Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ALICE replacement

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Bravo View Post
    See if they will issue you a Marine Corps ILBE pack designed by Arcteyrx. There are three sizes, an "assault" day pack, a "recon" medium overnighter and a big rucksack. The rucks are very military, carry a huge load and are very comfortable. The only downer with mine is that it is a bit heavy duty for long distance backpacking. You can get one off ebay if your department won't issue one.
    lejueneyardsales.com/pendaltonyardsales.com you can find the ILBE pack for cheap.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I have heard the Marines are dumping the IBLE because it does not play nice with plate carriers.
    Marsoc still uses the ALICE, from A&S to the teams. They upgrade the straps,belt and all that, but still use the stock sacks and frame. The ilbe get interesting when you have a vest with cumberbun, battle belt and the pack waist belt all crowding your 6 pack/keg area. You can still make it work a keep the majority of the load on your hips.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Bravo View Post
    See if they will issue you a Marine Corps ILBE pack designed by Arcteyrx. There are three sizes, an "assault" day pack, a "recon" medium overnighter and a big rucksack. The rucks are very military, carry a huge load and are very comfortable. The only downer with mine is that it is a bit heavy duty for long distance backpacking. You can get one off ebay if your department won't issue one.
    I just purchased an ILBE ruck in like new condition for $40 on Craigs List. They were averaging $175-$200 on EBAY for lesser condition.
    Last edited by sgtjosh; 10-13-11 at 17:27.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    +1 for Mystery Ranch especially because of their system that is tailored to armor.

I used a CSM Gear mountain ruck for a month long training exercise and was pretty satisfied. Loads were between 55-75lbs. No armor though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Anything but the ILBE

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    I have heard the Marines are dumping the IBLE because it does not play nice with plate carriers.
    Not sure about details, but I've heard this too.

Without any armor on, it's actually kind of nice, but with armor it's a pain in the butt. Also, with only one effective opening, it's a major hassle to get anything out of the bottom, like your sleep system or whatever.

I've heard from a reliable rumor mill that there's something new coming our way. Good news for me. In the mean time I'm going to make a visit to Saigon Sam’s...
    Last edited by T-Dot; 10-23-11 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dot View Post
    Not sure about details, but I've heard this too.

Without any armor on, it's actually kind of nice, but with armor it's a pain in the butt. Also, with only one effective opening, it's a major hassle to get anything out of the bottom, like your sleep system or whatever.

I've heard from a reliable rumor mill that there's something new coming our way. Good news for me. In the mean time I'm going to make a visit to Saigon Sam’s...
    I read the same rumor. Luckily for me, I only wear my soft armor when carrying the ruck. The plates will likely be inside.
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjosh View Post
    I read the same rumor. Luckily for me, I only wear my soft armor when carrying the ruck. The plates will likely be inside.
    In that case, you're set. I hope it works out well for you!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Although I hate Botach, they have Kelty packs on sale right now. I may have to get a Falcon. It is only $150.
    NRA Life Member

-E. Hemingway

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Just a heads up regarding the Kelty Falcon. There's a guy on ebay selling them for 134.95 w/ free shipping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12