Thread: Help the New Guy please

Feedback Score

Help the New Guy please

Hello all,

Just wanted to start out saying that I'm new here and am excited to be part of what seems to me to be far and away the most professional and reasonable firearms forum around.

I am relatively new to firearms and recently purchased an 870 as I wanted a do-all gun. one of the functions that falls under do-all is home defense. Could someone recommend some drills and techniques to help me become proficient?

Sorry if this is something that gets over talked but I used the search button and didn't find any answers.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I am at the range, I like to shoot one shell at a time and load each new round manually. I pull the action back, drop a round into the ejection port, and push the action forward. That is an essential skill with a home defense shot gun in my opinion.

You may also want to buy a stock saddle or a side receiver saddle to hold 5-6 reloads. Some people like to have half of the saddle with slugs facing one direction, and the other half with 00 buck or similar.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You may also check out the training and tactics section. Look around for a home defense thread. Whether people are talking about pistols, shotguns, or rifles..there is a lot of useful information to be found.

Feedback Score
    Rather than talk about drills, etc; it would be better if you got some hands-on professional training.

Once the fundamentals are established there, then you know what to work on at home.

Now, I'm no professional by any means, but I have taken a few classes, and videos and reading are no substitute for hands-on

Feedback Score
    I agree about the training although financially that's not an option right now for me.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think Magpul just released a tactical shotgun video.

EDIT:
    I found the trailer here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCv0X6SqUg
    Last edited by lateralus180; 07-04-11 at 17:36.

Feedback Score
    Make sure the shotgun is unloaded (including chamber), and manuever around your house with it. Do this in daytime as well as at night. You will quickly learn how to do that. Having the muzzle 'down' rather than 'up' is going to be better so you do not obstruct your view. To me, this is the hardest part.

Feedback Score
    870's are great guns. Good buy.
    Like other's have said, move around your house with an unloaded gun. If you are going to have a trigger guard or some other safety device, work on taking those off in the dark.....
    Building my first AR-15