Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3" Inch 9mm Carry Loads?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    Can I ask what data you are basing your choice on that qualify these loadings acceptable with 3.0 inch barrels?

Thanks!
    Phila PD

From Paul Nowack of Winchester"

When we redesigned the Ranger T Series of ammunition we widened the velocity window under which the round would expand to allow for the slower velocities that shorter than standard barrels produce. What this means is that if you own a standard or sub compact pistol the round should have adequate expansion. In 9mm I would recommend the 147 grain bullet as it loses a lower velocity percentage than the faster lighter bullet in shorter than normal barrels. This is because the bullet has more dwell time in the bore and has a greater opportunity to burn the powder before the bullet exits the bore. Powder that is burned outside the bore does nothing for velocity. The lighter faster bullets generally have more powder to burn and since the lighter faster bullets have less time in the bore they are not efficient burners of powder in the shorter barrels.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    From Paul Nowack of Winchester"

When we redesigned the Ranger T Series of ammunition we widened the velocity window under which the round would expand to allow for the slower velocities that shorter than standard barrels produce. What this means is that if you own a standard or sub compact pistol the round should have adequate expansion. In 9mm I would recommend the 147 grain bullet as it loses a lower velocity percentage than the faster lighter bullet in shorter than normal barrels. This is because the bullet has more dwell time in the bore and has a greater opportunity to burn the powder before the bullet exits the bore. Powder that is burned outside the bore does nothing for velocity. The lighter faster bullets generally have more powder to burn and since the lighter faster bullets have less time in the bore they are not efficient burners of powder in the shorter barrels.
    Thank you!

I'M trying to stay away from +P and +P+ loads as my 17oz Ruger LC-9 pistol would have stout muzzle flip with same drastically cutting my accuracy and speed between shots. Now a good 147gr H/P such as the Federal HST looks promising with Paul Nowacks information and I'M hoping DocGKR or another reputable source has some 3.0" barrel testing data to confirm its accuracy.

Feedback Score
    OK. Whats the expansion window for 147gr loads?
    Well sir, you'll have to take that question to the manufacturer... I thought most 147gr would peter out @ 875 maybe 900 fps or something like that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    DocGKR,

Have you done any testing with the Corbon 95gr DPX H/P?

Corbon makes the below statement that all of the DPX line meets the FBI standard when tested with a medium of 10% ballistic gelatin with four layers of 10 oz denim barrier.

Sounds like the perfect short barrel 9mm load if independent testing confirms Corbon's claims.

Caliber: 9mm Luger
    Bullet Wt.: 95gr DPX
    Velocity: 1300fps
    Energy: 356ftlbs
    Test Barrel Length: 3.1 Inches

Info from http://www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Handgu...20/200/Product

DPX is a solid copper hollowpoint bullet that combines the best of the lightweight high speed JHPs and the heavy weight, deep penetrating JHPs. Recoil and recovery between shots are similar to the light weight rounds while soft tissue penetration is similar to the heavy weight rounds.

Hard barrier penetration on auto glass and steel are no problem for this all copper hollowpoint round. You get superb performance on these hard barriers while still maintaining safe soft tissue penetration depths.

The research and development team for CORBON products used the protocol from the FBI's testing procedures to develop the defensive line of DPX ammunition. They achieved soft tissue penetration of 12-17", with reliable and consistent expansion. The recovered bullets are 150% to 200% of the original size and 100% weight retention when recovered from the test medium of 10% ballistic gelatin with four layers of 10 oz denim barrier. The permanent crush cavity is also considerably larger than that of a typical JHP.

The all copper bullet construction makes it conquer hard barriers like auto glass and steel while still maintaining its integrity. This is an optimum load for Law Enforcement.
     Deep penetration on soft tissue 12-17"
     Easily conquers hard barriers like auto glass and steel
     Reduced recoil due to lighter weight projectile

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kh86 View Post
    Well sir, you'll have to take that question to the manufacturer... I thought most 147gr would peter out @ 875 maybe 900 fps or something like that.
    Every bullet has its velocity threshold. 124gr is different form 147gr rounds.

Feedback Score
    OK. Whats the expansion window for 147gr loads?
    Quote Originally Posted by kh86 View Post
    Every bullet has its velocity threshold. 124gr is different form 147gr rounds.
    Yup... they sure are. Don't forget bullet makeup/design/manufacturer/etc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Found this over on Glock Talk but Michael Shovel does not give any testing data to back up his claims.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229602

TeamCorbon

From the horses mouth instead of the internet commandos!

The 95 gr standard pressure DPX load in 9mm was designed for use in the smallest compact 9mm pistol. It actually mimics the performance of the 115 gr +P load fired from a full sized gun when the 95 gr load is fired from a compact 9mm. If you shoot the 115 gr +P 9mm DPX load from a gun with a 4-4.5" barrel into ballistic gelatin, it would give you 15-16" penetration with a recovered diameter of @ .60" The same results would be obtained using the 95 gr load in a 9mm pistol with a 3" barrel.

If you use the 95 gr DPX load in a full sized gun, it would give deeper penetration ( probably 19-20" in ballistic gelatin).
    www.CORBON.com
    Mike@CORBON.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wonder if the 9MM Luger 92.6 Grain Solid Copper Hollow Point that MagTech uses in there First Defense Ammunition line is the same bullet as the Corbon DPX load?

http://www.magtechammunition.com/sit...search=details

Feedback Score
    Any one have any info on the 9mm Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 124gr. +P?

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some time ago I had the opportunity to chronograph (Oehler M 35P at 10 ft) a 9mm Wather PPS (3.2" barrel) with some regular Gold Dot +P 124gr 9mm (part # 23617). Five shots averaged 1179 fps, which is about 96% of the published velocity on the Speer website.

I'm just some guy on the internet so take this with a grain of salt, but I would not worry about velocity loss from a 3" 9mm barrel with premium self-defense ammo.

It is better to select a proven duty round from Doc's list and test your protection handgun for reliability with it. It is futile to worry about velocity, expansion or penetration if your pocket pistol jams when it is needed most.
    “We didn't love freedom enough. And even more - we had no awareness of the real situation... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast