Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper Wear of Armor (with anatomical diagrams)

Feedback Score
    Panzerr, thanks. Great post!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for posting this.

I have several armor setups, but my grab and go light carrier is a simple Paraclete carrier with a tear-away IFAK, a mag shingle, and a few pistol mags. I just put it on and it appears by this I had it a couple of inches too low for summer wear (less clothing.) Thanks!

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Doc, let me clarify.

The trend towards smaller plates is with the civilians who have little or no experience with such things, like many folks here. They want plates for what ever personal reason, and think smaller will be better.
    In that case I have not seen anything like that... My bad, I thought we were talking about MIL use.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for the diagrams. I have heard this discussed, but never seen it illustrated. I wear my plates high like shown. I have had people ask "Why are your plates so high?"
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    In that case I have not seen anything like that... My bad, I thought we were talking about MIL use.
    Yeah, it's the opposite. You'll get some 5'5" 120lbs PFC being swallowed by an XL IOTV

On a serious note, take a look at the stateside "tactical circuit" and people are sporting smaller and smaller plates under the guise of weight savings, comfort, and mobility. You'll easily see 25-30% of the torso unprotected in some cases due to inadequate protection.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 07-22-11 at 19:39.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Yeah, it's the opposite. You'll get some 5'5" 120lbs PFC being swallowed by an XL IOTV

On a serious note, take a look at the stateside "tactical circuit" and people are sporting smaller and smaller plates under the guise of weight savings, comfort, and mobility. You'll easily see 25-30% of the torso unprotected in some cases due to inadequate protection.
    part of it is that nobody makes 24"x30" plates.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While size matters, at least the troops are getting armor...

ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    Your post just reminded me that I need to readjust my soft armor (kevlar). It sits a bit low below the juglur notch. Shame on me for letting it slide.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Okay, so let me see if I understand this. The down and dirty way to determine whether a front plate is the proper fit is if it protects approximately nipple to nipple on the horizontal plane and jugular notch to just above the navel on the vertical plane? And for the back you could arguably go one size larger?
    Last edited by RyanS; 07-26-11 at 09:09.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Tag for later
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast