Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 complete uppers

Feedback Score
    I was able to get the Tac Sol charging handle to begin working properly in the CMMG upper. I could see parts of the charging handle that were rubbing/ binding. I polished it up with some 400 grit sandpaper then applied a bunch of FP10 lubricant all over the charging handle. Cycled the charging handle about 50 times and by the end it was no longer binding.

With regard to the use of the match trigger in combination with a Tac Sol, what do you consider a match trigger? I have used the Geissele SSA-E, which I consider a match trigger in conjunction with the Tac Sol upper. I experienced no significant reliability issues. I will soon see if it works with the CMMG upper.

I know there are some reports of notched hammers not working with the 22 uppers, but I have not experienced this. My duty rifle is a standard Colt 6940, with the standard notched hammer (no way in hell I would be allowed to put the SSA-E in my duty rifle). I have not had any problems running a Tac Sol upper or a CMMG conversion kit in my Colt lower. As of my next range session, I will find out if it also works with the CMMG upper.

I think the key to any of these conversion kits/ dedicated uppers is the use of ammo the kit/ upper likes, liberal amounts of lubricant on the action and cleaning the action or at least adding more lubricant after several hundred rounds.

I don't even begin to consider the Ruger 10/22 in the same category as an AR with dedicated upper. The 10/22 is a straight up plinker... and much less expensive. However, with the exception of basic marksmanship, nothing about the 10/22translates over to Duty/ Personal Defense rifles.

My first attempt at cheap/ available practice (my local pistol club/ range does not allow the use of centerfire rifles) was the S&W15-22... close, but WAY too light to mimic my duty rifle (but is great for introducing my children to shooting). Then I went to a conversion kit... worked but fouled up my duty rifle upper to no end. I have progressed to the dedicated Tac Sol and now CMMG uppers... should have started there to begin with!

With department budgets in the tank, we are rarely qualifying with our duty rifles. I am able to get on a nearby military base's Rod and Gun club a few times a year to get some additional practice in with the real stuff... but I go to my local pistol club a couple times a month. I shoot several hundred rounds through the 22lr uppers during each session and 5000+ rounds a year. Absent the ability to use the rifle at my local range, I would probably wouldn't put 500 rounds down range in a given year.

I think 22lr uppers/ conversion kits are a great way to work on gun handling/ transition, target acquisition and trigger control. The only thing that does not perfectly translate over is recoil management... which isn't too much of an issue with the 5.56 anyway. As long as one is training themself not to touch off the follow-up shot until the sight is back on target, the training/ practice should translate over just fine. I know that my proficiency with the duty rifle has increased greatly since I increased my trigger time ten fold by using this tool.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree with everything stated except the lube.
    A parkerized kit will take more lube. I always recommend the stainless. It's stronger, slicker, uses less lube-1 drop of oil per rail-which translates into cleaner, longer run time.
    Lube will attract all the left over crud from .22 LR.

I too was on a PD where funding was low. That got me interesting in the dedicated uppers for training.
    I consulted with CMMG on the Evolution. It was actually designed with the features originally toward L.E.O. and military trainers, with the same functions and nearly identical weight as the duty weapon.
    Also using the same familiar trigger the officer was already used to.
    The uppers caught on quickly with the public.
    Veru reliable system.
    Dave
    Independent Field Testing/R & D

Better to die for something than live for nothing

Feedback Score
    Re: my previous question about using the TacSol upper with match type triggers....must be a super ninja secret judging by responses (NONE) Oh well!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wish I could answer that but I've not tried the TacSol with a match trigger. If you have issues, it will be due to the weakened hammer spring causing light strikes. You can increase the tension of the hammer spring or decrease the tension of the firing pin spring.
    Dave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Re: my previous question about using the TacSol upper with match type triggers....must be a super ninja secret judging by responses (NONE) Oh well!

The Giessele SSA is considered a “match type trigger” per your original question.

I searched and posted user’s experiences on TOS of a match trigger/hammer combination used with the Tac Sol upper.

cmb2474 posted his experience of the Tac Sol with a match trigger (again, the SSA-E).

I found these threads to answer your question with a basic search on this forum…

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-50085.html
    https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-52222.html
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53378

Feedback Score

CMMG upper

I just put one on my Spikes lower, with the JP yellow spring set up!
    It funny, in the 223 upper all the rounds fire. However when I replace the 223 upper with the CMMG M4LE set up- not a round would go off- light hits.
    I replace the hammer spring with a factory one- put the top end back on-and fired 300 rounds of Fed. bulk, as well as 100 rds. of Win Super-X and another 100 rds. of CCI. Federal was 36gr. and the other stuff was 40gr.
    The two CMMG mags held the bolt open, with the BHOA plate. Two BLk Dogs with the new style followers and springs also held the bolt open.
    All in all it was well worth the $400+ I spent. I just today sold my trusted and proven Sig 522!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you want to use the JP spring, use a lower powered firing pin spring.
    Dave

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    delete

Feedback Score
    I have a spikes tactical dedicated 22 lr upper, it functions great with nearly all ammo I've tried, with the exception of a couple of obscure brands. That being said...Spikes makes a good product, but their customer service is slipping significantly...so much so I couldn't recommend them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spikes discontinued the ST22 for lack of quality control. Claimed they couldn't get good parts from suppliers.
    Last edited by shadow65; 08-09-11 at 21:26.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast