Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dallas Area CHL instructor?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss0311 View Post
    Nevermind......
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt1106 View Post
    BB,

I agree with your assessment due to several past sales / interactions with this store. Curious as to your edit. PM or txt me for further discussion please!

Where NOT to go is as important as where to go. Thank everyone for their input thus far.
    Care to enlighten the rest of us? I missed the post before it was edited.
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    I have taken two CHL renewal classes at DFW Gun Range.
    They are adequate. Being able to do the photos, fingerprints and paperwork on-site is a nice touch.

As far as I am concerned CHL classes are a means to an end, just like a driving exam. You will need to do a lot of reading, thinking and practice on your own to become conversant both in shooting skills and in the law regarding deadly force. I would recommend using the CHL class to get your CHL and get professional training from a well-vetted source.
    Last edited by TriumphRat675; 07-20-11 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    double tap sorry
    Last edited by tnt1106; 07-20-11 at 10:33. Reason: double

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Care to enlighten the rest of us? I missed the post before it was edited.
    Speaking only for my own experiences at BT, everytime I have been in there to shop or shoot, the staff seems too busy to answer questions I may have or too absorbed with what they "think" you should buy rather than answer questions about products based on fact. Again these are my experiences and hopefully others may vary.

[QUOTE=TriumphRat675;1052291]
    I have taken two CHL renewal classes at DFW Gun Range.

They are adequate. Being able to do the photos, fingerprints and paperwork on-site is a nice touch.

As far as I am concerned CHL classes are a means to an end, just like a driving exam. You will need to do a lot of reading, thinking and practice on your own to become conversant both in shooting skills and in the law regarding deadly force. I would recommend using the CHL class to get your CHL and get professional training from a well-vetted source.

I would agree with this, however how the material is presented can make a difference when in class for 8 hours.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt1106 View Post
    I would agree with this, however how the material is presented can make a difference when in class for 8 hours.
    Agreed, and to that extent, DFW Gun Range is adequate. The instructor was surly, but at least had a photoshop presentation with embedded video links. Also, free(ish) coffee helped keep me awake.

Feedback Score
    www.dentoncountysports.com

Good people.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I did my initial CHL class and my renewal at Bullet Trap in Plano.
    I never recommend doing any business with that range. Admittedly I have no experience with their CHL class, but my other experiences with them as a customer are valid. What they did to a friend of mine was uncalled for. They have earned their hard won reputation as slimeballs.

I have taken CHL classes with Larry Gresham of Silhouette Precision Sports(aka SPS Guns) in Carrollton. I would not recomend him for a damned thing, much less CHL instruction. Too many bullshit war stories of a war he was never in, not enough book instruction, more bullshit war stories of fights he was in stateside, tales of fantastic shots he's made, etc. Finger printing is available for an extra charge. He does not offer photographs.

I have taken the CHL at DFW Gun Range. It was far better than what Gresham offered. Doug Bingham was my instructor. I learned what I needed to know. The book was covered in depth, the shooting portion was as well. A safety briefing was held before we went onto the range, once there another was given. Finger prints and photos were part of the package. It was enjoyable, and Doug was fun.
    Last edited by Fail-Safe; 08-02-11 at 19:23.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12