?...12/_LmO3Cku3CI

I would almost bet your shots will pull back across to the center line.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    It's on almost every "error chart" I've ever seen (in regards to being "left" of POA in general).

http://10point9.ie/wp-content/upload..._diagnosis.jpg
    Thanks for the link. The advice I was given was probably due to the fact that I have pretty small hands and when I get close to the knuckle the shots definitely push out to 8-9 o'clock for me. My placement is much more like Surf's than what others advocate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I will try finger placement, though I do see merit in selling the G19 and M&P and picking up a couple of SIGS. I don't seem to have this problem with either the SIG or the M&P, just the Glock, which is what has me stumped.
    Jumping around from gun to gun definitely requires re-tuning of your trigger finger. Ball and dummy drills and lots of dry fire help a lot to accelerate the process.

If you have a SIG that will run as well as a Glock or M&P, it makes sense to pare down the quiver as these guys are suggesting. I went from 8 pistols in 4 different calibers down to a G19 and M&P 9. I am able to transition between the two quickly now that the M&P is Apex'd out and I definitely shoot a lot better having gone down to one caliber and striker fired guns. I cannot speak to the reliability of the SIG, but the M&P and G19 have been the most reliable guns I've every owned hands down. I know you cannot believe everything you read on the errornet, but a lot of seasoned shooters on this site would not agree with moving over to SIG if given the choice.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have actually been trying to cure a near identical problem and I have one other thought you may wish to consider.

If you rock your hands forward in anticipation it will move the shot to 7:00 - 8:00. You would think it should go to 6:00 but your wrist doesn't easily bend vertically, it moves "down and around" in a very slight arc. At least mine does.

So my theory is that aim is moving slightly up and down on the 12:00/6:00 line but this "anticipation" movement combined with improper trigger manipulation ( be it pad, pull or both ) causes the shots to land 9:00 thru 7:00.

Had you done everything correctly they would have landed centered on target but in a vertical line. Had you done everything correctly and been able to hold perfectly steady they would of course hit the X.

I hope that makes sense. It's still a theory as I can't prove it but I think that's what I might be doing and it sounds like you may be doing similar except I have no idea why it happens with only one gun.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    you want to sell that g 19 let me know
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Stop screwing around with so many platforms. Pick one and stick with it. Dry fire.
    Getting there. I am getting rid of the M&P and getting another SIG. I have been working with the Glock and better with that. I figure I should be OK with Glock and SIGs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast