Thread: Cast vs forged frame semi customs?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Cast vs forged frame semi customs?

I really like the Les Baer Ultimate Recon but noticed they are built on a cast Caspian frame. Any thoughts or FHE with these frames and their quality? A very well known gunsmith and 1911 custom builder told me he no longer uses them. He wrote:
    "Rail gun is the tip off. Baer, Nighthawk, etc. do not make their own frame with a light rail, so they use Caspian’s. Wilson did at one time, too. Like I said before, Caspian makes the best cast frame out there. They are known for being durable.
    I personally do not use them as base gun frames because castings can have incidents of porosity which will leave a small void in the frame. I have had a couple of Caspian frames with voids in the front strap and when you checker them, you break into the void, which leaves an exposed cavity in the checkering pattern. After the second time, I swore off, since I have forged frame alternatives"

Like to hear any thoughts on the matter. All my other 1911's are forged frames . . .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not an expert, but from the research that I have done (which is admittedly not much), this seems to be another issue, much like metal injection molding, in which the quality control, materials, and other factors seem to have more to do with the end product than the manufacturing process itself.
    I do believe from what I have read that cast frames have a shorter lifespan than forged carbon steel frames, but also from what I have read the longevity of a quality cast frame, such as a Caspian, is measured in the mid tens of thousands typically.

I think I personally would opt for forged carbon steel given the choice, but as long as it comes with a good warranty from a reputable company with the features that you want, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
    I'm not an expert, but from the research that I have done (which is admittedly not much), this seems to be another issue, much like metal injection molding, in which the quality control, materials, and other factors seem to have more to do with the end product than the manufacturing process itself.
    I do believe from what I have read that cast frames have a shorter lifespan than forged carbon steel frames, but also from what I have read the longevity of a quality cast frame, such as a Caspian, is measured in the mid tens of thousands typically.

I think I personally would opt for forged carbon steel given the choice, but as long as it comes with a good warranty from a reputable company with the features that you want, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Very good point. I would imagine (or strongly hope) that LB would cover a faulty frame should that arise. Projected statistics aside has anyone ever actually had an issue with Caspian's frames? Now I'm just curious. Looks like WC used them as well on their CQB railed pistols.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It all depends on what you want done to it. Cast frames do have an issue with porosity, but I don't know that its a rip off. Once you have someone start machining on it, it may or may not expose a pocket which has the potential to ruin the whole frame. But if you are going to leave it as is, then I see no big deal in having a cast frame.

When I was putting a parts list together, I really wanted Gemini to do the Dragonskin treatment on the frame. In that case, he strongly advised against a cast frame (maybe even refused to work on cast I can't remember anymore) cause he was gonna be doing a lot of work on it. So I got a Briley frame and it turned out o-mazingly well.