Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 express or Wingmaster

Feedback Score

870 express or Wingmaster

Guys here is the situation. I want a shotgun for all around use, I've looked at several and like the 870 line (especially the price).
    I ran across a 870 express at Dick's for $275...wood finish nice gun.
    then last night I came across the 870 Wingmaster used for $275. (great condition from the pics I saw)

The WM is a 20g and the Express is a 12g.........

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the express right now, NIB and I can put hands on it. (plus I think I'd prefer a 12 to 20)
    Building my first AR-15

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would go with a clean used wingmaster any day over the express...slicker than snot on a doorknob.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    what is your definition of all around use? I have an 18.5in barrel Mossberg 500 for home and range use, but would rather use my Wingmaster for pork acquisition activities.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    My Dad had a Wingmaster, and it was one sweet shotgun. I have the 870 Express in 12 ga, mainly because of the affordability at the time. My only drawback in your situation is the Wingmaster is in 20 ga. I have no experience with a 20 ga, but it would not be my ideal choice for a shotgun I planned to use for self-defense purposes. I would go with the 12, but this is because I have a safe full of various 12 ga loads. If I didn't, it would be a tough choice. That being said, I have no reservations about my 870 express other than I don't have a heat shield over the bbl. She gets a wee bit toasty when you empty a couple of tubes in rapid succession.

The main drawback in the express is that it is strictly a self-defense gun at my house. I have a 1300 Winchester NWTF edition that I use for hunting purposes.
    Last edited by goodoleboy; 07-14-11 at 10:30.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    All around being second line Home defense, a little bird, a little clay, and a little just messing around.

20 vs 12 is really what I'm considering more than anything.
    Building my first AR-15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple7 View Post
    All around being second line Home defense, a little bird, a little clay, and a little just messing around.

20 vs 12 is really what I'm considering more than anything.
    In that case, I would probably go with the Wingmaster. Much more versitile gun, IMHO.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    An 870 express is not fit for combat or any type of use where it has to last.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do both the guns have the flex tab system? If so, to me its not a hard decision, Wingmaster..

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    An 870 express is not fit for combat or any type of use where it has to last.
    Quantify that statement. Are you referring to the plastic trigger housing, the QC, the plugged tube, etc.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    Do both the guns have the flex tab system? If so, to me its not a hard decision, Wingmaster..
    Without a doubt, the Wingmaster is a finer weapon. However, we cannot overlook the issue of 12 ga vs. 20 ga. IMHO, I think 20 ga is suitable for (inside the) home defense and well as recreational shooting. This is especially true if being used by women or youth shooters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast