Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Area CHL instructor?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Dallas Area CHL instructor?

Are any members here a CHL instructor or would recommend a good all inclusive class in the Dallas area? My wife and I are looking for a class in the very near future.

Perhaps if allowed we could use this thread to list the DFW local CHL classes members have attended, and give our thoughts or ratings. (If this is allowed, if not Mods please remove or contact me.) Thank you,
    Last edited by tnt1106; 07-14-11 at 08:15. Reason: sp

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    While I can't really make any solid recommendations for a "good" all-inclusive CHL class, I can certainly let you know one to avoid at all costs. I renewed back in May at Texas Handgun Academy (Plano Rd just nort of 635), and the instructor was so bad that I sent a complaint to DPS.

Not only was the instructor completely wrong about several things, including MPA and related changes in the last legislative session, he made a comment stating that he had no respect for law enforcement officers and characterized them in rather unflattering terms. The instructor was loud, obnoxious, and consistently referred to handguns as "peestolas." He provided considerable assistance on the written exam to three females in the class seeking renewal, and ignored the fact that a woman shooting in the lane next to me repeatedly shot my target and then flagged the person on the other side of her. We renewal folks also left there considerably early and with less time in than required by DPS. Not that I'm really complaining at all on that one...

The management had no interest in my concern about their instructor, either. I'm no saint and could overlook most of his personality quirks not to my liking, but I left there feeling genuinely sorry for the folks left behind to spend the rest of their afternoon with that asshole. Most importanly, I left there feeling like those people were not going to be prepared for carrying concealed.

Sorry if this sounds like a bitchy rant, but CHL is serious business and must be treated as such if we're to keep it. Ass clowns like this guy have no business ****ing up the deal. I'll happily provide the individual's name in PM, too.
    Last edited by afff_667; 07-14-11 at 13:56. Reason: Spelling
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^ This is a perfect reply. Although not positive, it DOES positively help me rule out that store and class. We live close to there and I don't care for that store in general. Looks like its run by a bunch of cowboys gone Nascar.. Thank you for the sound advice, I agree CHL should be done by the book. This will be my wife's first class, I want it to be an accurate, and pleasant experience.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I did my initial CHL class and my renewal at Bullet Trap in Plano.

The instructors were pretty good about conflict avoidance, and stressing the fact that "can" does not mean "should". I've seen instructors that failed to understand that.

Plus they can do all the prints, range quals, etc. You can even shoot one of their range guns, if you wish.

I've got a renewal coming up, and will probably go back there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I did my initial CHL class and my renewal at Bullet Trap in Plano.

The instructors were pretty good about conflict avoidance, and stressing the fact that "can" does not mean "should". I've seen instructors that failed to understand that.

Plus they can do all the prints, range quals, etc. You can even shoot one of their range guns, if you wish.

I've got a renewal coming up, and will probably go back there.

To clarify: Bullet Trap can do the newly required L1 Prints on site?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That's a great question. I honestly do not know. They had a Richardson police officer come in and do the prints last time I was there. You might give them a hollar.

http://www.bullettrapinc.com/index.php

Feedback Score
    I have taken two CHL renewal classes at DFW Gun Range. I don't have much to compare them to (my original class was in College Station at Champion Firearms over 10 years ago), however they seemed to do an adequate job. I like the fact that they do pictures and prints the day of the renewal, so when you leave your renewal package should be completely done. I had a different instructor each time I did the class and probably couldn't remember their names if I had to. I'm up for renewal again next year and I might look into another option just to add some variety to the mix and to potentially get a more memorable instructor/presenter.

I do recall the instructor in my first renewal class un-necessarily calling out one guy during the shooting portion of the renewal for shooting a Ruger by saying, "you know what Ruger stands for?......dead in a gun fight" (meaning the Ruger won't run). While most people here may agree with his assessment, embarrassing someone in front of at least half of the class probably wasn't the best way to educate this person. I believe he also called out a lady who could not figure out how to fire her weapon during a RENEWAL class. Now I can't fault him for doing that. Seems as if the instructor during the second renewal class was a bit hum-drum and not very engaging as a presenter.
    Last edited by rudy99; 07-19-11 at 17:30. Reason: clarification
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    Nevermind......
    Last edited by BigBoss0311; 07-18-11 at 19:41.

Feedback Score

CHL Class in DFW area...

New indoor range in N.Ft. Worth conducts the CHL class fairly regularly.
    Check them out at:
    shootsmarttx.com
    Good hunting...
    later.....mr.t. from Cville

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss0311 View Post
    Nevermind......
    BB,

I agree with your assessment due to several past sales / interactions with this store. Curious as to your edit. PM or txt me for further discussion please!

Where NOT to go is as important as where to go. Thank everyone for their input thus far.

Any input on http://www.txconcealedcarry.com/ ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast