Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 870P vs. 590a1?

Feedback Score
    I think it really just boils down to personal preference of either. Like Buck said they both go bang when you pull the trigger, unless a problem arises which is pretty equal in both.

I like the 590A1, thumb safety with a traditional stock is nice, slide release good location, feed ramp retracting I like, bayonet lug (sure why not?), basically personal preference.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    .... The big negative is that many of them have loosening safeties. The switches themselves become loose and can break off.....
    Do you think this could be repaired with some new parts or is the wear in the receiver?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'm not an armorer but they look like they could be fixed easily with a couple parts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 590A1 has the metal safety from the factory, shouldnt be an issue. If you are like me and cant find a 590A1 locally and have to settle for a 590, a $30 vangcomp safety fixes the issue and gives you a nicer, slightly larger safety to boot.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I didn't like the 590a1 because of the weight. I much prefer an 870 in that regard. If you have to pack it around you start to feel it and the added weight didn't do much to tame recoil so it wasn't worth it.

The other thing to think about is if you will ever put a red dot on it. The 590a1 with a ghost ring is drilled and tapped for a base, but you would need to remove the rear ghost ring to mount a base and find a different ghost ring rear.

If I had thought about it more and been more informed I would have just bought an 870 and called it good.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have a 590A1SPX. It performs amazingly well but with the heavy barrel walls, reinforced everything, it gets a little heavy, especially considering it's a 20" 8-shot shotgun. Slung I have had no issues with the weight, but then again I haven't gone on 5 hour patrols with it. Put a reduced LOP stock on it and you will feel a change in the balance of the shotgun; it's very beneficial to lose a couple inches in the back.

Reliability should not be a concern with either of these shotguns.
    I put the slight edge to the 590A1 in long term service life, just because of the heavier-duty parts.

ETA:
    The 590A1SPX also has a ported barrel; one of the things you would be paying extra for if you went the Vang Comp route. I used to have a regular 590A1 without a ported barrel, and the muzzle climb and felt recoil was significantly better on the SPX with the factory-ported barrel.
    Last edited by Travis B; 07-18-11 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    The other thing to think about is if you will ever put a red dot on it. The 590a1 with a ghost ring is drilled and tapped for a base, but you would need to remove the rear ghost ring to mount a base and find a different ghost ring rear.
    That is incorrect if you purchase the SPX. It comes with a picatinny rail, perfect for mounting optics.

Feedback Score
    Choose the one with a one-piece magazine tube...

Feedback Score
    Our agency has 870's that have the 14" bbl. It doesn't seem to matter how well maintained, or how clean, or how lubed the guns are... they have constant extraction issues. It is normal during a course of fire to have to slam the but of the weapon on the ground while racking the slide to get the empty shell out - several times.

On the flip side, my personal 590 has not had a single failure to extract with even low-brass shells. The 590 series have dual extractors.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    El Cid,

I would assume that the extractor is not the problem unless you could work the slide and have the shell still remain stuck in the chamber, as opposed to the slide and the shell both being stuck at the same time.

I have only experienced a shell sticking in the chamber one time, and the slide was also stuck. It turned out that we were shooting so many rounds over a short period of time that the chamber area of the barrel had gotten hot enough to soften (as in partially melt) the outer layer of the plastic hull, and then the shotgun was left unfired with this shell still in the chamber just long enough for the plastic to cool and become sort of 'glued' to the inside of the chamber. After allowing the shotgun's barrel to cool down, the problem went away.

Could this have been your agency's problem, too?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast