Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22LR, the best teacher of precision rifle.

Feedback Score

22LR, the best teacher of precision rifle.

Every so often I hear talk about 22LR being useless as a long range training tool. I'm curious, how many of you here own a 22LR that can hold 1/2" or better at 50yds?

I have a couple, the favorite of which is a 40x. One thing that I've learned after putting a few thousand rounds through this rifle is that 22lr is more sensitive to user input than anything I have ever shot. It is harder to accurately shoot a 22lr at 50yds than it is to shoot any centerfire at 300yds. The reason for this is that the bullet is in the barrel for 3x longer than most centerfires. This means that you have 3x the time to affect the rifle.

Trigger control, finger placement on the trigger shoe, grip on the stock, cheek weld, breathing, follow through, bipod manipulation, etc. The list goes on and on, but the point is that any one of them is enough to throw a shot at 50yds.

The bedding must be perfect, and your rifle driving skills must be perfect each time to throw them in one hole at 50yds. To even hold 1/2" at 50yds is a remarkable feat. I recently attended an ARA match, in which the goal is to hold approximately 1/4" from center of POA. I shot better off a bipod than I did a one piece machine rest, simply because I was more familiar prone with a bipod and rear bag than I was up on a bench. Scoring over 2000 in these matches is considered an impressive feat. This really drove home just how difficult it is to consistently shoot a 22LR accurately.

As a result, I've spent more and more time behind my 40x. It is cheap, live-fire exercise that illustrates absolutely EVERY weakness in your shooting form, and does so at a close range. Virtually everyone can find a 50yd range to shoot at. The close distance also makes it easy to get instant feedback on your shots. A bad wind call at 50yds can result in a 1/2" shift in POI very easily, and you can see it immediately. Often, you can actually watch the bullet go down range and impact the paper. Along its flight path, you can witness the wind's effect as it happens in real time. You would not believe what this can teach you about how wind reacts to terrain.

If you don't own a good accurate 22lr, I highly suggest you get one and spend some time with it. It will let you get away with absolutely nothing, and if you put in the time, will make you a better shooter.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-15-11 at 18:16.

Feedback Score
    I have a Winchester low wall that I have been trying to shoot with some precision and find it maddening at times. But 50 yards off hand or prone will show you were you need improvement. Plus the lower price aspect of .22 is nice.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    while my barrel cools, i use my 10/22 at 100yrds. It lets me get more trigger time without burning up my match stuff. It can also help me slow down. plus its just fun.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This a .22 40X. I prefer it to an air rifle because it goes bang and fits like its 7.62 big brother.

A .22 at 200 yards can be equated to a 7.62mm at 1,000. That little 40-grain bullet is going to be affected by your position, technique, follow-through, and atmospherics like its big brothers -- at a fraction of the cost.

Good competition air rifles can keep you in shooting practice in the winter when the weather may be too harsh for routine plinking practice. They can challenge all your skills.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by orkan View Post
    Every so often I hear talk about 22LR being useless as a long range training tool. I'm curious, how many of you here own a 22LR that can hold 1/2" or better at 50yds?
    Definitely. That savage bull barrel bolt gun... I forget what model it is.

It's at least that accurate with Eley, Wolf, Federal AutoMatch, etc. Very fun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I too love the 'ol .22 LR. I have a CZ 452 "Trainer" that I've enjoyed shooting for a few years now.

I've shot it scoped, but I really like shooting it with the factory iron sites that came on it.

Feedback Score
    Ironically, with the kids getting up there and years and the price of ammo, I am putting together a "precision" .22LR this weekend.

Feedback Score
    The CMP still has a bunch of heavy barreled 40x receivers. Most will shoot quite well when setup with a PTG bolt and stock/trigger of your choice.

I'm addicted to the "big rifle" ergonomics of the 40x. Ruger 77/22 isn't too far behind that... but its usually more difficult to get them to behave themselves than the 40x.

What are you putting together TX Bob?
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaptrick View Post
    I too love the 'ol .22 LR. I have a CZ 452 "Trainer" that I've enjoyed shooting for a few years now.

I've shot it scoped, but I really like shooting it with the factory iron sites that came on it.

What distance do you usually shoot with irons?

And I'm thinking of scoping my Trainer...at least rimfire scopes aren't too terribly expensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast