Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help: 300 win mag

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

need help: 300 win mag

Let me preface by saying i have limited internet access where i am, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

i cant spend hours researching, but i'm looking for a long range rifle in 300 win mag, preferably semi-auto with a large detachable magazine, say 10 rounds or more if possible.. thanks in advance guys!!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Some guy not brave enough to put his name on it, so he slapped Jefferson's name on it.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The question is kind of vague to be answered properly.

What is it about the .300WM that you like better than non-magnums or even say a WSM? There aren't many semi-auto magnums.

I guess what I'm asking is what are your needs for the gun to be able to do? Bench? Field? Prone shooting? Target? Hunting? Sniping?
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    kind of an all-purpose rifle, and i like the 300 magnum cause of the availability of ammo and the ballistics, and range..
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Some guy not brave enough to put his name on it, so he slapped Jefferson's name on it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by l3mon View Post
    kind of an all-purpose rifle, and i like the 300 magnum cause of the availability of ammo and the ballistics, and range..
    Have you ever even fired a .300 Magnum?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Have you ever even fired a .300 Magnum?
    as of yet no.. but how is that helpful?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The only three, relatively common, semi-autos .300WM I can think of are Benelli, BAR and I think Winchester has one.

All of them are hunting rifles so none of them are hi-cap magazines and I'd bet additional magazines are pricey and in general I know nothing at all about them.

If you've got a lot of coin (I do mean a lot of coin not to mention the problem of actually finding one for sale) I think the WA2000 came in .300WM though they're mostly collector pieces and I've no idea how many are actually in the states.

I'd maybe consider a bolt gun your options are much greater for that caliber and the .300WM lends itself more to bolt guns. The .300WSM or SAUM might give you more options in semi-auto.

Alternatively if you're not wedded to .300WM, I'd perhaps look at 8mm, I think they're making an M-14 variant as well as the Yugo Zastava rifle.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 07-08-11 at 09:45.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutshot John View Post
    The only three, relatively common, semi-autos .300WM I can think of are Benelli, BAR and I think Winchester has one.

All of them are hunting rifles so none of them are hi-cap magazines and I'd bet additional magazines are pricey and in general I know nothing at all about them.

If you've got a lot of coin (I do mean a lot of coin not to mention the problem of actually finding one for sale) I think the WA2000 came in .300WM though they're mostly collector pieces and I've no idea how many are actually in the states.

I'd maybe consider a bolt gun your options are much greater for that caliber and the .300WM lends itself more to bolt guns. The .300WSM or SAUM might give you more options in semi-auto.

Alternatively if you're not wedded to .300WM, I'd perhaps look at 8mm, I think they're making an M-14 variant as well as the Yugo Zastava rifle.
    awesome john, thanks for giving me a start!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have a few more options for you. The Cobb Multi cal rifle, Armalite AR10 in 300 SAUM, and then there are these link below.

http://onlylongrange.com/badnews.asp

http://www.rndrifles.com/firearms/

http://www.cheytac.com/

These are not linked direct to a specific weapon you will have to search there sites. I dont have any first hand experience with anything I just linked or mentioned.
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 07-08-11 at 13:25.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Never mind......go get whatever you want. I'm sure it will make you look like an ace.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You may find the 300 magnum is not as much fun to shoot as you imagine, especially in a rifle weighing less than 10 pounds.

I really thought this thread was going to be a waste of bandwidth until I saw this which I did not know existed. Pretty cool. To bad I spend my last $10K of mad money keeping my stepdaughter's husband out of jail. I figured it was cheaper to do that than to raise his kids. He's going to pay me back. Maybe then I'll buy one.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 07-09-11 at 07:38.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast