Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Achilles Strain - What to do?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Some Achilles pain is considered "normal" while transitioning to barefoot/minimalist running, but it sounds like you may have actually damaged yours. Mine ached quite a bit now and then but it was never so painful I couldn't run.

I would suggest downloading and reading this free copy of Jason Robbillard's "The Barefoot Running Book" if you don't already have a copy. He is making this available himself so don't worry that it's an illegal download or anything.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mvlk66bp7i5lh7a

Good luck on a quick and full recovery!

Derek
    An evil soul wields an evil sword.

On the spreading edge of the butter knife
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger seven View Post
    I would suggest downloading and reading this free copy of Jason Robbillard's "The Barefoot Running Book" if you don't already have a copy. He is making this available himself so don't worry that it's an illegal download or anything.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mvlk66bp7i5lh7a

Good luck on a quick and full recovery!

Derek
    Awesome link. Thanks Derek.
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    To echo some of the advice given earlier, get some medical advice. I have had a complete rupture of my left achilles tendon and had it surgically reconstructed/reattached. Takes a while to recover and the older you get the tougher it will be. Luckily, I had a great doc who did the surgery and managed my rehab.
    Dulce bellum inexpertis

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5cary View Post
    I was kidding about the pills. Sort of.

Anyway, I'll see a doc. Last thing I need is to turn another 3 months of no running into a year of no running.

Thanks again.
    Don't make the same mistake I made. I was out of running for well over a year so listen when your body tells you something is wrong. And ya they will make you take therapy, but I think stretching is one of the best things you can do, a little before your run and a lot after your run

On the spreading edge of the butter knife
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For anyone interested, I found this helpful summary link on Achilles Injuries.

Doctor's appt is tomorrow.
    Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Barefoot running is great if your body can handle it. All of my friends in my martial arts school have been doing it. My buddy is up to 10 miles at a time totally barefoot. I tried it because I have flat feet and I have been at it for 6 months now and honestly it is just NOT working for me. So I think there are just some who can handle it and some who can't. Maybe you are one of the guys who cant? I don't know if this is helpful at all, but it's getting so big I think people forget it's not gonna be for everyone. I know your pain though because there are some days I can barely walk let alone run barefoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Don't count on anything you don't sleep with attached to your body to be present when you have to fight for your life.
    I will never get to train as much as I want to. So when I do I need to make it count.
    F@ck Yolo. Bangarang!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Odd aside...

Was never really a fan of barefoot running except on the sand, but thought the minimalist idea was a good one. Well, long story short, I was out at the Merrell Down and Dirty the other weekend and tried on the Trail Gloves. They were awesome, comfortable and my knees don't hurt during runs.

Try them out.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Men-Foo...Shoes-Barefoot

Hope this helps and you're doing well.

H
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."-Thomas Paine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12