Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Search and Assess. What's the correct way?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The only way I've been taught how to do it is to bring the pistol in tight to your body (chest), muzzle still pointed at where the threat was in a "combat"/shooting grip and look over both shoulders, which seems logical to me. I don't think turning 360 degrees is a good idea at all, though I have not researched the reasoning or the benefits of doing it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My personal approach is to simply make a conscious effort to have a good look around at everything that is going on in my area.

I don't worry so much about what technique I use to turn around...instead I ask myself questions like, "how many people are there behind the line right now?" or "what kind of hits did the guys just make on the lanes two or three or four over from me? How many people are on the line? Is anyone moving right now, or are all the shooters standing still?" That kind of thing.

I think a lot of people "scan". I'm not interested in "scanning" with the quotation marks attached. I want to actually scan the area and come up with enough information that if someone asked me what I was seeing, I could tell them something useful.

The important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is to be highly aware. The scan move is just an approximation. Keeping your brain engaged is the critical part (and often the aspect that gets ignored on the range in my experience).
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    From an older thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Back to topic-
    When it comes to the "Scan" phase, eyes-muzzle-target just doesn't pan out. It takes far too many assumptions as reality.

At the end of the day, the dude laying on the ground was trying to enact grevious bodily harm on someone, probably you. I am in no rush to impede my ability to deliver a second dose of lead-therapy should he not yet be completely incapacitated. Keep in mind that even destruction of the heart may not cause physiological incapacitation for upwards of 15 seconds, and a non-penetrating strike to the head or CNS can have the threat conscious in short order. The incidence of pistol shots causing permanent incapacitation is way below 100%. What this means is that there is a very high probability of the dude you shot to still be able to enact his will even if he isn't standing up (news flash- people can still pull a trigger when laying down) and can remain a lethal and grave threat at close range even when failing to aim.

Just somethin to ruminate over.
    There are lots of ways to skin the potato, and circumstance may push you into different concepts and techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Conceptually-

1- Point your gun where it is the most advantageous for you in the orientation that is most advantageous to the situation.
    2- Look for and indentify people/things that can further hurt or help you and interact with them accordingly.
    3- Make sure you are in a position that is to your advantage if possible.
    4- Make sure you are ready to deal with more threats.
    5- Do not be in a rush to get the gun out of the fight or assume that everyone on the other side is out of the fight.

Exactly how one accomplishes these tasks and to what depth will depend on many factors:
    -Are you working in a team or alone?
    -What weapons are being employed?
    -What optical devices do you have?
    -What illumination tools do you have?
    -What is your ammo loadout?
    -How close is help?
    -What is the threat composition and density?
    -What is your purpose?

The scan/search and assess/post-shot sequence will be different for a PSG pulling his principal out of an ambush than it will be for Rangers clearing a compound. The weight of necessity of the 5 concepts balanced against situational factors will determine what method will be most applicable and efficient.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Post above make great points.

Gabe Suarez advocates 360 degree scan so that if a bad guy does appear where you're scanning, your body is already oriented to the direction of the bad guy. So rather than turning your whole body to deal with the threat, bring up sights. Much more efficient. He does credit this technique for saving his life a few times.

I however, don't nescessarily turn my whole body into the direction on searching. I keep the gun (rifle or pistol) high port in the direction im scanning.
    Kentucky Regional Training Group

Shot placement is power- Stephen A. Camp

I'm aware my avvy does not stand for Heckler and Koch

Feedback Score
    I don't know about turning the whole body being better for the above reasons. Moving whole body every time is less efficient then minimal head and upper body turning as it involves more energy and time where if there is a threat you will be slower to pick up on them which negates advantage of being oriented in that direction since you can snap to a target pretty quickly when identified. Also is the previously mentioned fact that the direction your facing is likely still the most dangerous so why slowly turn your back on it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aflin View Post
    Gabe Suarez advocates 360 degree scan so that if a bad guy does appear where you're scanning, your body is already oriented to the direction of the bad guy. So rather than turning your whole body to deal with the threat, bring up sights. Much more efficient. He does credit this technique for saving his life a few times.
    Probably in the shower at county.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu_sekai View Post
    on a side note anyone heard of this guy?
    http://www.armeddynamics.com/

He's taken a shitload of tactical response classes. Thats all I need to know.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
    Probably in the shower at county.
    Nice burn

Feedback Score
    Regardless of how you choose to scan for additional threats, do you guys stand still while you're doing it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    He's taken a shitload of tactical response classes. Thats all I need to know.
    Damnit. I live in Philly, too. I was hoping to find someone nearby who teaches classes.

Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast