Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need help: 300 win mag

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Never mind......go get whatever you want. I'm sure it will make you look like an ace.
    theres a reason i placed a ? at the end of my sentence, as in i was honestly asking why that was significant.. i've read that the 300WM has a lot of recoil but i dont know from first hand..
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Some guy not brave enough to put his name on it, so he slapped Jefferson's name on it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have had 2 300 Win Mags both Browning A-Bolts. One kicked like a 308, I bought it used and the previous owner had installed a nice muzzle break. The other, and I am not sensitive to recoil, kicked like a broke dick mule. Obviously a bull barrel "tactical" style rifle would not be that bad, but an 8 pound skinny barrel hunting rifle has major pop on both ends.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What you seek is made by Walther the WA2000 they go for around30K when they do come up for sale which is almost never.

Cobb was bought by Bushmaster and hasnt done squat with the MCR so yer SOL there as well.

Honestly 300WM should stay in a bolt platform. Which is more important to you semi auto or a heavy Long range round?

If you are more concerned about the round then look at bolt actions in 300WM and 338LM not much difference in price of the rifles but significant in cost of ammo.

If you are hell bent on a gas gun you cant go wrong with an LMT MWS and several caliber choices can be had for it from cutom smiths as well as from LMT.

In a nutshell we need more infor as to what the application would be.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I couldn't have said it better myself...oh wait I did.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    after doing some research i think i'm going to have to go bolt-action, looking specifically at the armalite, but at 12lbs and 48" long.. but the price tag is where i'd want it.. and yeah i lol'd at the wa2000..
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Some guy not brave enough to put his name on it, so he slapped Jefferson's name on it.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'd consider a Remmy 700...a good deal lighter than 12 lbs and significantly cheaper than the Armalite.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 07-10-11 at 11:31.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had my Savage .300WM out to the range this weekend to try out the new Surefire MB762-401R muzzle brake I had installed. It's a "Precision" rig and weighs about 13lbs with optic. Before the brake it jumped alot when shot off the bipod, enough that I couldn't self spot. Now it is more well behaved and I can now self spot. Noone else was on the range to tell me how loud or blasty the MB762 was, from the shooters perspective I didn't notice any change.

I just picked up a "spare" use Savage 110 LE in .300WM for something like $440. If you're willing to look at a Savage check on out also. I have not had it out to the range yet, still figuring out what stock I'm going to put it in.
    Last edited by DMR; 07-11-11 at 10:14.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Armalight isnt a go to name in precision long range rifles.

Get a Rem 700 5R and a quality optic. Next either invest in ammo or reloading gear.

Once you figure out how to drive the rifle you can change out the stock and other items you may not like. I would advise against changing too much at first as you will learn by trigger time what you like and disslike about the rifle.

Savage makes a great rifle BUT the 700 is the action the bulk of custom smiths work on and a platform that offers the most options in the way of aftermarket drop in upgrades.

Feedback Score
    A friend of mine just got a TRG42 in 300 Win Mag, as he wanted more than my TRG in 308, it wasnt that bad, but when he poined up and bought the muzzle break, it now kicks less than my 308. I also like that you can get extra mags, and bipod, sure their accessories are as expensive as hell, but you buy over time its not to bad.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As of right now they are only offering a 308 version but rumor is the 300WM and 338 versions are in the works. http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/index.php
    Allows use of AI magazines in TRG, AI mags are much less expensive and way easier to find.

As for the bipod, its cool but not as functional as an ATLAS. You can add a pic rail to the anshutz(sp?) rail on the bottom of the TRG or wait a wee bit longer untill Kasey releases the TRG ATLAS adapter that will mount to the factory bipod socket.

Many other accessories such as Pic Rails, brakes etc that are not factory Sako that are much less expensive than the OEM TRG stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast