Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALICE replacement

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

ALICE replacement

I am going to be taking a collateral duty assignment where we are issued an ALICE pack and some other gear. I anticipate spending up to a week in the brush. My military experience with the ALICE pack was less than positive.

Can you recommend a replacement pack? Please list some pros/cons of whatever you suggest.

I am aware of the Tactical Tailor modifications available, but just do not like the way the ALICE ruck rides.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does it need to be a "military style" or can it be civilian pack?

If military type, will you be wearing body armor in conjunction with the pack?

Also, do you know what size you need or how much weight you will be carrying?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    I have been using a Kelty Military pack for a few years now. Well, technically two Kelty packs. I have one ruck-sized and one 3 day-sized pack. The good part about both is they have internal aluminum stays for support. This is appreciated in the 3-day as we always end up carrying more than needed. I would recommend both.

As for use, the 3-day has more use as I haven't had to carry a large enough load to justify a ruck except for a handful of times. The 3-day has one 12 month tour, a metric crap load of hunting trips, and several 1-3 day light backpacking trips. It is by far my favorite.

Some other favorites I have seen around are the Camelbak Trizip (basically a Mystery Ranch design). Those are being issued in AFG and everyone I know that managed to keep one swears by them.

I have used a Kifaru. I still own a Scout. It is my favorite when I don't need the capacity of the Kelty 3-day. I sold my EMR to fund BOTH Keltys. It was a good pack, but I needed a slightly larger 3-day and by selling the EMR used and beat up, I was able to buy 2 packs as well made IMHO. The Keltys have the weight advantage when compared to the Kifaru too. Ounces add up.

I also have a Eberlestock. When I first started looking into one, I was skeptical. I figured they would be good at carrying a long gun (my primary purpose), but terrible in terms of use as "a pack". I was truly wrong. They are very well made and well thought out. Excellent suspension and straps.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Does it need to be a "military style" or can it be civilian pack?

If military type, will you be wearing body armor in conjunction with the pack?

Also, do you know what size you need or how much weight you will be carrying?
    It will need to be a military style pack and I will be wearing body armor. It will have to be able to accommodate the same amount of gear as a GI Large ALICE ruck.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjosh View Post
    It will need to be a military style pack and I will be wearing body armor. It will have to be able to accommodate the same amount of gear as a GI Large ALICE ruck.
    I think your only two options are Eberlestock and Mystery Ranch.
    Kifaru also has great packs (I own a couple) but I'm not sure how adjustable they are for armor. My EMR has been in storage for years now.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Have you looked into the Down East 1606AC replacement frame for the ALICE?
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have doen the Down East mod, it is a terrific mod for the money!
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    See if they will issue you a Marine Corps ILBE pack designed by Arcteyrx. There are three sizes, an "assault" day pack, a "recon" medium overnighter and a big rucksack. The rucks are very military, carry a huge load and are very comfortable. The only downer with mine is that it is a bit heavy duty for long distance backpacking. You can get one off ebay if your department won't issue one.

Border Rat that returned to Indian Territory.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I think your only two options are Eberlestock and Mystery Ranch.
    Kifaru also has great packs (I own a couple) but I'm not sure how adjustable they are for armor. My EMR has been in storage for years now.
    Plus one for a Mystery Ranch. They make a very durable, and comfortable 3 Day Assault pack. As comfortable, as carrying a pack mule type load, can be made.
    Last edited by arbninftry; 07-08-11 at 22:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Bravo View Post
    See if they will issue you a Marine Corps ILBE pack designed by Arcteyrx. There are three sizes, an "assault" day pack, a "recon" medium overnighter and a big rucksack. The rucks are very military, carry a huge load and are very comfortable. The only downer with mine is that it is a bit heavy duty for long distance backpacking. You can get one off ebay if your department won't issue one.
    I have heard the Marines are dumping the IBLE because it does not play nice with plate carriers.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast