Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone shoot around here?

Feedback Score

Anyone shoot around here?

Hey, I'm pretty new here to M4Carbine, and was stoked to see that there is a Virgina specific training forum. But after reading a bit, it sounds like Virginia (especially Northern VA) isn't the most active place for shooting. There don't seem to be many clubs/ranges around and the ones that are here are more geared toward stationary slow-fire, and no shoot & move type stuff. I can't even find a 3-gun match around here...

So am I missing something, or does that pretty much sum it up? Please tell me I've got it wrong...
    Last edited by BlueLine; 07-12-11 at 19:06.

Feedback Score
    IM sent

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Yeah, pretty much. I did a farly comprehensive search last year for ranges in VA that would at least accept rifle shooters, nevermind even practical shooting, and there weren't hardly any- at least not mid-to-south VA where I'm at.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Jellybean did you check out BlackCreek. It's off I-64/I-295 at eastern Henrico/Hanover border. Near RIC airport.

They have 25, 50, 100 yrd ranges for rifle but no moving. It's all from a shooting station/bench.

On the weekends they have various matches IDPA, Cowboy, I think even 3 Gun

They renew every year Jan 1 on a first come first served basis. No matter when you join it's full fee $100 for year. The thing to do is sign up for weekday only membership. That way you will be on the list for next years renewal. Send you renewal back as soon as it arrives

It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

Feedback Score
    wmounts - Thanks for the info in the IM.

Jellybean - Yeah, that's pretty much the same story I've found up here in NoVA as well. It looks like Izaak Walton will be my best bet.

Too bad I don't own a big piece of land out here where I can shoot and invite others to come shoot with me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Hard to find a match round here.....

Feedback Score
    "The Dude" - man, right now I'd just settle for a good outdoor range where I can shoot!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Then we need to take a trip some Sunday out to the COVE........Great out door Range. You want to shoot it bring it and I mean you want to shoot at a TV then bring a TV....Its just a Pit in theside of a Hill...Its been a while but always have a great time every time I head out there. It is about 15 miles west of Winchester VA on Hwy 50. Google the Cove Campground Winchester VA. Last time I went you needed a 4x4 or truck to make it to the range the road was washed out pretty bad.

Dave

Feedback Score
    55 (100%)
    Blackcreek was pretty bad but better than nothing. Life is much better out where I am now....3,200 acres and a 300M range. I just have to get some more steel targets. The ONLY down side is the grass has to be cut, lol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLine View Post
    Jellybean - Yeah, that's pretty much the same story I've found up here in NoVA as well. It looks like Izaak Walton will be my best bet.

Good luck with Izaak Walton. If you're speaking of the one in Amherst County, they can be strict on the range rules. No move n shoots, the rifle area is all bench type shooting, and they tend to freak out when anyone brings full auto, even if you show them the proper paperwork and a badge...

If you're willing to go that far, come about 30-40 minutes farther to Lynchburg. I've got access to a couple of PD shooting ranges where I can run pretty much whatever (safe!) drills I wish too...
    Wil
    See how easy life can be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast